Morality must be safeguarded by the citizens

coberst

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:44 am
In this sense financial markets are not immoral; they are amoral.

There is a difference between immorality and amorality. Amorality makes markets more efficient and without this difference such markets could not flourish. Soros argues that such an argument applies to the person who considers her or him self as being a moral person or not.

Collective values must be safe guarded by collective political and civic actions and institutions. The amorality of the markets makes it essential that social values find expression in the rules that govern financial markets.

Rules are made by the authorities and the authorities are chosen by the citizens. Morality must be safeguarded by the citizens. If the citizen fails to meet some minimum level of civic responsibility, is that citizen acting in an amoral manner or in an immoral manner?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 912 • Replies: 11
No top replies

flakker

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:42 pm
your saying i should buy a gun, right?
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 10:50 pm
I am not sure how much control "The Market" has over higher education and it would seem that most business leaders find the present quantity of college graduates, sufficiently prepared, rather wanting, especially in math and science which have traditionally allowed the U.S. to be the top innovator in all areas of R&D, invention, and final consumer products and financial instruments.

Not to judge George Soros but I suspect hard "moral" decisions become easier as one becomes wealthier, especially when one can choose to (or not to) go to work every day or associate with undesirable riff-raff. Virtue can still be problematic, given one possesses it.

As for the search for morality in the market, I would suggest this is not the right place for such a quest. To quote Elton John it's like: "looking for Gold in a Silver mine or-- whiskey in a bottle of wine". Economic markets are, and should be, devoid of the emotional concepts of fairness, morality, or virtue. They are merely a venue for human economic intercourse where goods and services are exchanged given an agreement between two or more entities. There is a "fairness" to the market but this fairness extends only to the point of determining price at a given instant in time for a particular good or service between two parties and does not consider individuals' particular wants or needs. The final price, of a particular good or service, is that at which the buyer is willing to buy AND the seller is willing to sell a particular point in time--and no more.

As for:
Quote:
"Collective values must be safe guarded by collective political and civic actions and institutions. The amorality of the markets makes it essential that social values find expression in the rules that govern financial markets"

This recognizes the above point of amorality but then resorts to what first appears as liberal or progressive hand wringing about how we should inject morality into the market place. I understand this feeling but asking "civic actions and institutions" means legislative action which then calls upon political forces that may or may not do any good, at best. The latest example of this is the Congressional overreaction to the Enron debacle-- the Sarbanes-Oxley act that has increased corporate administrative regulations to the point where many companies have decided not to list (on stock exchanges) in the U.S. Remembering the Congressional and Presidential reaction to the Terry Schaivo case instructs us to be careful what we ask for from our civic institutions.

JM
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 01:14 pm
flakker wrote:
your saying i should buy a gun, right?

Sounds like a good idea.
Don 't forget to consider stopping power in your choice.

I have found revolvers to be more mechanically reliable than automatics.
David
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:26 am
Quote:
stopping power

i find a wall fits the bill perfectly.

mexican labour of course, i wouldnt be a true capitalist if i didnt
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:06 pm
flakker wrote:
Quote:
stopping power

i find a wall fits the bill perfectly.

mexican labour of course, i wouldnt be a true capitalist if i didnt

Yeah, a WALL. Is it a GOOD wall ?

The Chinese had a GREAT Wall. Actually, thay still HAVE it, ........but, .........well, .......

Maybe u 'll be OK, as long as there r no Mongolian burglars around.
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:28 pm
poor poor poor naive david.

the only reason the wall didnt work was because they didnt build it taller.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:51 am
Is yours taller ?
0 Replies

englishnewb

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:30 am
i say morality is dying

And to think we can keep it, we are actually killing it ourselves.... look at today's world, no matter how much things we do, it usually ends in something violent.... and to believe that morality can be saved by citizen like us? Unless some1 put a bullet in bush's head, but i wont bet on that....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 09:22 am
W did nothing morally rong.

How about a bullet in SADDAM 's head, instead ?
0 Replies

Helmut Roole

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:08 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:

They're hanging him, but they should have tried him in the Hague.

David, how many fire fights have you been in?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:03 pm
Helmut Roole wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

They're hanging him, but they should have tried him in the Hague.

Y the Hague ?

Quote:

David, how many fire fights have you been in?

0 Replies