Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:52 am
Quote:

- Robbie Williams

dammit Burns
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:20 am
I gotta go with anti-American. I mean, really, he shouldn't be stating his opinion on an open discussion forum. How dare he! That's SOOO un-American!

Not to mention, the rest of us are all experts. What's he think he's doing hanging out with us?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:21 am
Ooops! Sorry, Steve. didn't realize you were right behind me. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:52 am
squinney wrote:
Ooops! Sorry, Steve. didn't realize you were right behind me. Embarrassed
thats ok Squinneroo. Some interesting comments. Nice hat.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:50 pm
Steve's just a Brit who thinks for himself. Nice guy, too.

KP
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:56 pm
I've met Steve, and from my personal experience, I say he's "pro-American." Like many of us, he's against Bush and the administration.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I've met Steve, and from my personal experience, I say he's "pro-American." Like many of us, he's against Bush and the administration.

That just makes him an intelligent and informed person.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:23 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

CJ $50 bloody cheek. I said £1.50

Look at that. That is an antiamerican comment if ever I saw one..

How dare you consider anything money that isn't a US dollar.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:24 pm
parados, You are very preceptive; something I missed in Steve. Wink
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:26 pm
well for all your comments, good bad or indifferent, I have to say thank you. I asked the question, and (much to my surprise) quite a lot of you answered!

Having just watched Manchester United demolish Portsmouth 3:0, I'm in no fit state to explain my feelings at the moment. However I can feel some sort of a conclusion formulating...so later for that...or is it a headache?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 09:19 am
ok personal confession time

A throw away comment by Tico that I brought anti americanism to every thread started me wondering. Am I or am I becoming anti American? So I thought I'd hold up a mirror and give a2kers a chance to tell me, and you have. At least you should give me some credit for that.

The fact is I am no more anti American than I am anti English. Because effectively we on this side of the pond are[/i] American in all but passport. Its taken me a long time to understand this, and there is still some element in me that reacts strongly against the notion, but the fact is the UK now is an associate member state of the Union. OK we have our own domestic policies...something similar to Home Rule I suppose, and we have our own quaint little ways of doing things, spelling for example, but when push comes to shove and Things Matter on the world stage, the UK is not just an ally of the USA but forms an integral part of the greater USA.

Its been this way for a long time, and of course has its origins in WW2, where in return for American help in defeating Hitler, Britain or rather Churchill pledged an unbreakable alliance among the "English speaking peoples". The military and intelligence alliance continues. But its more than that. American popular culture has been hugely influential in Britain, we absorb all that Hollywood churns out just like Americans. (And we have churned out some stuff ourselves). When you walk down a high street in Britain you see many American brand names. Unlike the French, we never put up much resistance to Americanisation. We might have thought some of it was plain daft, but in general we welcomed American chewing gum etc and American military bases and nuclear missiles alike. (Or rather British governments did...some people actually protested against making this country a prime target in a nuclear war].

On many threads on a2k I find myself using the pronoun 'we' meaning US and UK. [Iraq being a prime example. I get exasperated by the blundering mistakes of this administration...and frustrated when Americans dont learn from mistakes or listen to advice from people who do actually know something about Iraq...we invented that damned country and controlled it from its inception for just the same reason USUK forces invaded 80 year later...oil].

In US terms I am probably a 'liberal'...certainly I think society needs more than laissez faire capitalism and libertine "freedoms" to be considered civilised. [Of course that admirable document the US constitution provides a marvellous foundation for just that... why was it so easily abandoned in the face of Islamist terror?].

The particular comment I made which prompted Tico's charge of anti Americanism was to do with capital punishment. I'm against it (even for Saddam), and I do think states that have abandoned it have moved in a healthier and more civilised direction. But Americans who take the same view are not normally charged with being anti American, whereas this shot can be easily and cheaply made against those of us who do not hold US passports.

Anyway thanks for all your responses, including the fellow who threatened to have me arrested Smile Its been interesting.

So I've said enough, people are still free to come to their own conclusions about me, its a free country after all...now there's a rugby match on tv (thats like NFL + blood).

England v New Zealand...cant say which I'm supporting much too sensitive an issue round here.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 09:52 am
Well said, indeed, Steve.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 01:08 pm
thanks Merry

pity about the rugby result

(England 20 NZ 41)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:49 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
The particular comment I made which prompted Tico's charge of anti Americanism was to do with capital punishment. I'm against it (even for Saddam), and I do think states that have abandoned it have moved in a healthier and more civilised direction.

Your comment in the capital punishment thread, which prompted my throw away response, was: "I cant believe this debate still rages in the United States. All civilised societies have abandoned capital punishment long ago...but then perhaps the United States is not really civilised."

... which, with all due respect, is something an anti-American Euroweenie would say (calm down, Walter). Of course, in all honesty, I can envision many American leftists saying the very same thing.

My response in that thread was triggered by that comment, plus your earlier "American embarrassment" comment in the North Korea thread. In truth, you do not bring your "anti-Americanism" to every thread, but it has been more visible of late -- at least to me -- thus my observation.

And I do give you credit for holding the mirror up, Steve. BTW, I voted you as "Somewhat anti-American." I read all of your posts with interest, and I suspect you are indeed no more anti-American than you are anti-English.

Quote:
But Americans who take the same view are not normally charged with being anti American, whereas this shot can be easily and cheaply made against those of us who do not hold US passports.

Hmm, perhaps not .... it certainly is easier to level that charge against a non-American. But I assure you, Steve, I believe I would have made a similar comment regardless of the country of origin of the poster -- and I have certainly done so in the past.

Quote:
In US terms I am probably a 'liberal'.

Yes ... which may be why it is easy to mistake you for anti-American at times. The line between the two is often blurred. Razz
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:47 pm
It's all due to a misunderstanding as I explained on the "Is George anti-European" thread.

I came across a possible explanation in my reading today which I am working on condensing down into a post suitable for this thread. I am aware that long posts tire some readers out rather quickly and it is a mildly difficult point to get across in a soundbite.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 05:48 am
Ticomaya wrote:
In truth, you do not bring your "anti-Americanism" to every thread, but it has been more visible of late -- at least to me -- thus my observation.... I read all of your posts with interest, and I suspect you are indeed no more anti-American than you are anti-English.

Bloody hell, I had no idea anyone actually read it. Will try to be more circumspect in future Smile
0 Replies