Justice vs. Revenge

tomasso

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:43 am
What is the difference between justice and revenge???

I am interested on your thoughts as to if there is a clear answer.
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,381 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 08:45 am
Obviously "revenge" can be part of "justice". Justice is a social term whereby "society" attempts to regulate itself overseeing "fair relationships" between its members. If a member suffers hurt at the hands of another then "justice" may correct that hurt in part by causing the perpetrator to suffer. However, whereas "revenge" encapsulates all the emotionality of the victim, "justice" must be formal and beyond emotion in order to command respect of the whole society whch it serves. When "justice" operates such that mitigating circumstances reduce the "suffering factor" of the perpetrator then it tends to depart from its "revenge function". Justice may also simply attempt to compensate the victim for his hurt, which has nothing to do with "revenge."
tomasso

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 12:30 am
Many thanks Fresco!
Your reply helped me A LOT!

Ciao Fresco!

Tomasso
0 Replies

nvsvictor

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:09 pm
@fresco,
That's a good answer fresco.

Restating what fresco said:
Revenge is wanting the other person to hurt for the same hurt you experienced. Justice includes doing exactly that but only with the community. Justice also includes something better: recovery, by force with the courts. Recovery is basically taking back what the guy has taken without wanting him to experience the hurt that you experienced (which is revenge).

But the problem with fresco's answer is how could you get justice if there were no just courts to go to?

So after lots of struggling and some prayer, I came across this answer:
If you use force to recover what was wrongfully taken from you, then that can be considered revenge. And if you commit revenge, then the perpetrator may commit the same revenge or worse back to you. So the cycle will never stop till everyone dies.

But I have found one way to do this without force, by making constant accusations to the perpetrator, till he grows tired of you and pays back in recovery what he has taken from you. (idea adapted from Luke 18:3-5).

For example, if he killed a loved one, then instead of killing his family member (revenge), you tell him what he did wrong and push him to give you something that equals the weight of a dead loved one. That's the severe example. But if he has stolen something, or ruined your reputation, or messed up your car, then you tell him to pay back in the amount of the damage, by wearing him out (in the same manner as Luke 18:3-5).

However, there is one thing that is missing: what happens if the person CONTINUALLY commits a crime against you. It's no longer revenge, but a recurrent problem. It's like a bully who never stops bullying till you fight him. Then I think that's when you have to step in and use force to stop this continuation. (if there's no just court, then you'll have to use your own force).
That's how I understand it so far. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope this helps. God bless.
0 Replies