Penis injury and incontinence.

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:13 pm
Alright already - this is about Mo, he's five, so no jokes.

Today Mo went to the BMX bike track for the first time. On one hill he slipped off of his pedals and racked himself on the crossbar of his bike.

He peed in his pants.

Mr. B says this is probably a pretty normal reaction to the injury.

But then it happened again hours after the event and we are both wondering if he might need to go see the doctor. Mo hasn't peed in his pants or wet the bed in a long, long, long time so it seems to be connected.

When we talked to Mo he said it just happens - that the pee just comes out. He can't help it.

He's embarrassed by it and upset by it (and he is lying about it saying he spilled water on himself).

Mr. B doesn't have any experience with this kind of injury and I certainly don't. I tried Google but everything is about adults or bed wetting so I don't really know how to search for an answer.

So.... okay.... if you hurt yourself in this way can it affect your ability to control your peeing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,952 • Replies: 23
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:16 pm
Doctor.

It seems like the kind of thing that could go a few ways but the chance of injury is enough that a doctor should be the one to make the determination.

These things always happen on the weekends, don't they?

Do you have an urgent care clinic you can go to? (As opposed to the ER...)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:16 pm
I've had that same accident more than once when I was a kid, but I never had to pee as a result.

Lot of pain.

I'll see what I can find for you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:20 pm
Some stuff here
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:23 pm
sozobe wrote:
Doctor.

It seems like the kind of thing that could go a few ways but the chance of injury is enough that a doctor should be the one to make the determination.

These things always happen on the weekends, don't they?

Do you have an urgent care clinic you can go to? (As opposed to the ER...)

Definitely what Soz said.

And I would go fast.

I suspect it is a temporary thing, but I wouldn't want to be fartarsing around.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:24 pm
This sounds like an injury could cause the problem:

Quote:
Stress incontinence is a bladder storage problem in which the strength of the muscles (urethral sphincter) that help control urination is reduced. The sphincter is not able to prevent urine flow when there is increased pressure from the abdomen.

Stress incontinence may occur as a result of weakened pelvic muscles that support the bladder and urethra or because of malfunction of the urethral sphincter. The weakness may be caused by prior injury to the urethral area, neurological injury, some medications, or after surgery of the prostate or pelvic area.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000891.htm

(I checked Mayo clinic first but they just said that if there is daytime incontinence after potty training, have it checked out by a doctor.)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:31 pm
Incontinance would probably be connected to the prostate and or mucle system surrounding the prostate.

I have also "racked" myself in variouse ways and never had that type of reaction.

Its possible that the mucles controlling bladder function have been damaged.
If it is a soft tissue (muscles) injury there is probably not a lot your doctor can do.

My take is wait and watch with reassurance to mo that it will come good and very little attention if it does happen. He can change his clothes and put the damp ones in a laundry bucket, no fuss.

If its still happening on sundaynight/monday a doctors visit is in order, even if its only peace of mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:36 pm
Agreeing at least somewhat with all posting before, think this will resolve, but also wouldn't wait..

so agree most with Dlowan.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:38 pm
or at least get in touch with your pediatrician...
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:59 pm
I wonder if Mo is afraid to pee when he needs to because he thinks it will hurt and then pees because he has no control to hold it any longer? Just a thought.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 09:03 pm
Thank you all so much.

That bike injury website is enough to give me nightmares. Mo always always always wears a helmet and today, for off-road type stuff, he wore pads.

When he had his bath tonight I had a good opportunity to look. He's not bruised. He doesn't seem to be tender or sore (he rode his bike all afternoon) or to be having any other problems.

Mr. B is thinking along the dadpad lines - take a cautious wait and see approach.

Tomorrow morning I'll call the advice nurse and see what they have to say. I can always take him in to the weekend clinic if I need to. He seems to feel fine but it is all just so weird.

Thank you all for your replies.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 09:16 pm
I also agree with Mr. B and dadpad, but would consult a doctor just to be on the safe side.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 09:19 pm
Calling the advice nurse sounds good, and glad you have weekend options.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:41 am
I would defenitely go to the doctor with this....have his urine checked for occult blood.

like dadpad said, sounds like a pulled muscle in the bladdor or or around the prostate, but I'd want to rule out a tear or hernia.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 12:06 pm
Everything seems to be working properly today. No accidents. No pain or other discomfort.

I missed martybarker's post last night but that could have something to do with it - the association of penis and pain might prevent him from wanting to pee.

But he has peed today - in the toilet - so things seem to be better.

I'll call his doctor tomorrow just to check in on it.

Thanks all.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 03:45 am
Just a point boomer, penises (penii?) have gvery little to do with the control of bladder function. Its basically just a tube with a couple of one way valves (I think). The real work gets done in the pelvic floor muscles which (i think surround the prostate)

And penii are actually tough buggers. (As tough as a finger maybe) (Need to be with the work out they get)

Testes? Whole different kettle of fish!
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:28 pm
Penises have no valves, dadpad. The urethra is simply a tube running through the corpus cavernosum. The control is from the bladder sphincter, not the prostate. Also, at five years old, the prostate is not at all well developed yet. As for your other simile, I can only conclude that you have a very soft finger, or one hell of a bony penis!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:18 am
Thanks for correcting me cowdoc. You obviously know your peters.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:46 am
If I recall correctly, the valves are related to sexual function and ejaculation.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:28 am
DrewDad wrote:
If I recall correctly, the valves are related to sexual function and ejaculation.

I didn't think you were that old...
0 Replies