Tom Cruise no longer a sex symbol

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:42 pm
A super star who had it all and couldn't handle it. The wealth and the adoration turned his small brain into mush.
Tom Cruise was sacked by his film studio amid allegations he is no longer a sex symbol.

The 'Top Gun' star was dropped by Paramount Pictures earlier this year and Sumner Redstone, the chief of Viacom - the company which owns Paramount - has now revealed why the decision was made.

Redstone claims his wife Paula's dislike of Cruise was the catalyst.

He said in an interview with Vanity Fair magazine: "Paula, like women everywhere, had come to hate him. The truth of the matter is I did listen to her.

"His behaviour was entirely unacceptable to Paula and to the rest of the world. He just didn't turn one woman off. He turned off all women, and a lot of men."

Redstone also cited Cruise's erratic behaviour, including his infamous 'couch-jumping' incident on Oprah Winfrey's chat show and his bizarre Scientology beliefs, as other reasons.

He added: "He was embarrassing the studio. And he was costing us a lot of money.

"When did I decide to fire him? I don't know. When he was on the 'Today' show? When he was jumping on a couch on 'Oprah'? He changed his handler, you know, to his sister - not a good idea.

"His behaviour cost us $113 million, $170 million on 'Mission: Impossible III'. It was the best picture of the three, and it did the worst.

"The explosion of publicly ending his contract was good. It sent a message to the rest of the world that the time of the big star getting all this money is over. And it is! I would like to think that what I did, or what we did, has had a salutary effect on the rest of the industry."
story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,053 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 01:34 pm
Tom's too old and has bad hair, so he can't be a sex symbol.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 03:19 pm
Don't know about the too old part but...

I read somewhere earlier that Sumner's wife is very influential and probably had something to do with him sacking Cruise. But she's right. His behavior these last few years have been kinda creepy, borderline psychotic, and I still don't reeeeally believe that that baby is his, or that she was conceived in the usual way. He's got alot of money. There are all kinds of things that he can pay to do. I figure that if I'm thinking along those lines then alot of people are, more than likely. Something about him is just not quite "right".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 03:22 pm
Quote:
Actor Tom Cruise, who was unceremoniously dropped this summer from his longtime home at Paramount Pictures, and production partner Paula Wagner will help relaunch the dormant United Artists film label under a deal announced today by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

The two will have an ownership stake in the venture. Wagner, who was Cruise's agent before joining him as a production partner, will serve as chief executive. Cruise will star in and produce UA films, although he won't be limited to working for that company.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-fi-cruise3nov03,0,1767470.story?coll=la-home-headlines

He may not be as much of a sex symbol as he was in the past, but you won't be seeing him any time soon in the soup kitchen!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:20 pm
He's still a sex symbol in my book! <drool> I thought he was gorgeous in the latest Mission Impossible. Do we really think about what a moive star's like in real life as we're watching them in a movie? I don't. Especially if you're just talking about how they look-- being attracted to someone (at least in the case of a movie star, where the extent of your interaction with them is to look at them) is such a gut-level thing, not an intellectual decision based on whether the person always acts admirably.

There are a whole lot of examples of successful stars who're unappealing in real life...Of course, plenty of people think he's not a good actor anyway, and that's more to the point than whether he's acted goofy on talk shows.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:27 pm
I never thought of him as a sex symbol. So, nothin' lost.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:38 pm
In my mind, he never was. Ugh, a short guy with a facial mole.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:33 am
eoe wrote:
Don't know about the too old part but...

I read somewhere earlier that Sumner's wife is very influential and probably had something to do with him sacking Cruise. But she's right. His behavior these last few years have been kinda creepy, borderline psychotic, and I still don't reeeeally believe that that baby is his, or that she was conceived in the usual way. He's got alot of money. There are all kinds of things that he can pay to do. I figure that if I'm thinking along those lines then alot of people are, more than likely. Something about him is just not quite "right".

Sumner's wife is a former llibrarian who took the old man away from his wife. Much $$ on that wedding band!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 12:33 pm
What possible relevance can the sex symbol nonsense have, If he can act who cares whether women find him shaggable or not?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
Sex symbols sell tickets. Hollywood movies are made for the mass market.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:31 pm
detano inipo wrote:
Sex symbols sell tickets. Hollywood movies are made for the mass market.

Well said. And the more mass the market for the movie, the sexier the star needs to be to sell those tickets.
0 Replies