Shapeless

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:51 pm
It's the most versatile trump card in the theist's deck. It's always ready to go, when all else fails.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:02 pm
Quote:

Big difference here e_brown and I think you probably know what I am going to say . God has this authority. No one else does. He is sovereign God and whether we like it or not, He makes the rules.

I used to believe this. But I have found that this isn't true.

In fact, God has a big problem.

If his followers took the words and life of Jesus seriously, they would spend their time loving their enemies, defending the poor, ending war, promoting forgiveness and standing up for those who are being mistreated.

If this were the case, God would have a huge impact on the world we live in-- not just in the example they would set, but even in the people they would help

Instead, when they are not condemning others, or trying to dictate how non-believers act today's Christians are worrying about children's fiction.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:03 pm
Shapeless,

Hmmm, and so is "that" card you just played from the "atheist" deck. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:07 pm
If you're referring to the atheist's exposure and rejection of an unverifiable claim, you're absolutely right: it is a versatile card, especially because theists present so many opportunities to use it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:09 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

Big difference here e_brown and I think you probably know what I am going to say . God has this authority. No one else does. He is sovereign God and whether we like it or not, He makes the rules.

I used to believe this. But I have found that this isn't true.

In fact, God has a big problem.

If his followers took the words and life of Jesus seriously, they would spend their time loving their enemies, defending the poor, ending war, promoting forgiveness and standing up for those who are being mistreated.

If this were the case, God would have a huge impact on the world we live in-- not just in the example they would set, but even in the people they would help

Instead, when they are not condemning others, or trying to dictate how non-believers act today's Christians are worrying about children's fiction.

And just who is condemning you e_brown? I have seen no one do that. And who has told you "you must" act this way? I haven't seen that either. What I do see is people posting what they believe "for their lives" and leaving it to you and others to accept it or not.

No one forces you into these discussions, do they? No, I doubt they do. It's everyone's personal choice on whether or not to accept God or not. No matter what anyone says, it will always be the INDIVIDUAL'S choice. And, unless you know everyone personally I highly doubt making statements about them not taking Jesus' teachings seriously, should even be made. If you (general) don't believe, should I automatically decide something about your life other than the fact that you don't believe? No. That is the extent of it. All you have is what we all have, words on a message board. That hardly qualifies a single one of us to judge the validity of anyone's life, much less beliefs, don't you think? :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:11 pm
Shapeless wrote:
If you're referring to the atheist's exposure and rejection of an unverifiable claim, you're absolutely right: it is a versatile card, especially because theists present so many opportunities to use it.

Rolling Eyes Yeah, I know, atheists have all the answers and there is no chance anyone else does? Rolling Eyes The only difference between us is I leave your choice to you and don't make judgments on it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:20 pm
You missed my point Arella. I wasn't feeling condemned in this thread. I am talking about in general.

Look at how much energy is being put, by American "Christians" into telling people who they can't marry. If you are a Christian you may choose to enter a same sex marriage that is against your personal beliefs...

Jesus spent his time talking about personal righteousnesses. He didn't spend any time talking about how to stop people who didn't believe from doing anything. You see absolutely no interest of Jesus on any issue for anyone who wasn't following Him.

Likewise Paul only worried about what was happening in the Church. You again see no interest in forcing people of other religions to do anything.

Today's Christians are supporting war... promoting hatred an fear of their enemies (that's the people they call "islamofacists"), and actively opposing forgiveness (otherwise known as amnesty) for their neighbors who they are supposed to be loving.

The main teachings of Jesus, "blessed are the peacemakers", "love your enemies", "don't resist the evil man", "forgive as you have been forgiven" have been completely forgotten.

The main teachings of today's Christians "don't forgive people who have broken the law", "keep people from marrying", "don't read children's books that have broomriding" seem a bit off even from a Biblical point of view.

If you are going to claim to be following God, why not spend your energy doing something worthwhile?
\
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:26 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Rolling Eyes Yeah, I know, atheists have all the answers and there is no chance anyone else does? Rolling Eyes

Ah... another time-honored tactic: dismiss something the other side didn't say, but do it facetiously so that they'll be tricked into defending it anyway. Arella, please show me where I claimed that atheists have all the answers, or where I was trying to foist some belief on you. If you read back through the thread, you'll see that my comments have to do with the manner in which Tam Tam's (and then your) point is being argued--first, the notion that claims could be made about a book without having read it; second, the notion of appealing to a universally applicable and therefore empty standard of justification. I don't have the slightest interest in the actual content of your or anyone else's beliefs, just as they shouldn't have the slightest interest in mine.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:03 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
You missed my point Arella. I wasn't feeling condemned in this thread. I am talking about in general.

Look at how much energy is being put, by American "Christians" into telling people who they can't marry. If you are a Christian you may choose to enter a same sex marriage that is against your personal beliefs...

Jesus spent his time talking about personal righteousnesses. He didn't spend any time talking about how to stop people who didn't believe from doing anything. You see absolutely no interest of Jesus on any issue for anyone who wasn't following Him.

Jude 3 Contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

I have to live in this world e_brown. Do you expect me to just sit idly by and not do a single thing? I highly doubt that you do. Just as you seem (and I say seem because I don't know for sure) to be advocating for same sex marriage, I have the same right to lobby against it.

Quote:
Likewise Paul only worried about what was happening in the Church. You again see no interest in forcing people of other religions to do anything.

Who is forcing anyone? My vote is forcing someone? Well, if that is the case then everyone that votes the opposite of me is forcing me. C'mon!

Quote:
Today's Christians are supporting war... promoting hatred an fear of their enemies (that's the people they call "islamofacists"), and actively opposing forgiveness (otherwise known as amnesty) for their neighbors who they are supposed to be loving.

Today's Christians? Huh? All of them? Hmmm, don't think so. I don't like war at all but I do understand that it happens because people just can't seem to get along. Hmmm, think maybe it's because they don't like what others believe? Curious that.

Quote:
The main teachings of Jesus, "blessed are the peacemakers", "love your enemies", "don't resist the evil man", "forgive as you have been forgiven" have been completely forgotten.

Ah, The Beatitudes! My favorite reading from the Bible. Funny thing about some non-Christians (only applies if it applies). They (generalized) don't believe in the Bible but will always point out the things that seemingly make God look bad but will use other scripture to prove their point.

Quote:
The main teachings of today's Christians "don't forgive people who have broken the law", "keep people from marrying", "don't read children's books that have broomriding" seem a bit off even from a Biblical point of view.

Haven't the foggiest idea of what Christians you are talking about here. I suppose we ought to just forgive all the murderers, pedophiles, rapists, etc. Forgive them, yes. But they still have to pay for their crime.

The Bible says we are to obey the laws of the land, right? That means you go to jail for breaking the law.

Quote:
If you are going to claim to be following God, why not spend your energy doing something worthwhile?

Again, and this time I direct this directly to you, e_brown. You have absolutely no clue as to what I do that is worthwhile in my personal life. However, due to a previous experience, I'm not going to list them because I then get accused of touting my virtues.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:06 pm
Shapeless wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
Rolling Eyes Yeah, I know, atheists have all the answers and there is no chance anyone else does? Rolling Eyes

Ah... another time-honored tactic: dismiss something the other side didn't say, but do it facetiously so that they'll be tricked into defending it anyway. Arella, please show me where I claimed that atheists have all the answers, or where I was trying to foist some belief on you. If you read back through the thread, you'll see that my comments have to do with the manner in which Tam Tam's (and then your) point is being argued--first, the notion that claims could be made about a book without having read it; second, the notion of appealing to a universally applicable and therefore empty standard of justification. I don't have the slightest interest in the actual content of your or anyone else's beliefs, just as they shouldn't have the slightest interest in mine.

Quote:
It's the most versatile trump card in the theist's deck. It's always ready to go, when all else fails

Ok, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt here Shapeless. Tell me that this statement doesn't, in any way, imply that you (atheist I'm assuming. If I'm wrong, I will happily apologize) are right and I was somehow dodging/evading the point because I failed to prove you or whomever wrong?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:47 pm
TamTam wrote:
The themes of the Harry Potter books/movies are not about gardening.

Boy, is my face red! But that does explain why all my plants died.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:10 pm
God I love your sense of humor cyphercat.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:10 pm
Fortunately, the idiocy that makes these people attack the Potter books is not shared by all "Christians," thus allowing the books to be one of the most loved and widely appreciated series in history. I think it's a waste of time to let MOAN push everone's buttons like this.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:16 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
God I love your sense of humor cyphercat.

Well, I tried to think of a serious response to this thread, but it's just so damn funny that I couldn't. Plus, with a brilliant straight line like Tam kindly set up there, it was just too easy...

Edgar, you're completely right. I know lots of Christians who understand that no one is going to be hurt by these books, or led to worshiping at altars to the devil. Rolling Eyes I think the main problem, as someone already pointed out, is people who haven't read the books getting all freaked out without knowing what they're talking about.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:19 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Tell me that this statement doesn't, in any way, imply that you (atheist I'm assuming. If I'm wrong, I will happily apologize) are right and I was somehow dodging/evading the point because I failed to prove you or whomever wrong?

Right about what, Arella? That the "will of God" card is an empty defense because it is can be applied to anything? That's what my claim was about, so yes, I absolutely was purporting to be right about this theistic rhetorical strategy. However, you responded with...

Quote:
Yeah, I know, atheists have all the answers and there is no chance anyone else does?

...which has magically expanded the scope of my comment to "all the answers." Even (or especially) if you meant this in sarcasm, it strikes me as a juvenile response at best and an evasion of the substance of my claim at worst.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:23 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Fortunately, the idiocy that makes these people attack the Potter books is not shared by all "Christians," thus allowing the books to be one of the most loved and widely appreciated series in history. I think it's a waste of time to let MOAN push everone's buttons like this.

I am going to kindly and respectfully ask you to please do not refer to me as MOAN.

And no one has pushed any buttons here. We are just having a conversation. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:55 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Messing with the occult is not a good idea at all.

Why? What do you think is going to happen?

P
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:57 pm
Pauligirl,

Sorry but I am not about to get into that discussion with anyone.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:16 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
We are making sport of Tam Tam's ideas. The problem is that what he is saying is NOT funny, and there are many more people who think like him.
It is a shame that some people are so taken in by the radical religious rhetoric, that they cannot discern truth from fiction.

We can only look to Afghanistan, and observe the results of the same kinds of thinking, to realize how badly a country can deteriorate when an area is taken over by religious wingnuts.

We need only look at the Soviet Union to see how dangerous and deadly a country can get when it is taken over by atheists.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:30 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Hi Tam Tam. Laughing This is my first time seeing you here so welcome.

Something you might want to keep in mind when reading some of these posts is many on this forum either 1) do not believe in God; 2) aren't sure there is God; 3) think themselves to be god, 4) searching for God.

If they do not believe God is real then they, of course, are going to consider the occult to not be real in the same sense. I cannot speak for anyone other than myself but that is the impression I have gotten from many of the conversations here.

Many equate believing in unicorns to believing in God. It's a bumpy ride here on A2K at times but there are plenty of civil, respectful, and knowledgable people here.

I, for one, and I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone, agree with you. Messing with the occult is not a good idea at all.

WOW! You're right though. This doesn't surprise me.
0 Replies