Politicians and Religion

peace

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:56 pm
I'm wondering why it is even legal in the USA for politicians to speak in terms of what God wants in regards to policy?

I was listening to the news today and a politician was speaking his views on abortion stating, "they are all God's children". I was like, whoa, there's a God? When did we discover this little factoid?

But even still, wouldn't the decision to have an abortion be something between the person having the abortion and their God? Not between them, their God and the state? How do you Christians reconcile this? Especially how do you reconcile legislating your opinions about God as if it were some truism of Nature?

Please note I'm using abortion only as an example, the question is about God and Politics.

Kind Regards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 30
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:59 pm
Beats me.

Force of habit?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 08:28 pm
I'm with you peace.

My country has far fewer such issues, we are largely a secular country.

I don't envy you folks one bit !!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 08:49 pm
I'm wondering why religious people, Christians at least, put up with it. Something about rendering unto Caesar...
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 09:05 pm
peace wrote:
. . . how do you reconcile legislating your opinions about God as if it were some truism of Nature?

I'm pretty sure that a religious person's opinion about God is a truism, at least as far as they're concerned.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 09:17 pm
Doesn't mean that the government has to have anything to do with it. That is what the rendering thing is about, ain't it?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:24 pm
And how dare the Founding Fathers claim that the purpose of government is to protect the rights that God has given.

from http://www.ushistory.org/Declaration/document/index.htm
Quote:
That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men
emphasis mine

peace wrote:
I'm wondering why it is even legal in the USA for politicians to speak in terms of what God wants in regards to policy?

Funny how some are always trying to outlaw free speech.

peace wrote:
But even still, wouldn't the decision to have an abortion be something between the person having the abortion and their God?

I suggest you check out the abortion thread, rather than sending this one in multiple directions at once.

peace wrote:
Especially how do you reconcile legislating your opinions about God as if it were some truism of Nature?

The Founding Fathers thought it was, so I'd say that you appear to be the one out of the mainstream, not the person you were listening to.

Quote:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them
emphasis mine
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 02:38 am
In my country we have a political party called the Christian People's party. They were thge largest a few years back, and their leader, who's a priest by education, became prime minister.

How's that for not mixing politics and religion.

But if you ask me politics and religion are the same things. After all, before politics, it was religion that served as the governing power in our societies. So now that we have government politics we no longer need government religion.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 02:44 am
btw Eorl. Which country are you from? I am from Norway, and I think I'm the only one in here..
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 02:47 am
Sorry for the multiple posts, but thoughts fall into my head.

I just wondered, does the declaration that's being quoted here apply to all humans, or just americans?

If it applies to all humans it is a load of croc because the very people who are set to uphold it violate it every day.

If it applies to americans only, then it is a load of croc because it assumes that they are the only ones worthy, which is almost as bad as hitler's views on people.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:07 am
I'm one of those annoying Australians.

We have a new party called "Family First" which tries to pretend it isn't a religious party, even though all it's members are former Assembly of God ministers, and all it's funding is from the Assembly of God church.

Unfortunately, they have just one senator who holds a kind of balance of power...I'm not happy !!!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:15 am
The Assembly of God. Now that does sound pretentious. Is it an exclusive clique?

I wish people could just leave God out of it, becuase when it comes to God, every human is equally favored, and God doesn't give a fig what we do amongst ourselves.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:19 am
Oh, and australians are a good deal less annoying that a lot of other folks I know of..
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 02:24 pm
You have a point.
0 Replies

peace

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:30 pm
real life wrote:
And how dare the Founding Fathers claim that the purpose of government is to protect the rights that God has given.

Quote:
emphasis mine

First of all, you'll note that they say "Creator", not your word, "God". Second of all, your entire retort is based on the Declaration of Independence, which is a declaration of independence from British rule. It has nothing to do with the governance of the USA.

real life wrote:

peace wrote:

Some are trying to separate church and state.

real life wrote:

peace wrote:
But even still, wouldn't the decision to have an abortion be something between the person having the abortion and their God?

I suggest you check out the abortion thread, rather than sending this one in multiple directions at once.

Note I said that it was an example and that the discussion was about religion and politics. Please do try to follow the instructions.

real life wrote:

peace wrote:
Especially how do you reconcile legislating your opinions about God as if it were some truism of Nature?

The Founding Fathers thought it was, so I'd say that you appear to be the one out of the mainstream, not the person you were listening to.

Quote:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them
emphasis mine

Again with the declaration of independence. Please read the entire document. After the short, haughty preamble, It's mostly a bunch of bitching about some King. It says nothing about the government that was to follow.

Now I ask you, as you seem to have some opinions on this matter, why should non-Christians be forced to suffer Christian beliefs? What is so complicated about this question? Just tell me why anyone who is not a Christian should be forced to obey Christian rules?

Kind Regards
0 Replies

peace

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:35 pm
echi wrote:
peace wrote:
. . . how do you reconcile legislating your opinions about God as if it were some truism of Nature?

I'm pretty sure that a religious person's opinion about God is a truism, at least as far as they're concerned.

Correct. But when you believe that your ideas are the only ones that matter and that, in fact, every one should have the same ideas as you, well, we have a word for that: psychotic.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

peace

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:43 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
In my country we have a political party called the Christian People's party. They were thge largest a few years back, and their leader, who's a priest by education, became prime minister.

How's that for not mixing politics and religion.

But if you ask me politics and religion are the same things. After all, before politics, it was religion that served as the governing power in our societies. So now that we have government politics we no longer need government religion.

Actually, I have no problem with people who are religious attaining government office. Religion is a natural part of humanity. The problem is when people attempt to legislate from their religious beliefs. For example, being against gay marriage because it's un-Godly. I mean, who's God? The God with the most votes in Congress? I don't think the USA was intended to be a theocracy. I sure as heck don't want it to be one.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:51 pm
peace,

You wrote, "Actually, I have no problem with people who are religious attaining government office." Why don't you? Religious belief runs contrary to rational thought. I don't think that someone so detached should be trusted to represent anyone's interests. As long as they are, and as long as religion is accepted as a valid system of thought, there will be people attempting to legislate their beliefs, trying to change people's minds with God-talk and scripture..... forget about science and reason. Religion is not a "natural part of humanity", as you diplomatically stated. It is mass denial, driven by intolerance and fear. We should not pretend otherwise.

[sorry if that sounded harsh!]
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 12:37 am
peace wrote:
real life wrote:

Quote:
emphasis mine

First of all, you'll note that they say "Creator", not your word, "God". Second of all, your entire retort is based on the Declaration of Independence, which is a declaration of independence from British rule. It has nothing to do with the governance of the USA.

real life wrote:

peace wrote:

Some are trying to separate church and state.

real life wrote:

peace wrote:

Note I said that it was an example and that the discussion was about religion and politics. Please do try to follow the instructions.

real life wrote:

peace wrote:

Quote:
emphasis mine

Again with the declaration of independence. Please read the entire document. After the short, haughty preamble, It's mostly a bunch of bitching about some King. It says nothing about the government that was to follow.

Now I ask you, as you seem to have some opinions on this matter, why should non-Christians be forced to suffer Christian beliefs? What is so complicated about this question? Just tell me why anyone who is not a Christian should be forced to obey Christian rules?

Kind Regards

Do you really think the Founding Fathers meant something other than 'God' when they said 'Creator' ? C'mon. Note that the previous paragraph makes explicit appeal to 'Nature's God'.

The Declaration of Independence is the REASON we have the Constitution, it states in no uncertain terms what the Founders believed the PURPOSE of government to be.

Why should non Christians follow laws based on Christian beliefs? Ask the question the other way around: why should Christians follow laws based on non Christian beliefs?

The answer to both is that we have a representative government and if you are able to get someone elected who represents your view, he will assist in passing the laws.

And if you can't get someone elected, then the majority who did get someone elected will have their view represented.

That's the way it works.

Are you unaware of this?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 12:45 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Sorry for the multiple posts, but thoughts fall into my head.

I just wondered, does the declaration that's being quoted here apply to all humans, or just americans?

If it applies to all humans it is a load of croc because the very people who are set to uphold it violate it every day.

If it applies to americans only, then it is a load of croc because it assumes that they are the only ones worthy, which is almost as bad as hitler's views on people.

Your comparison of the USA to Hitler reveals enormous ignorance of history.

What do you think Norway would be now if not for the USA?

Speaking German, that's what.

Note that the Declaration says 'separate and equal' as well as 'among [the nations]' , not 'the only ones worthy'.

Quote:
and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them,

These thoughts that fall into your head.............is there a hole through which they enter?
0 Replies