Be Careful About Being Nice to Your Waiter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:27 am
Quote:
Waiter Plotted Revenge Over Veggie Order?
Wed Jun 11, 8:28 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - What happens when a waiter gets one complaint too many?

Police in Corona, California, say a waiter at a Sizzler restaurant there went to the home of a family who complained about his service and cooked up a special order on their lawn -- eggs, flour, maple syrup and toilet paper.

Jonathan Voeltner, 20, was arrested on Saturday, suspected of vandalism and contributing to the delinquency of minors -- his 17-year-old girlfriend and two younger brothers -- who helped him deliver the midnight snack, police said.

All four were released pending a July 24 court appearance. Sizzler has fired Voeltner, a corporate spokeswoman said.

Voeltner apparently became incensed on Friday evening when Darlene Keller complained to a manager that he refused to swap the potatoes that came with her meal for vegetables.

Keller subsequently got the cauliflower and broccoli she requested, while Voeltner laid plans for a special recipe of his own, said Corona police Sgt. Jerry Rodriguez.

"He had his girlfriend, a minor, follow the family home when they left the restaurant to get their address," Rodriguez said. "When he got off work she picked him up with his 17- and 10-year-old brothers."

The foursome went to a nearby grocery store and picked up the ingredients for their revenge recipe, Rodriguez said.

After throwing eggs against the house, festooning the trees with toilet paper and sprinkling the lawn with flour and maple syrup, they rang the doorbell several times at about 1 a.m. and waited to see Keller's reaction, Rodriguez said.

Upon seeing the mess, Keller called police, who arrived a short time later and arrested the girlfriend and younger boys. "The server came out of the bushes and (Keller) recognized him," Rodriguez said. "She said, 'That's my waiter!'"

Sizzler spokeswoman Susan Hernandez said the chain "deeply regrets" the incident and has offered the Kellers a free meal and a landscaper to repair any damage to their home.

There is something about this that disturbs me beyond the vandalism. I am appalled that this waiter actually FOLLOWED THE PATRON HOME! IMO this guy should be charged with more than vandalism............stalking comes to mind. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,529 • Replies: 113
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:38 am
Sounds like he is a few picture cards short of a full deck!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:42 am
Or some spices short of a curry
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:47 am
Well, DID he refuse to change the order?

If so, why?

Is there more to this story? Was the waiter treated really badly?

I mean, stalking is mean, but sometimes there is great temptation.

I confess, I have been tempted, in my waitressing years, to do such things - but confined myself to petty revenges, like only PRETENDING to swap dropped cutlery if people were bastids....

I understand writing obscenities with little spray packs of Round Up on people's front lawns was popular a while back...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:48 am
nah - stalking is never justified - but there are customers I recall from all those years ago that this story brings a gleam to my eye in thinking about...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:21 am
dlowan- I can certainly understand your pique at the way some customers treat waiters. But THINKING and DOING are two different things. That is what makes the difference between a civilized individual, and a savage.

BTW, if one could be convicted for one's thoughts, I probably would be writing to you from the slammer! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:39 am
heehee - there's worser things than the cutlery - heehee
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:50 am
I remember 30 years ago when I was a part time waiter I had a really nasty customer, so I took his coffee to him with my thumb in the cup, and he asked what the hell I thought I was doing. I told him I had an infected cut on my thumb and the doctor told me to keep it in something warm whenever possible.

The guy got furious, jumped out of his seat and said he was gonna stick my thumb up my ass for me. I informed him that's where I kept it when I wasn't serving coffee. Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:51 am
Wink
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:07 pm
I had a friend in the restaurant business years ago who suggested that one should avoid sending a dish back to the kitchen. You never know what might be in it when you get it back.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:24 pm
Phoenix--

I share your sense of disquiet. The waiter obviously felt "How Dare She Cross Me" and proceeded to take dramatic revenge for what he chose to consider a personal insult.

Dragging the little brothers along was another element of warped thinking.

Finally, ringing the doorbell so that he could personally savor the customer's/householder's indignation.....

I don't know about the waiter's past, but I'd guess there is considerable chance he'll have a very troubled future.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:25 pm
I guess it's the girlfriend who should be convicted of stalking, no?

Throwing eggs at a house -- never seen it done. Never participated in it. Never even heard about it. Nope. I disavow all knowledge of any such activities in my juvenile days in high school. Don't even think I had anything to do with any such nonsense, okay?

Toilet paper -- Please refer to the above.

Flour and maple syrup -- Well now, that's a variation that ... I've also never heard of.

Lived in the same town, did they? A small town like Corona? In California? Were any of them on a sports team at all?

Not to worry. Most of our track team grew up to be just fine.

PS -- I was followed home a few times when I was in high school (like many kids) but certainly not for maple syrup. I prefer the syrup.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:39 pm
I need to put my glasses on. I keep reading the title of this as : Be nice to your avatar. Oy!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:58 pm
Awe, come-on, Phoenix, there's a nut in every profession. Show me one that doesn't? c.i.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:26 pm
Reminds me of the time I was waiting tables at America's favorite seafood restaurant...the Red Lobster.

This couple came in, and after they left, I realized they left only a 14.7% tip, falling short of the minimum 15%. I then saw them leaving the parking lot, wrote down their plate number, ran it, and found out their address.

Then I went to the house and had sex with their dog in the backyard, just to show them. They didnt' know at the time, but imagine their surprise, after the dog told them I had the doggy style sex with it? HAHA! WHO'S THE LOSER NOW!!!

Um, that's not weird, is it? Just kidding, anyway.

It was a goat.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:28 pm
Thank god I fired that dude....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:39 pm
Slappy, I believe you've past the grey line of decency. c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:43 pm
Once my grandfather, due to failing eyesight, read a restaurant bill wrong and left a smaller tip than was expected. The waiter chased him down the street and threw the tip back at him yelling "I don't need your ******* cheap tip you ******* Jew!" I think it is important to recognize that the operative word in 'service industry', is 'service'. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Now Phoenix's guy sounds a bit warped. I do have to wonder if the plot may have been the girlfriend's idea. Still, very bizarre, and no, he never worked for me. I would never hire a 20 year old with a resume reading only "Sizzler".
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
I had to chase someone out in the parking lot once...not because they didn't tip, but shorted the bill by about $10.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:16 pm
and the thing is...your grandfather was probably a Presbyterian.....
0 Replies