A quick question...

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 01:05 pm
parados wrote: Ben Franklin pointed out the 2 different protestent religious philosophies over 200 years ago. They still exist today.

One group thinks good deeds are required to make it to heaven. (They believe non christians can make it to heaven.)

The other thinks that deeds don't matter. You can be as good or as bad as you want. Believing in Christ is the only criteria that will get you there.

I'll peggy-back on his opinion with this; one must ask Jesus/God for forgiveness before death.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:58 pm
Only one sect of Christians is going to Heaven, the ones that kept the same traditions Jesus (pbuh) taught. I don't think they exist today though from how much the Bible and the religion itself has strayed and become so liberal in it's teachings.
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 03:47 pm
Quote:
Only one sect of Christians is going to Heaven, the ones that kept the same traditions Jesus (pbuh) taught. I don't think they exist today though from how much the Bible and the religion itself has strayed and become so liberal in it's teachings.

Wow, what a great plan by God......how many Christians are there today? All those people are gonna burn, even though they believe they are doing the right thing?....not a very good plan if you ask me.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:53 pm
So, who can fool God? He/She knows when we have sincerely asked for forgiveness and are willing to make amends. Most people have such feelings of guilt, they don't believe they can be forgiven or don't even bother to ask for forgiveness. Some don't know what they've done, and don't want to know.

Thunder, we all have to get rid of what has been placed in our heads by parents, teachers, preachers, ministers, priests and popes, etc. When a bucket is full there's no room for new clean & refreshing water. Even if someone has been taught the exact perfect answers I think our answers have to be found solely by us, through study, contemplation and then experience. Lucky are those who learn to slough off old "knowledge" from the brainwaves so there is room for the new.

David, I've read that people who commit suicide don't "go to hell" but don't, either, enter the light. I wouldn't know, though, I don't plan to commit suicide.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:10 pm
Raul-7 wrote:

I don't quite know what you mean here. Anything Jesus taught, including what he taught his disciples (in secret) still exists. Maybe that knowledge has been kept from the general populace because we, until now, weren't ready to "know" it, much less follow it. There were over 30 books written after the death of Jesus, yet only 4 were included in the Christian bible.

But, what has anything to do with "liberal?"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:27 pm
sunlover wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

I don't quite know what you mean here. Anything Jesus taught, including what he taught his disciples (in secret) still exists. Maybe that knowledge has been kept from the general populace because we, until now, weren't ready to "know" it, much less follow it. There were over 30 books written after the death of Jesus, yet only 4 were included in the Christian bible.

But, what has anything to do with "liberal?"

The essence of liberalism,
is straying, veering off, being inconsistent with
whatever it is relative to which it is liberal;
for instance,
if a poker player tries to rake in the pot,
alleging that he has a flush,
when, in fact, he has 4 hearts and a club,
he is being LIBERAL in his interpretation of the rules of poker.
When caught, he will cry ( the motto of liberalism ):
" That was close enuf; don 't be too technical,
gimme a break; I 've had a tuff life. "

In contrast,
being conservative means CONSERVING
the rules rigidly and inflexibly, in an orthodox fashion, NO excuses
e.g., 2 + 3 = 5;

2 + 3 does NOT = 5.0002.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:37 pm
sunlover wrote:
So, who can fool God? He/She knows when we have sincerely asked for forgiveness and are willing to make amends. Most people have such feelings of guilt, they don't believe they can be forgiven or don't even bother to ask for forgiveness. Some don't know what they've done, and don't want to know.

Thunder, we all have to get rid of what has been placed in our heads by parents, teachers, preachers, ministers, priests and popes, etc. When a bucket is full there's no room for new clean & refreshing water. Even if someone has been taught the exact perfect answers I think our answers have to be found solely by us, through study, contemplation and then experience. Lucky are those who learn to slough off old "knowledge" from the brainwaves so there is room for the new.

David, I've read that people who commit suicide don't "go to hell" but don't, either, enter the light. I wouldn't know, though,
I don't plan to commit suicide.

That 's probably a good idea not to do that.
I encourage everyone except collectivist-authoritarians
to not commit that act.

Some who have done it
have said that thay MOVED AWAY FROM THE LIGHT,
until thay changed their minds,
and appealed for help.
David
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:19 am
sunlover wrote:

How many people do that?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:26 am
Have statistics been kept ?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:31 am
thunder32 wrote:
Why couldn't he just make a good enough plan where we don't end up burning forever?

Mostly 'cuz the priesthood set up their own iron-clad job protection program.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 03:53 am
thunder32 wrote:
Why couldn't he just make a good enough plan where we don't end up burning forever?

He did. It's called submission to His will, following the laws he setup for mankind. Leaving that which is unlwaful and doing that which is lawful. Living righteously, treating others as you would like to be treated. Being good, kind, generous and honest with others. Keep your promises and contracts with others. Being patient in hardships, putting your trust in your Creator that He will find a way for you.

Righteousness does not consist in whether you turn your faces towards the east or the west; what is righteous is to believe in God and the last day, and the angels, and the Book, and the messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practise regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which you have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and in times of war. Such as do so are people of truth. Such are the God-fearing. (Al-Baqara, 177)

These are the people of Paradise. May Allah guide you and make you among them.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:19 am
thunder32 wrote:
sunlover wrote:

How many people do that?

Everybody, I'd wish. It wasn't exactly easy for me but as a kid I was simply taught biblical scripture, no brainwashing, so was able to figure things out for myself. Ridding oneself of false knowledge (lies) I learned first in a college philosophy class (Rene Descarte), a communication course called Theories of Communication, 12-step programs, keeping a journal (writing my life, getting rid of stuff), seeing a counselor (speaking, getting rid of stuff), sneaking in the back of bookstores and reading "forbidden" great stuff from about the 1970s on, and still except that it's all out in the open now. The Unity church, the Unitarian Universalist church.

This philosophy teacher always came up with gems that I never forgot, like, 'The worst thing you can do to someone is teach them obedience.' He was a former Roman Catholic priest, from Yugoslavia, who left the church to marry a woman.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 11:13 am
sunlover, There are too few of those catholic priests who later leave the church to teach "freedom/constriction from religion." It's sad isn't it that they continue to perpetuate the idea that to love god is to live in fear.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 11:43 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
sunlover, There are too few of those catholic priests who later leave the church to teach "freedom/constriction from religion." It's sad isn't it that they continue to perpetuate the idea that to love god is to live in fear.

Yeah, and I learned somewhere along the road to right here that the opposite of fear is love.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 02:47 pm
sunlover wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Yeah, and I learned somewhere along the road to right here that

the opposite of fear is love.

So stipulated
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 02:55 pm
sunlover wrote:
thunder32 wrote:
sunlover wrote:

How many people do that?

Everybody, I'd wish. It wasn't exactly easy for me but as a kid I was simply taught biblical scripture, no brainwashing, so was able to figure things out for myself. Ridding oneself of false knowledge (lies) I learned first in a college philosophy class (Rene Descarte), a communication course called Theories of Communication, 12-step programs, keeping a journal (writing my life, getting rid of stuff), seeing a counselor (speaking, getting rid of stuff), sneaking in the back of bookstores and reading "forbidden" great stuff from about the 1970s on, and still except that it's all out in the open now. The Unity church, the Unitarian Universalist church.

This philosophy teacher always came up with gems that I never forgot, like, 'The worst thing you can do to someone is teach them obedience.'

So stipulated.

Y SNEAK in the BACK ?

Y not just go to the public library ?
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:12 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
[So stipulated.

Y SNEAK in the BACK ?

That is funny, David. I didn't mean I sneaked through the back door, but that all the interesting books were in the back of the store. But, yes, I went to the public library, too. Some books are precious, though, I like to keep them around, read them again & again. Now, however, I pass them on to someone else.

I'd have to say there are no longer any secrets where religion, religious history, spirituality, and everything therefore connected are concerned. Folks should take advantage, as you never know when another gigantic bookburning will occur and the world controlled by religion again.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:21 pm
the Moslems take over ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:28 pm
sunlover wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
[So stipulated.

Y SNEAK in the BACK ?

That is funny, David. I didn't mean I sneaked through the back door, but that all the interesting books were in the back of the store. But, yes, I went to the public library, too. Some books are precious, though, I like to keep them around, read them again & again. Now, however, I pass them on to someone else.

I'd have to say there are no longer any secrets where religion, religious history, spirituality, and everything therefore connected are concerned. Folks should take advantage, as you never know when another gigantic bookburning will occur and the world controlled by religion again.

so WHAT have your stealthy studies
led u to believe ?
David
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:42 pm
I can't speak for anybody else, but after spending most of my adult life figuring out what can be believed for sure, I have arrived at two certainties:

1. God is.

2. I'm not Him.

One thing Jesus taught us was the Lord's prayer which includes "Forgive us our sins (trespasses, debts, etc. etc. etc.) as we forgive those who sin against us.

This sort of dovetails with His admonition to "Judge not lest you be judged also."

And even while we are to discern and choose good and reject evil, the bottom line is that judgment of one's immortal soul and what will become of it is God's prerogative alone. Through Scripture and prayer and revelation I can determine something of what God requires of me personally, but I am not privy to know what he requires of somebody else.

And I don't know of a single soul who became a Christian or a better Christian or anything else by being told that he or she was going to hell.
0 Replies