Making friends and influencing people

coberst

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:29 am
Making friends and influencing people

A common refrain I often hear from readers is that "there seems to be no way I can convince anyone to change their mind about anything". I am very sympathetic with that difficulty.

I would like to suggest that the positive thing we can do is to learn Critical Thinking and after we do so to challenge the other person to do the same thing. The more a person knows how to think the better that person will be in making good judgments.

Critical Thinking is now being taught in our schools and colleges. Our educational system has decided that teaching students what to think is useful training to get good jobs but is insufficient for later life. Since most adults have never been taught CT they must learn it on their own.

Those who are already Critical Thinkers can go immediately to step two and start the effort to convince others to become Critical Thinkers.

If you are not familiar with CT a good place to start is with Bertrand Russell @

http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Educ/EducHare.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 416 • Replies: 4
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:03 am
Go back to Step One.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:08 am
I'm unconvinced.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 03:28 pm
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:20 pm
Taking philosophy is like going to the sunday sermon; you're only getting dumber for it. You must be very impressionable to take heed to the bewildered and archaic rantings of that field.

You don't learn how to think by talking about it, or talking a fluff class like philosophy. Take some engineering courses, spend your life designing space shuttles or computers or something if you want to think.

If you're not that dedicated but you still want to learn, throw down Nietzsche and pick up some textbooks on computational fluid dynamics. Simulate the forces on a jet engine, come back here and tell us what you've learned and then maybe I'll give you some leeway when you want to concoct a theory about CT.
0 Replies