Heeeeelp PLZ...

Amel

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:47 pm
Ok so i am looking for some greek mythological allusions in art,lerature movies or music plz help me i have like 2 hour left and i need to find about 13 more. PLEASE help me or give me some links to sites that have these i know The matrix has some but anyrhing else and im there is many.

Thx to who ever helps me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,721 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:50 pm
What do you have so far??
0 Replies

Amel

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:53 pm
all i have is morpheus some allusions to the oracle at delphi in matrix and some other movie.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:27 pm
I don't want to waste your time but what is a greek mythological allusion. People here are good at this type of thing here......and yes they are reading. They don't know if you are nuts or joking.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:33 pm
How about "Atlas shrugged" a book by Ayn Rand.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:36 pm
How about "O brother where thou" a movie by the Cohen Brothers based on Homers "The Odyssey"
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:42 pm
I know! I know! -- Oh, damn! The two hours is up already! I'm too late!
0 Replies

Amel

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:45 pm
what do you mean what is a mythological allusion you are giving me examples and you don't know?

It is like a reference to a Greek myth in a story or movie like morpheus is the Greek god of dreams and in Matrix he is the guy who sends Neo into the Matrix which is pretty much a dream world.

Sorry if that dosen't clear things up and thx for the replies if you think of any more plz post them i have found a couple more also what is the Atlas shruged about so i know what to write down?
0 Replies

Amel

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:47 pm
If you know them post them anyway since ill be up for another hour or how ever long i need to finish this i need about 7 more.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:50 pm
Amel, You procrastinated. The most costly of bad habits.
0 Replies

Amel

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:51 pm
Oh and who is Perseus in moby dick if anyone knows i found a site that mentions it a allusion in mobyu dick but i don't know who she is in the story.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:57 pm
Probably Starbuck.

Perseus, was a male.
0 Replies

Amel

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:12 pm
Anyone else have anymore ideas to add i still need 5 more.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:13 pm
Amel wrote:
what do you mean what is a mythological allusion you are giving me examples and you don't know?

It is like a reference to a Greek myth in a story or movie like morpheus is the Greek god of dreams and in Matrix he is the guy who sends Neo into the Matrix which is pretty much a dream world.

Sorry if that dosen't clear things up and thx for the replies if you think of any more plz post them i have found a couple more also what is the Atlas shruged about so i know what to write down?

YOU HEARD THE KID PEOPLE!!!! LETS MOVE IT!!! Able 2 KNOW baby!!!!!!

You want allusions??? We got allusions!!!

Atlas shrugged is about a business man that gets so big he is actually able to make 'Atlas shrug' when he decides to sock it to the man.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:16 pm
0 Replies

Amel

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:42 pm
Ok Thx for everyone that helped i need two more allusions and im done.
0 Replies

Amel

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:56 pm
One more anyone?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:57 pm
Did you already use O brother where art thou?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 12:02 am
Based on the "Odyssey" by Homer
The titles acknowledge the work is, "Based upon Homer's Odyssey." In interviews, the Coen brothers say that they never actually read the Odyssey, but the film patterns many of its characters and situations upon that ancient work (see below). The Coens claim to having gleaned most of the incidental details of Homer's epic from the 1955 filmed adaptation, starring Kirk Douglas.

Episodes in the film somewhat resemble the Odyssey. Everett tends to come off much worse than his mythical counterpart Odysseus. A viewer familiar with the Odyssey may often expect the hero to triumph. Typically, this does not happen, although things turn out all right later, partly because the hero is so irrepressible, partly by sheer luck. Among the similarities:

"Sing to me of the man, Muse... ", the line at the beginning of the film, is the first line of the Odyssey.
Ulysses is the Roman name of Odysseus.
A blind prophet - possibly a Tiresias figure - who foreshadows that "the treasure you seek shall not be the treasure you find."
A merciless sheriff wanting to lynch him, perhaps analogous to Poseidon in the story of the Odyssey, but also alluded to as Satan throughout the film; this is strengthened by the presence of a hunting dog, which echoes Cerberus as well as the common mythological Hellhounds. The link between the two (Satan and Poseidon) is made when Ulysses mentions that Satan carries "a giant fork" (a trident); both figures are often depicted with just such an instrument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Brother,_Where_Art_Thou%3F
0 Replies

Amel

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 12:23 am
Thanks to everyone who helped i am finnaly done.
0 Replies