A flaw of intelligence

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:04 am
Is it a flaw of intelligence to assume that it's creation requires the existence of an ever higher intelligence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 810 • Replies: 13
No top replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:40 am
possibly.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 04:02 am
Good answer. Come to think, the question isn't all that good.

The thought behind it was that if you believe that order can come from chaos, then it is reasonable to assume that human intelligence is just an evolutional coincidence...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 05:06 am
all we can do is follow the evidence. Im dead set against making up fairy tales that make one feel good but are evidence-free.
Books of higher authority have never been corroborated by anty evidence. Even the "implied orderly sequence of Biblical Creation" is out of whack from the evidence we can collect.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 05:35 am
I suspect that the "implied orderly sequence of Biblical Creation" is the same orderly sequence of any coherent story.

Nietzche had a good point. He said that no one can control the impulses of their minds. Thoughts come whey they want, not when the thinker wants them, and so the orderly sequence in which any philosopher presents his thoughts is a charade, a narrative tool.

I suspect the bible is no different, because it's origin is the minds of men, not the mouth of God.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 05:47 am
Quote:
I suspect that the "implied orderly sequence of Biblical Creation" is the same orderly sequence of any coherent story.
. Perhaps, but it doesnt match verifiable evidence. So I go with the evidence.

Nietzche was a master of the obvious. He never had the discipline imposed on him to ferret out answers to physical problems, so he was a philosopher instead.
Very Happy
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 05:49 am
Well, a master of the obvious is something to treasure considering that not many of us are. Smile

But you are right about verifiable evidence. But I don't think we're helpless where that cannot be obtained. There are tools.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 06:50 am
i don't think the question was bad, just that it didn't leave too many answers to choose from. anyway, man is always searching to know more about their origins and everybody - deep down - wants to know where we come from, i think that curiosity is the flaw in intelligence because even when we know something is 100% factual, there's always an aspect of ''what if...''
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:17 am
Rockpie

The ability to say 'what if' IS intelligence. Curiosity is probably one of the primal drives of intelligence. So it is not a flaw of it.

The flaw I am talking about is the intelligent entity's tendency to regard itself as an absolute, and it is in estimation of his own worth that the intellect defers to sense of self and creates fatherly entities like the personified god.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:30 am
ooooh, that sounds too much like Philosophy. Im outta here
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:22 am
Cyracuz,

Is it the case that "order" requires "intelligence" to categorize it as such ?

To put it another way, can we define "intelligence" as "that which seeks/recognizes/creates order"? If so "intelligence" cannot be "order". Hence "intelligence" cannot create itself. Your concept of "a flaw" may logically rest on Russell's Paradox (e.g. "who shaves the barber" Wikipedia).
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:12 pm
fresco wrote:
To put it another way, can we define "intelligence" as "that which seeks/recognizes/creates order"?

Maybe this is just bandying words, but I'd say that we assign the attribute intelligence to any entity that seeks to understand by creating a mental order of relations in the interest of recognition.

Order is a concept invented by intelligence, and so is chaos. Frankly I believe that the distinction is what can be understood and what's beyond us, not the presence and absence of symmetry.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:28 am
so... intelligence is any minds ability to understand. to create something, you need to understand how it will work, for example. is that it? sorry i'm struggling here.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:00 pm
Understanding is to a large extent an act of creativity. I like to consider learning the process of filling metaphysical space. You can't decorate without imagination. Smile
0 Replies