This will be interesting
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,676 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 06:06 pm
The quality of any particular well-known manufacturer's hardware doesn't vary enough to affect game performance. If your main co-processor array is not up to the task, it won't matter if it's AMD or Intel--you need not simply to meet the minimum operating standards for the game, but to significantly exceed minimum standards. Same thing goes for your video card--if you have sufficient onboard memory and to spare, then it won't matter whose card you're using.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 07:05 pm
I gotta agree w/Setanta - when it comes to the major name-brand offerings, they're about as different as Coke & Pepsi, Chevy & Ford, Winston & Marlboro - folks are gonna favor whichever one comes in the package they find most appealing. I personally have several 'puters, differing in processor, motherboard and chipset, equipped with a variety of video solutions, running several different operating systems, and I work on all sortsa machines for lotsa other folks; IMO and experience, faster processor, more and faster memory, latest version of operating system, and beefier video card, regardless of combination, equates to higher performance.
0 Replies

S3V

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:40 am
But...
That is not my question. I know that those manufacturers are nearly identical in performance, but it is human nature to have preferences. So which do you prefer?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:52 am
Well, "PREFER"? Actually, I don't really have a preference along those lines - if a tool adequately does the job I want done, its good enough for me, and the tools you've listed all pretty much get the same jobs done the same way. If I were to choose one over another, my criteria most likely would be availability and price point - grab whichever was priced most attractively on the shelf in front of me.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:34 pm
I 'spose you wanted to say ATI or Nvidia... in which case I tend to favor AMD and Nvidia, mostly because of price.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 01:03 pm
OK, i got ya . . .

I prefer Intel and ATI, 'cause they come in cooler lookin' boxes . . .

(Insert rolly-eyed emoticon here)

No, it is not correct to automatically assume that everyone has preferences which extend to brand identification--price and availability always trump other considerations when the products are equivalent.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 01:43 pm
I gotta say I appreciate Intel's packaging ... easy to open, not a lot of filler, nifty fonts, nice graphics, rich blue overall color scheme, dignified, almost understated brand-image presentation. ATI and nVidia packaging, though, both strike me as a bit overly busy and a tad garish. My personal preference leaning more toward the cooler end of the color spectrum, I suppose nVidia's boxes offer me more eye appeal than do ATI's. Still, all else being equal, and assuming motherboard/chipset properties aren't a deciding factor, I'll go for whichever is handiest to grab at a price I'm willing to pay.
0 Replies

S3V

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 02:11 am
Yah,
Pantalones, I meant Nvidia or ATI. NVIDIA or ATI.
0 Replies