phpbb2 avatar problem

pyko

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 10:18 pm
I'm making forum with phpbb2, and I can't seem to make the avatar work. I can make it so people can view the gallery, but for the upload its not exactly working. There is the browse button, but for the specifications this is what it says:

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 100 pixels, the height no greater than 100 pixels, and the file size no more than 0 KB.

and in the admin I have the size set to 15KB....any suggestions?
Thank you :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,622 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 10:23 pm
Did you chmod the avatar folder?
0 Replies

pyko

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 10:48 pm
i changed the chmod the images/avatars folder...and images/avatars/gallery/general (where the pictures are kept).
(they are all set to rwxrwxrwx)
im not sure why i didn't chmod imgaes/avatars/gallery ...would i need to change that one too?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 01:20 am
The default folder for avatar uploads is images/avatars.
You only need to chmod that folder to rwxrwxrwx (777).

What error message do you get when trying to upload?
0 Replies

pyko

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 01:54 am
the error message says:

The avatar image file size must be less than 0 KB

...i can still get avatars from the gallery though
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:07 am
set the maximum avatar sixe to 6KB and see what happens when you try to upload (BTW I recommend 6KB as the limit).
0 Replies

pyko

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:44 am
still doesn't work...i also changed the chmod so that only the avatar folder has rwx available for all. could it be breezeland.com?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:57 am
Well it's a free host and this could be a host limitation. Try contacting them and ask if they permit browser based uploads.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:15 pm
I still haven't heard from you if this solved your problem so here is another possible reason (I rate it as a probably cause of your problem):

phpbb documentation wrote:
phpBB 2.0.5 includes support for using uploadable avatars on systems running PHP in safe mode. If this applies to your hosting service you will need to create a sub-directory called tmp in the directory you specified for storage of uploaded avatars (by default this is images/avatars as explained above). Give it the same access rights as for uploadable avatars above.

This safe mode support includes compatibility with various directory restrictions your host may impose (assuming they are not too restrictive and that the PHP installed is version 4.0.3 or later). There is generally no need for any manual setup for safe mode support it is typically handled transparantly.
0 Replies

G-u-e-s-t

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:33 pm
where you have the 'Maxium Avatar File Size for upload avatar files' under configuration under general admin, make sure you have it correctly there. It is in bytes.... so have something like 20000.... make sure there are no commas or anything.... i had 20,000 in there and it said the same thing.... no files over 0kb
0 Replies