her skin.

And you watch
as she adorns herself -
fulfilled desires strung like beads
around her throat-
a necklace of dreams that came true
it gleams -
like a smile.

*I was talking to a friend of mine who feels kind of stuck in her life. She spoke about how hard it was to look around her and see people who are happy right now. I thought that made an interesting subject for a poem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 586 • Replies: 4
No top replies

theollady

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 09:14 am
Quote:
You know-

Those were meant to be yours.
And you imagine the recipient
answering the door
and receiving your gifts,
delight and surprise
on her face as she pulls
your love from the box to lie next to
her skin.

And you watch
as she adorns herself -
fulfilled desires strung like beads
around her throat-
a necklace of dreams that came true
it gleams -
like a smile.

This is really quite some insight aiden. Your life is spilling over with rich experience, hmmmm? Keep letting it flow, it is helpful
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm
Have you ever felt like that Ollady? I used to all the time. I'd see someone who was beautiful, usually blonde and popular and smart and nice too boot and here I was this little dark, non-descript shy girl who wore glasses and had pimples and I"d just think, "What must it be like?"

Fortunately, things kind of even out after a while for most people - love comes into their lives, despite what they look like- and that envy kind of takes a back seat or disappears altogether.

But my friend is in a situation where she had everything, and then in a matter of days circumstances changed for her so that she pretty much lost everything she was feeling smug and assured that she had (her own words). Now she said that she looks at others who seem happy like the little match girl in the fairy tale. I should have given her credit for this poem -the idea, if not the language- she's really pretty astute and descriptive and kind of laid down the outline for this poem for me in a phone call a couple of weeks ago.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:54 pm
Well, I sort of felt like it as a young child, aiden.
Some girls in our country town got cute dresses and sox to match for occasions like birthdays, Easter dresses, and Christmas
There was one 'bumpy' girl who got the most beautiful clothes, and I used to think, "If that was me I would look like a princess and act like one, but this is wasted on her"... and thoughts like that. I laughed when I became older as I realized "pretty is ---is pretty does" like my gramma told me.
Sure, we have all suffered from "envy" I suppose, perhaps more than we have realized. Yet time and love takes care of much disappointment.

I just think you have a lovely and deeply insightful gift, to put feelings into "words" so well.
I noticed in one topic you wrote to someone, that your 'last lines' had been FORCED. I know exactly what you mean about that... often a grand stream of rhythm comes flowing from the mind, and we try to RUSH it. We really try to 'polish and release it' as though it were our OWN. but you know, aiden... beauty and wisdom just ARE, they belong really to no one.

Nice chatting with you... later, lou
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:49 pm
Quote:
beauty and wisdom just ARE, they belong really to no one.

That's true, and we humans can make it negative (by envying) or trying to possess it for ourselves instead of just appreciating it or enjoying it when or wherever we see it.
Good point Ollady. That's why I like talking to you - I always come away with a different (and maybe deeper and truer) insight.

Thanks again for your encouragement.
0 Replies