Memoirs of a Geisha

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:34 am
Just watched it. What a dissapointment. Now the book was not great literature-- a hyped up romance novel in my opinion, but the details about the Geisha life were fascinating.

So, where were the Geishas. -- The Geisha Makeup, the Geisha hair?--
non-existant. And what about the dialogue in Japanese and Chinese English accents. If they were all Japanese, why accents? I would have prefered Japanese with English subtitles or at least one consistant English language accent.

Anyway, I never liked book to film adaptations. Only one, GWTW

My 2cents.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 785 • Replies: 15
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:53 am
I totally agree, the film was big let down but I loved the book.

I loved the costumes/make up in the film tho, especially the nasty Geishas outfits, and also Ted Levine being in it.I just watched him instead of paying attention to the film.

All in all, stick to the book.Its so much more romantic, I didnt want it to end.
0 Replies

musiciseverything

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 02:07 am
Wow I just IMDB'd Ted Levine with who I am not familiar. He's done alot of stuff. Is he a big star in your neck of the woods?

I'll have to disagree with you though on th make up. I was not Geisha as described in the book. Confused

It's been a while, but doesn't she eventuall go to New York? The movie ended before that.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 04:00 am
Start by understanding that this film isn't a factual rendition of Japanese history.It's a sumptious fantasy with a gripping emotional story.

Arthur Golden's novel blends first hand accounts,roumers and Western storytelling,so it's NOT surprising that the filmmakers didn't feel bound by authenticity.They recreate mid 20th century Kyoto as a Japanese fairyland.The costumes are fabulose but drasticaly stylised.The make-up is far more natural than any Geisha would wear.This is a piece of work made for the cinema,NOT for the History Channel !

The filmmakers cast prominent Chinese actresses in the principal roles.They are staggeringly good but their physicality is notably different from the Japanese.

Director Marshall tells the story exceptionally well.Sayuri's odyssey is deeply involving and leads to a superb conclusion.So even if it's exagerated and impossible compared with the novel,the film still manages to grab your eye with it's spectacular artistry,and your heart with it's simple tale of yearning.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 08:44 am
I didnt feel any of the yearning with the main characters like I did in the book!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:17 am
Was sitting oposite a young lady on the train a couple of weeks ago and noticed that she was reading this book.Seeing as I enjoyed the film so much,I had a mind to ask her opinion,but,being British,I bottled it Embarrassed
So,if Amazon are true to their word,I will receive my copy within the week.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:57 am
barrythemod wrote:
Was sitting oposite a young lady on the train a couple of weeks ago and noticed that she was reading this book.Seeing as I enjoyed the film so much,I had a mind to ask her opinion,but,being British,I bottled it Embarrassed
So,if Amazon are true to their word,I will receive my copy within the week.

I hope you enjoy it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:24 am
Book - good (but girly)

Film - BAD (but girly)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:34 am
The girly parts were the best parts.

If you want to get the real story of being Geisha I suggest reading
"Life of a Geisha" by Eleanor Underwood and Liza Dalby. It was written by a an American sociologist (Dalby) who went to Japan and became a geisha. The author of "Memoirs" used Dalby's book as the foundation for his novel.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:50 am
I saw the movie on dvd and thought it was visually magnificent. They took loads of liberties, which they spoke of in the accompanying "The Making of..." disc. Having never read the book, I can't compare.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:56 am
I started to read that Dalby book of her life as a real english geisha but wasnt as appealing as memoirs.
Too much fact, not enough lurve.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:10 am
I saw the film in a movie theater. The cinematography was the best feature. I never read the book, but my disappointment with the film was that the story itself was superficial. The central character becomes a geisha because she thinks it will help her pursue a specific man. I doubt that reading the book would be any more satisfying.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:04 am
wandeljw wrote:
but my disappointment with the film was that the story itself was superficial. The central character becomes a geisha because she thinks it will help her pursue a specific man.

Why is that superficial? I'm sure each woman had her own reasons for becoming geisha, that is, if she had a sayso in the matter at all. It was one woman's tale.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:24 am
eoe,

I should amend that a little bit. I was very sympathetic with the first half of the story (two girls abandoned by their family for economic reasons). I was not sympathetic with the second half of the story.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:01 am
Well, okay. There was an air of bait n' switch to it. You go into it thinking that you're watching something historical (to a degree) and somewhat educational and then it becomes just another melodramatic love story. That kinda took me by surprise as well.

But it was visually spectacular. I forgave them. Very Happy

The "bad" geisha reminded me of a present-day supermodel. My stepson and I have nicknamed her Naomi Campbell-si.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 12:02 pm
I also forgave the cinematic adaptation for driving the story in a markedly different way than the novel. What really happened to the main character in the end was tragic and really rather depressing.
0 Replies