If you don't know diamonds, you must...

coberst

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 04:45 am
If you don't know diamonds, you mustÂ…

I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma. We had a drug store that also served as our jewelry store. In the window of our drug store there was this message "If you don't know your diamonds, you must know your jeweler." This was the motto of Zales Jewelers, which was the maker of the jewelry sold by this drug store.

I often pondered over this mysterious message; I recognized it as being important, but my young mind could not yet comprehend its meaning. I finally solved the meaning of my mysterious motto and now recognize that it is a great motto for the self-learner. "If you seek to know, know your source." If you want to know something, go to the expert for your answer.

Our libraries are filled with books written by experts. These experts are not only experts in a domain of knowledge but they are also experts at making that domain of knowledge comprehensible for the lay person.

Forums are great places for becoming conscious of ideas, but forums are not a dependable source for getting the real skinny. If you want to acquire dependable knowledge, take your questions with your curiosity and caring to the books. Don't depend upon an unknown source for the real skinny when that knowledge will perhaps be the foundation that you will use to make future judgments in your life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 442 • Replies: 2
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:27 am
Re: If you don't know diamonds, you must...
coberst wrote:
Forums are great places for becoming conscious of ideas, but forums are not a dependable source for getting the real skinny. If you want to acquire dependable knowledge, take your questions with your curiosity and caring to the books. Don't depend upon an unknown source for the real skinny when that knowledge will perhaps be the foundation that you will use to make future judgments in your life.

The fastest way to learn is with a book, for sure. If you just want to gain general information about a topic, then by all means reading is the way to go.

But a book does not tell you everything there is to know. A human can be indexed for informatino much more easily. Find a person who's studied the subject their entire life, spent nights awake pondering it, has discussions with other experts on the subject, and thoroughly and read 200 books on the subject...ask them a question, and you might learn a few more useful tips that you would not have noticed had you just read your book.

A2K is not eactly an "ask an expert" forum...but many forums are, and asking a real expert on a subject is invaluable...
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:10 pm
coberst, I beg to differ in that not ALL books are written by experts. What with self-publishing, lots of books are now flooding the market and they're not all reliable.
0 Replies