'Analyse This!' (To a Young friend Who Critiques My verses)

jjorge

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:49 am
'Analyse This!'

(To a Young Friend Who Critiques My verses)

I think that I will never be
A lit'ry poet such as thee,

(Although I'm told my verses sing
and dimples to some faces bring)

My poems can't be very good
-they're much too easily understood,

And yet they sing! (with quavering voice)
Sometimes they even sound like JOYCE!

Okay, okay! (confessing shames)
They're MORE like Kilmer, LESS like James.

And while I'm speaking of confessin'
...I didn't like your latest lessen.

My friend if I live long enough
I hope to grow, write better stuff,

And you, my bright precocious pup
Will teach me more...... when you grow up.

(jjorge 6-13-03)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,584 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 10:58 am
Bring on the dimples! I do enjoy your work so much, jjorge.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 12:13 pm
Live and learn. :-)
Live to learn!

It's all good.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 12:22 pm
Re: 'Analyse This' (To a Young friend Who Critiques My verse
jjorge*197982* wrote:

My poems can't be very good
-they're much too easily understood

Classic!! Ogden Nash-caliber. (This coming from someone who had Ogden Nash read at her wedding...)
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 01:47 pm
ehBeth, Codeborg, Sozobe

Thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:31 pm
jjorge,kind has nothing to do with it (at least in my case).
You write things I appreciate and enjoy. Almost as much as I enjoy your avatar :wink:
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:12 pm
ehBeth wrote:
jjorge,kind has nothing to do with it (at least in my case).
You write things I appreciate and enjoy. Almost as much as I enjoy your avatar :wink:

ehBeth, Soz et al

You might appreciate a little background.

My 'Young Friend' is my step-daughter's fiancee. He is a very bright young man who was an English major and is an aspiring writer.
He is a sort of hyper-intellectualized (and hypo-emotionalized) fellow who, when I shared a few of my recent poems with him, adopted a professorial (and I think condescending) stance with a detailed critique of my word choices, rhyme scheme etc.

I am usually much more diplomatic with people. However in this case he singled out two poems which are deeply meaningful to me ( "...and did I mention that you smoke?" [and] "Not To Worry") and sort of damned them with faint praise.

That is why I wrote this poem and sent it to him last night. To his credit He took it well, and replied today stating:

"I'm glad my critique provided you with a new poem. Now you're like every other poet I know....cheers! "

Who knows, maybe the exchange cleared the air a little and perhaps we will someday become friends.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 09:57 pm
You are too kind, jjorge. But I suppose bopping him on the head with the manuscript wouldn't exactly make points with your step-daughter, so I guess you did the right thing. Perhaps being married to your step-daughter will civilize the brute...in time.

I have little patience for his type. Can you tell?! I have done my fair share of editing through the years, and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that form is insignificant compared to content. Any decent proofreader can fix the form. It takes real talent, like yours, to produce such content. Keep it up...it's outstanding. On another thread, you said you were honored. I meant to honor you...I feel honored that you would share your work with us.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:34 pm
Great poem. Love the last line!

Bravo!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:00 pm
I think his reply means he's not popular with any poets. "Your" young pup does sound like an annoyance but remember, Jjorge, you are natural adversaries. You both have some claims to the attention of your step-daughter and he's a writer. He's got his ruff up and will be forever competing with you on multiple levels. There are thus many ways you could torment him. Smile

I suspect you'll rise above this. Very Happy
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:24 pm
I hadn't thought of that. What insight here. It surely makes me smile to imagine the competition between you both as the years go by. Smile
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:10 pm
Re: 'Analyse This' (To a Young friend Who Critiques My verse
sozobe wrote:
...Classic!! Ogden Nash-caliber. (This coming from someone who had Ogden Nash read at her wedding...)

Soz,

You like Ogden Nash eh? I've liked him since I was a kid!

I'm fascinated with the idea of an O.N. reading at your wedding.

Care to say what it was?
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:43 pm
Piffka wrote:
"Your" young pup does sound like an annoyance but remember, Jjorge, you are natural adversaries. You both have some claims to the attention of your step-daughter and he's a writer. He's got his ruff up and will be forever competing with you on multiple levels. There are thus many ways you could torment him. Smile

I suspect you'll rise above this. Very Happy

Piffka

As a neo-freudian, I agree with you that, to a degree, on an emotional level, we are adversaries. I also believe that our rational faculties can help us overcome the adversarial 'script'.

I truly do not wish (on a conscious, rational, level that is) to torment him.
I really do have a lot of respect for his intellect.
(although he does suffer from a certain arrogance and would benefit from questioning himself more!)

I think and hope that we can become friends with time.

My step-daughter is very wise. She knows that if her fiancee and I are to have a relationship, WE will have to fashion it.

She is smart enough not to get drawn into either the role of 'arbiter' or 'prize'. She would be more inclined to laugh and let us cross swords. She would not accept ownership of any such problem.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:02 pm
She sounds like a wise woman. You are both lucky.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:36 pm
I am always attracted to wisdom and good character traits in women.

My step-daughter, who I adore, is like her Mom (my late fiancee) in that respect.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:18 am
My sympathies for your loss.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:23 am
Happy Father's Day, Jjorge!

I'm sure you'll find some good ways to become friends with your step-daughter's fiancee... but it may never be through poetry, even after you are published and acclaimed.

Maybe he likes gardening, kayaking or dogs?
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 12:29 pm
dupre wrote:
My sympathies for your loss.

Dupre

thank you. It was nine years ago but I still see her in my step-daughter.

She, ( ie. my S.D) gave me for father's day, the gift I cherish most...
her time.

Fathers day was a lovely day here, sunny and warm but not hot.
First Kelly bought me a nice lunch, then we went on a hike to a place I'd never been - A trail that goes about a mile through woods and then suddenly bursts upon a gorgeous view of Narragansett Bay, and a lightly used, rocky beach just south of the village of Wickford R.I.
After strolling on the beach awhile -walking...gawking and talking... we went to a Ben And Jerry's store and had an ice cream.

Then, when I thought she was dropping me off she went instead to a new coffee shop (quaintly named the 'Bad-assed Coffee house') for cups of hawaian Kona coffee.

I'll remember the day for a long time.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:04 pm
How lovely! I'm so happy for you that you both have each other. What a perfect gift and memory. You must be a very special person.
0 Replies