• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 828 • Replies: 7
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 11:33 am
Re: What is understanding?
coberst wrote:
What is understanding?

To be aware of the process by which something occurs.

Then the question is, "what does it mean to be aware of?"

And the answer to that is, "to have it stored in memory."

Now there is an apparent contradiction here, because the above logic would imply that anything capable of storing a set of steps is capable of understanding.

There are a couple of subtle modifications that must be made to the definitions, then.

To be aware must mean, to have it stored in memory, and have a conscious mind capable of reading that memory.

And now the question is, "what is consciousness?"

And that we don't know the answer to.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 01:36 pm
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 02:17 pm
cob
I rewrote your list to the example of learning and playing the guitar. I had to tack on a category. Any thoughts?

Awareness- Exposure to the fact that the instrument exists.

Consciousness- The first meeting with the intstrument. Learning the first chord, the first song.

Knowledge- Intimate relationship with instrument, hours of playing and improvising

Understanding- A state of transgression to

Wisdom- In which the tables have turned. Throughout learning, the melody in the mind has been restrained by the limits of the skill in applying it to the instrument. In this state, restraint is broken as total mastery is achieved, and the melody flows uninterrupted from it's source in the mind of the player, free.

In the process of obtaining total mastery, it seems that we spend the first few years of the process on tackling the first three points on the list, and spend the rest of our lives in transgression to the final level.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 03:04 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
cob
I rewrote your list to the example of learning and playing the guitar. I had to tack on a category. Any thoughts?

Awareness- Exposure to the fact that the instrument exists.

Consciousness- The first meeting with the intstrument. Learning the first chord, the first song.

Knowledge- Intimate relationship with instrument, hours of playing and improvising

Understanding- A state of transgression to

Wisdom- In which the tables have turned. Throughout learning, the melody in the mind has been restrained by the limits of the skill in applying it to the instrument. In this state, restraint is broken as total mastery is achieved, and the melody flows uninterrupted from it's source in the mind of the player, free.

In the process of obtaining total mastery, it seems that we spend the first few years of the process on tackling the first three points on the list, and spend the rest of our lives in transgression to the final level.

I like that very much. I have no artistic talent but I comprehend your meaning. Do you not pity those who never realize that transgression, or that understanding, or that constant April. I think that those of us who have been fortunate enough to have found such a treasure should try to relay that to others so they might know what to try for. I shall copy your statement and pass it on to others. I assume you don't mind my doing so?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 04:20 pm
I don't mind at all. I am honored.

Quote:
Do you not pity those who never realize that transgression, or that understanding, or that constant April.

I am not sure I do. I feel compassion for those who have a hard time figuring out the subtelties of existence to the extent that it interferes with their happiness, but I do not pity those who do not strive for excellence.

Actually I think we all strive for excellence by some scale or other. When it comes to that constant april, it is not the nature, skill or success of your activity that is the measure, but the passion and effort you put into it.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:31 am
Cyracuz

Well said!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:37 am
Thanks. Smile
0 Replies