Error Safe Pop Up

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:28 pm
I just had one! Grrrrrrr....I assume I have some damn gremlin for it on my PC.

I have Norton up to date, which asked me to get rid of Spybot when I installed its latest version, so I assume this beast slips through Norton (though I will do a scan, obviously) and I can't do a spybot scan nay more.

I have AdAware SE Personal, so I will have a go with that, too.

My question is, are these likely to zap it, or do I need something more?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,945 • Replies: 24
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:05 pm
Fully up-to-date Norton oughtta nail it pretty well - might wanna run the scan in safe mode.

Also, Norton and Spybot S&D don't get along. If Norton detects Spybot already resident, when go to install Norton, you'll be prompted to uninstall Spybot S&D before proceeding. Once Norton's been installed, Spybot can be reinstalled without any problem - there's been an ongoing squabble between Symantec (Norton's parent) and Safer_Networking/Patrick Kolla (Spybot S&D's parent) for a good long while over this ... since the fuss hasn't been resolved for the several years its been around, and the websites of both have articles critical of the other, its reasonable to think mebbe egos are involved.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:41 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Fully up-to-date Norton oughtta nail it pretty well - might wanna run the scan in safe mode.

Also, Norton and Spybot S&D don't get along. If Norton detects Spybot already resident, when go to install Norton, you'll be prompted to uninstall Spybot S&D before proceeding. Once Norton's been installed, Spybot can be reinstalled without any problem - there's been an ongoing squabble between Symantec (Norton's parent) and Safer_Networking/Patrick Kolla (Spybot S&D's parent) for a good long while over this ... since the fuss hasn't been resolved for the several years its been around, and the websites of both have articles critical of the other, its reasonable to think mebbe egos are involved.

Thanks Timber.

As I said, I got rid of Spybot like a good Norton customer when prompted.

Are you saying there would be benefits to reinstalling it now, or just that there would be no harm done?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:58 pm
I run Norton. I also have Spybot, Ad-Aware and CCleaner running. They play very nicely together.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:01 pm
Mostly no harm done - your call. Spybot a couple years ago was at the front of the pack, other stuff out there now is as good or better.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:09 pm
I thought that of Spybot at one time. I have now found Ad-Aware to be superior in many ways.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:23 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Mostly no harm done - your call. Spybot a couple years ago was at the front of the pack, other stuff out there now is as good or better.

Who?

And, I so hesitate to say this, because it generally leads to great unpleasantness, but the ******* thing just popped up in a WORK computer...and not even one I generally use. And I nearly had to shut down because of it.

Are we sure this thing could not be from an A2k ad?

Or is there likely to be some mass Error Safe trojan attack happening?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:52 am
Try the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware - its gaining itself a lot of respect.

As for where your irritation mighta come from, anybody's guess, but for a variety of reasons, guessing it might have anything to do w/A2K isn't a real likely guess; I'm on this site a lot, often using machines that are really locked down, and if there were nasties lurking here, I think I'd prolly be among the first to know ... or, more correctly, my security/privacy/blocking/tracking software would be among the first to know, and it'd let me know - its set to get upset about just about anything thats out there to even mebbe be suspicious about. That happens when I visit sites like CNN, for instance, or CNet - but not A2K.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:00 am
timberlandko wrote:

As for where your irritation mighta come from, anybody's guess, but for a variety of reasons, guessing it might have anything to do w/A2K isn't a real likely guess; I'm on this site a lot, often using machines that are really locked down, and if there were nasties lurking here, I think I'd prolly be among the first to know ... or, more correctly, my security/privacy/blocking/tracking software would be among the first to know, and it'd let me know - its set to get upset about just about anything thats out there to even mebbe be suspicious about. That happens when I visit sites like CNN, for instance, or CNet - but not A2K.

Sigh.

I know, but with me it is always A2k.......I KNOW all the arguments, and I BELIEVE them, but it's still true.

And, when it happens on two utterly unrelated computers, it is intuitively sus.

But, goddess forbid any further discussion of this happens......it always gets really ugly, and I acknowledge that Craven is right about computer stuff.

Sigh.

This is the devil's work.....it seeks to sow discord in this blue and sometimes pleasant land.

I will download your magical thingy if the beast appears again. Thankee.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:06 am
Question from a Luddite: what is an "error safe" pop-up? How is it differet from your usual, run of the mill, pop-up?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:23 am
msolga wrote:
Question from a Luddite: what is an "error safe" pop-up? How is it differet from your usual, run of the mill, pop-up?

It's disgusting, invasive scumware....and is a beast to get rid of if you are dumb enough to download it...as the 'orrible popups (themselves a sign of scumware infestation) sing siren songs inviting you to do.

http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=40481&
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:27 am
Crikey!
How is one likely to download one in the first place, Bunny? As part of some dodgy site?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:28 am
msolga wrote:
Crikey!
How is one likely to download one in the first place, Bunny? As part of some dodgy site?

it pops and tells you to.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:36 am
That's what you said before, Deb, but I didn't quite get it or believe it!

OK, I'm gonna be strong!
No, no, a thousand times no!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 04:11 am
timberlandko wrote:

One thing I want to point out about super antispyware is that it takes quite a while to load up when you start your computer. Or, at least, that's been our experience. Not that we're getting rid of it any time soon, but folks should be aware of same.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 04:35 am
jespah wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

One thing I want to point out about super antispyware is that it takes quite a while to load up when you start your computer. Or, at least, that's been our experience. Not that we're getting rid of it any time soon, but folks should be aware of same.

Then the spyware comes out with stronger kryptonite......

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Later: Hmmm...that thing sure found a lot of SOMETHINGS that Adaware hadn't got rid of......

86 somethings.

Like my harmless site cookies.

Oh well.

Hopefully it got rid of some real meanies in amongst that.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:50 am
msolga wrote:
what is an "error safe" pop-up? How is it differet from your usual, run of the mill, pop-up?

That's just the name of the crap the popup is peddling - its not much different from any of a gazillion other "buy me and I'll save your 'puter" scams. Though typically infecting a machine via a user clicking on something, that isn't the only way; in some cases, they come along bundled - without notice - with something else you've downloaded or installed, and in some cases just visiting a malicious web page can be enough.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 09:43 am
I had not yet heard of the SUPERAntiSpyware. I downloaded it to give it a try. It claimed to have found 2 spyware files.

dwspy32.dll and dwspy36.dll in the Windows\System 32 folder. I do believe that this is a false positive. These files are, to my recollection, used by the system.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:23 am
Those files are not native to Windows - though files of that name are found in a legitimate application - Desaware, the same filenames are used by a variety of trojan-based yuckware to effect keystroke logging through "hooking" a legitimate component of Windows. If you do not use Desaware, an advanced programming application, and those files are on your machine, odds are pretty high you don't want them there.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:38 am
Oh, and if you wish, you can copy those files and send them to SUPERAntispyware for analysis and confirmation - they're real good about eMail support, and Nick Skrepetos, SUPERAntiSpyware's author, is active on the newsgroup alt.privacy.spyware and on many of the security/privacy web forums - a query to Nick on that newsgroup or on the major forums usually gets a response within a few hours.
0 Replies