Be Careful About Being Nice to Your Waiter

cavfancier

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:31 am
Yeppers....maybe the bunny should take an attitude check and go back to it too Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:21 am
Well, that was certainly not the case in my day - nor, in Oz, do I believe it is the case now - since reasonable, but not ridiculous wages are paid.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:59 am
dlowan, I can read the English language and understand it's meaning pretty well, thank you! I don't need you to interpret what anybody else writes on A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:53 am
I agree a little bit with everybody here, which will be disagreeable to Codeborg!

I am sympathetic to the trials of being a waiter. I know they are dealing with both customers and the kitchen, not to mention the boss.

I think some waitstaff at midlevel restaurants make more money than I do, and am sure some at the really good places do.

I will leave 15% tip normally, sometimes way over that if it is a very inexpensive restaurant, and very occasionally a bit under 15% if I am just sort of disgruntled. I don't leave a tip at all if I have had totally horrible service (rare)

I reserve my right not to like being constantly asked how I am doing, without it being assumed that I am an arrogant customer. I do know that multiply repetitive asking how one is doing is probably a management direction, and not the waiter's solo manner. I also reserve the right to - one day I hope far in the future - stop conversation I am participating in by raising my hand, spit out my food to my napkin, and answer, "not fine." Until that distant day, I will try to practice waiting to swallow my food before answering my usual "fine".

I also thought Setanta was switching to speaking generally re the existence of arrogant customers, in this and other service industries, in his paragraph that offended CI - afterhe had agreed with him in the paragraph preceding.

We sometimes run into some real arrogant doozies in my own field of landscape design.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:04 am
I think what it boils down to, is people suck.

Especially crack whores.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:07 am
people suck...crack whores swallow...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:10 am
No one insulted you c.i., that was most definitely a case of "if the shoe fits wear it . . . " and about 75% per cent of the crap you post in these fora is not appreciated by me . . . so i guess we're even . . .

So why is everybody so damned crabby today?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:29 am
Is this a case of the "crabbys" left over from Friday the 13th? Lighten up guys, please!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:36 am
The shoe analogy doesn't fit anywhere except on your head. c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:38 am
The Cunning Coney was exactly right, i was responding to her post. I had not a thought in my head about what you had posted. You decided to take offense where none had been offered--so if the shoe fits . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:15 am
I for one do not feel crabby today......

((((((((((((((((((BEAR HUG))))))))))))))))))))))

for everyone!!!!!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:18 am
Atleast your consistent with your insults, "and about 75% per cent of the crap you post in these fora is not appreciated by me . . . so i guess we're even . . ." The only disagreement I would have is that I thought it was closer to 70 percent. c.i.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:18 am
Yea, someone pissed in a few of you people's cheerios today.

Damn it, lighten up, go kick a puppy, and put a smile on your face.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:22 am
i was thinking a little more fibre in the diet might help a few people today.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:32 am
ehBeth- Good idea. Waiter, a round of Metamucil for the whole table, please. And bring a basket of bran flakes to go with it! Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:35 am
Make mine a beer.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:27 pm
Ah ... diversity. :-) I'll drink to that!

All is well in the world again.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:35 pm
Well, seeing as Slappy brought it up, 'crack whore' would definitely classify as a worse job than waiting tables. Even worse than 'crack whore' though, is 'assistant crack whore.'
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:36 pm
CodeBorg, That's not what I hear; they're still duking it out in Israel, Congo, Afghanistan and Iraq. ;( c.i.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:06 pm
Well you know, it really is in people's nature to be like that.
I do whatever I can to quell the tide of war, because that's my personal preference,
but it won't ever go away completely.

What would the world be without human murder, violence and mayhem?
It would be heaven! (as Christians see it).
ie. You would be dead.
I'll have plenty of time to rest in peace later, but for now we are all alive!

The thread? ... so tip your waiter well, or stiff them as you please! :-)
0 Replies