Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 71,393 • Replies: 18
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 10:21 pm
Here is the website: Famous Gypsies
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 10:58 pm
Rita Hayworth married the Aga Khan which was surprising but knowing that is is of Roma makes sense same with Michael Caine marrying Shakira, an Indian model.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 11:31 pm
Ah, I forgot Elvis Presley
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 11:50 pm
Rita Hayworth and Charlie Chaplin

Rita & Charlie
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:42 am
I thought, pffft, he doesn't know what he's talking about.... then I realized you do. Interesting info.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:55 am
I used to watch a lot of movies. I used to see oldies. It was something to see John Wayne, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper as young men.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:16 pm
Mother Teresa is also Roma or gypsy.
0 Replies

sumnakay

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 11:58 am
Rita Hayworth was not of Romany origins, but Sephardi Jewish. The same is said of Ava Gardner, who was a Melungeon, but not a Romany Melungeon.
FlutterGirl

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 12:51 am
@sumnakay,
Hayworth was not Jewish. Her name may sound Jewish, but it's not her real name, her birth name was Margarita Carmen Cansino. Her grandfather was Antonio Cansino, a famous Gitano Gypsy who is credited with creating Spanish dance as it is known today, which is a combination of Flamenco (a dance created by Gitanos in Andalusia, Spain) with Spanish folk dance..with his most famous creation being the bolero dance. His son Eduardo Cansino, Rita's father, was a New York socialite that was known for his pride in his Gypsy heritage.

other famous confirmed Gypsies-
Carmen Amaya- a famous flamenco dancer
Michael Caine- born Maurice Micklewhite, his dad's side are South London Gypsy horse traders.
Charlie Chaplin- his mother's side are Rumney, from the Smith family.
Bill Clinton- born William Blythe III, his dad's side are Scottish Gypsies. While in office he quietly repealed the last of the laws against Gypsies in the United States, and appointed the first Gypsy to be director of the US Holocaust Memorial Council..
David Essex- born Albert Cook, he is Rumney, obviously from the Cook family, and he is the patron of the Gypsy Council for Education, Culture, Welfare, and Civil Rights.
Bob Hoskins- Most famous for his role as the detective in Who Framed Roger Rabbit..His mother's side is German Sinti.
Jem Mace- A famous Rumney bare-knuckle fighter known as the father of modern boxing, he established the Marquis of Queensbury rules, and boxing with gloves.
Freddie Prinze- born Frederick Karl Pruetzel of Hungarian Gypsy, and Puerto Rican parents.
Freddie Prinze Jr...obviously..
Django Reinhardt- born Jean-Baptiste Reinhardt. A French Manush was one of the greatest-ever composers of jazz music, considered the founder of Gypsy jazz interpretation. Credited by B.B.King and Duke Ellington as one of their inspirations. And, due to a fire accident that burned 40% of his body and left 2 of his fingers paralysed, he had to create a new way to play the guitar, which is now the standard way to play the guitar for all musicians.
Elvis Presley- his mother was from the Rumney Smith family and it is believed that his father was at least part German Sinti.
Mother Teresa- her being half Gypsy is the one thing everyone can agree on..it's the other half that gets debated LoL..
Johnny Cash- I believe he is actually Pavee (Irish Traveller), I am not sure. I just know he stated he is of Gypsy descent in his final autobiography.
Pablo Picasso- he was proud of his Gitano heritage.
Yul Brynner- His son claimed he was just a liar, but in order to be granted permission to open the largest camp site in London, he had to prove that he was, indeed, Russian Gypsy. He lied about where he was born, but he was telling the truth about his heritage..his son is just bitter and obnoxious (my fam knew Yul and his family when he lived in the "pyramid" house in Florida)..
Ronny Wood- from the Rolling Stones, he admitted he was Rumney when he turned 60 after his wife gave him a traditional bow top Gypsy wagon as a birthday gift.
Johnny Frankham- Rumney light heavyweight boxing champion, famous for having floored the great Cassius Clay.
Tracey Ullman- mother's side is Rumney.
talk72000

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 02:21 pm
@FlutterGirl,
Quote:
Yul Brynner

I thought he was mongolian and perfect for "The King and I".
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 02:28 pm
@talk72000,
He had a side business stealing chickens while putting on cheap aluminum siding all up and down the East Coast.
royable

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 01:01 pm
@talk72000,
Rita Hayworth, definitely.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 01:46 pm
I met a man many years ago. He was at one time the manager of the Grand Ole Opry. He was also a great friend of Johnny Cash. This man was a gypsy. One of his daughters married a Canuck and then retired he moved up here. First time in his life he lived in a house and had a backyard. He told me all kinds of interesting stories about the gypsies. There was one story, I've never been able to verify or find anything about. Apparently a mountain rock slide buried a group of gypsy caravans traveling somewhere in the States. One of his daughters was part of the archeology team, sifting through the debris and finding a wealth of information and lost artifacts. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, where this might be?
0 Replies

WashHtsGirl

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:08 pm
@FlutterGirl,
Freddie (Frederick Karl Pruetzel) Prinze's father (Edward Karl Pruetzel) was NOT of Hungarian Gypsy extraction. He was of Hungarian - German "Schwäbisch" Jewish extraction and he was born in Berlin, Germany.
0 Replies

coolnhotguy

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 09:05 am
@farmerman,
We never stole chickens buddy nor sold aluminum siding. We make a living from idiots like you.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 09:12 am
@coolnhotguy,
coolnhotguy wrote:

We never stole chickens buddy nor sold aluminum siding. We make a living from idiots like you.

Did you really resuscitate an almost three year old dead thread just to be a dickweed troll because someone made a dumb/boring joke?
visinaut

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 09:00 am
@tsarstepan,
Did you really just accuse someone of being a troll because they responded to an idiotic/racist comment?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 12:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
was that a dumb boring joke? Ive been worrying about that for over 2 years now
0 Replies