Morality with God?

Eorl

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 10:01 pm
By George, I've think you've got it, real life !!!!

Some of us are not arrogant enough to think that we know all the absolute laws of right and wrong, even if such laws were to exist in principle.

We only loosley agree on something as simple as "Thou Shalt Not Kill"

You, the so-called christian, will happily murder a criminal....while I happily run around encouraging mothers to murder their children.
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:21 pm
I don't think real life would HAPPILY murder a criminal, just as I don't think you would HAPPILY encourage mothers to murder either EORL.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:11 pm
I agree tomasso. The point was how we can't agree, and view each other from such different perspectives, even on how to interperet those four simple words.
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:15 pm
point taken.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:56 pm
Re: Morality with God?
Eorl wrote:
Is possible to be a genuinely good person when you are doing it with the expectation of an eventual reward for your goodness?

When you are trusting ancient fictions and history for the basis of your morality, are you making the most humane decisions?

You know eorl, I'm still pretty new at the position I'm currently in, so forgive me if some of the previously influenced frame of mind sneaks out in this reply. However, I don't really think that for some christians it's about the eventual reward. There are people here at A2K whom I respect greatly and believe that what they believe in isn't based out of selfish ambition as most christians seem to be.

I definitely agree that religion has done it's share of damage in this world. That the self-righteousness that stems from religion has done more than it's fair share of damage. But you know, I believe that "goodness" isn't always based on what you do or what you believe. Maybe to us who are looking at someone from the outside it is, simply because that's all we see.

But I believe there are unseen things about every person. Things that aren't based out of how they've lived their life. Things that are unique to them, that separate them from everyone else and make them "good" in their own way. Things that unfortunately more often than not get missed because we are too busy judging them from what we see on the outside.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:31 pm
Hep, I understand what you are saying and I mostly agree. What I'm really suggesting is, that while christians generally assume that being a christian inevitably makes you a better, more moral person....that in fact the opposite may be true.

As an example, I consider it wrong to allow your child to die when a simple blood transfusion can save them. JW's have entirely the opposite opinion because of their religion....for absolutely no other reason. Examples can be found in every religion. Even buddhism is open to criticism as it channels energy into solitary meditation when hard work may do more for your fellow man (again, just a possible example).

So, from an entirely human point of view, religion MAY make you a worse person, at least in some situations, than you would otherwise be.

Yet, people ask "How can you be a good person without religion?" My response is "Can you really be a good person with religion?"

To me, you are a better person WITH religion ONLY IF all the tenets of that religion are TRUE in an absolute sense.

For example, if there really IS a god who requires me to pray facing mecca so many times a day, then I am a bad person for not doing so. If that god DOES NOT exist, or if he does but DOES NOT require me to do that, then my time would be more productively spent elsewhere.

Does that all make sense?

Finally, the reason religions survive is that they mostly follow natural human behaviour anyway. Killing was taboo long before "Thou Shalt Not Kill"
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:02 pm
Eorl wrote:
Even buddhism is open to criticism as it channels energy into solitary meditation when hard work may do more for your fellow man (again, just a possible example). [/qoute]You'll have to try a lot harder than that to piss off any real buddhists!

Quote:
Finally, the reason religions survive is that they mostly follow natural human behaviour anyway. Killing was taboo long before "Thou Shalt Not Kill"

Good point. Most religions would have you believe that your human nature is somehow flawed, and that you must follow external rules, some of which may conflict with your own conscience, in order to save your soul, or whatever. That can't be healthy.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:47 pm
echi, yeah I know ! I had to work pretty hard to think of a potential conflict between buddhism and humanism. I can see the dalai lama laughing at me (with great affection) for having suggested it.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:06 pm
In answer to the question, I really am not concerned about what other people think of what I do, or don't do. Neither do I expect any rewards. But, I do like to assist people in any way that I possibly can. Why wouldn't anyone? I would not, however, search around for somebody to help, just if our paths cross. I also like to train, retrain or tame, animals for adoption - it's fun for me and that is a 'reward.'
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:16 pm
Eorl wrote:
Hep, I understand what you are saying and I mostly agree. What I'm really suggesting is, that while christians generally assume that being a christian inevitably makes you a better, more moral person....that in fact the opposite may be true.

As an example, I consider it wrong to allow your child to die when a simple blood transfusion can save them. JW's have entirely the opposite opinion because of their religion....for absolutely no other reason. Examples can be found in every religion. Even buddhism is open to criticism as it channels energy into solitary meditation when hard work may do more for your fellow man (again, just a possible example).

So, from an entirely human point of view, religion MAY make you a worse person, at least in some situations, than you would otherwise be.

Yet, people ask "How can you be a good person without religion?" My response is "Can you really be a good person with religion?"

To me, you are a better person WITH religion ONLY IF all the tenets of that religion are TRUE in an absolute sense.

For example, if there really IS a god who requires me to pray facing mecca so many times a day, then I am a bad person for not doing so. If that god DOES NOT exist, or if he does but DOES NOT require me to do that, then my time would be more productively spent elsewhere.

Does that all make sense?

I agree Eorl. For some their religion tends to, in their own mind, put them above everyone else for various reasons. Because the doctrine is preached as the absolute truth. Therefore those who do not follow the "absolute truth" couldn't possibly be moral because "true" morals are taught through the doctrine they believe.

Big

Heavy

*sigh*
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:18 pm
Love God. Love one another. Do unto others.

These are good and true morals.Not doctrine but will of God.

I don't always do so well even though it sounds simple. I want to do better.

Seeing a smile is a reward. Very Happy Brightens my day!

I seen an avatar you were using before Heph of a gorgeous brunette woman.

Who is she? :wink:
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:56 am
Eorl wrote:
Is possible to be a genuinely good person when you are doing it with the expectation of an eventual reward for your goodness?

No, according to conservative Christians who believe in an inerrant Bible. There are, however, Christians who do not believe in hell or parts of the Bible that they find offensive. Just as you have Jack Mormons you may also have Jack Christians.

Erol wrote:
When you are trusting ancient fictions and history for the basis of your morality, are you making the most humane decisions?

I would say not in the case of slavery. Slavery was supported by God in the Bible and the Southerners used the Bible and its God to justify their particular institution. They believed Christians who rejected slavery were not good Christians. Kind of like today when Christians support homosexuals; they are not in line with the Bible. You can almost smell their smoking bodies. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 10:05 am
I am a Buddhist and I firmly believe in the eternity of life. Any good causes will result in future benefits to you and your life. Heaven and hell and conditions of life, not conditions of afterlife. To ensure good fortune in your next life, create good fortune in this one.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:47 pm
xingu wrote:
Eorl wrote:

No, according to conservative Christians who believe in an inerrant Bible. There are, however, Christians who do not believe in hell or parts of the Bible that they find offensive. Just as you have Jack Mormons you may also have Jack Christians.

Erol wrote:

I would say not in the case of slavery. Slavery was supported by God in the Bible and the Southerners used the Bible and its God to justify their particular institution. They believed Christians who rejected slavery were not good Christians. Kind of like today when Christians support homosexuals; they are not in line with the Bible. You can almost smell their smoking bodies. Twisted Evil

Southern trees bear strange fruit.....
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:43 am
I just like to put something out there to people irrespective of their beliefs

I believe it is the right of the creation to be good and to perform good deeds for himself and for others.

The part that most people do not recognize are the rights of the creator which is to be worshiped and glorified and this is something that is not forgiven by Him.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 03:27 am
Someone said christians (some) believe they are better, on some higher level.

This reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once lol saying "Christians aren't better, just forgiven". Heck, I'm a christian and I don't think I'm any better than anyone else. I'm just as flawed as you Cool

"most religions would have you believe the human nature is flawed"

Human nature is kind of general so that is a hard thing for me to talk about. Let me just say I don't need religion to tell me I'm flawed lol.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:27 am
Quote:
are you making the most humane decisions?

Lord, I hope not--I hope there is nothing "human" in it.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:57 am
How does a person determine if they are bad? Are there acceptable shades of bad? If you realize that you are bad .... how do you convert, assuming that good is the desired state?
In every religion that comes to mind, death is a requirement for qualification of eligibility for reward. Does this mean another life of worship to qualify for, you got it, another life of more worship?
Where is the up side?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:08 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
How does a person determine if they are bad? Are there acceptable shades of bad? If you realize that you are bad .... how do you convert, assuming that good is the desired state?
In every religion that comes to mind, death is a requirement for qualification of eligibility for reward. Does this mean another life of worship to qualify for, you got it, another life of more worship?
Where is the up side?

How do we know if we're good? Well, Christians, perhaps not all Christians, say God of the Bible is good, not just good but perfect. So if we all behaved like God would we be good?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:10 pm
I dunno, what does God do in a 24 hr day?
0 Replies