what is spirituality?

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 05:25 am
JLN wrote:
The self is a critically useful fiction, and in everyday life I usually orient myself as an ego-self to everything else. But when I look I know better.

Good point. I see self as the mother of all illutions, since, in a way, all illusion begines with self.
As an ego-self I sometimes encounter situations in which the action I chose to take is motivated by the understanding of the self's illusory nature. So I still act as an ego-self, but from the understanding that I am not.
That is important to me. One thing is to understand in abstract terms what it means that the self is illusory. Another thing is to apply it in one's life.

Kim

Your question to JL highlights a few unfortunate flaws of our reasoning that are results of how our language is organized.

For instance,
when we are speaking about emotional issues we relate to emotions as something that happens to the self. This is in order to distance ourselves from them in the interest of contemplation. We realize quickly, however, that emotions are part of the self, and this distinction 'me and my emotions' is really a sub-division of the self. It's the same with 'me-my thoughts, me-my body and so on.

This is another issue that reveals the self as something without true consistence. It is not aboslutely defined. The self is highly fluid, an ongoing transition from one perspective to another, where aspects are included or excluded, changing the content of the self. Another example of this is the distinction of thoughts that we think and thoughts that fall into our heads.
0 Replies

kim1

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 05:57 am
Cyracuz wrote:

Kim

Your question to JL highlights a few unfortunate flaws of our reasoning that are results of how our language is organized.

For instance,
when we are speaking about emotional issues we relate to emotions as something that happens to the self. This is in order to distance ourselves from them in the interest of contemplation. We realize quickly, however, that emotions are part of the self, and this distinction 'me and my emotions' is really a sub-division of the self. It's the same with 'me-my thoughts, me-my body and so on.

This is another issue that reveals the self as something without true consistence. It is not aboslutely defined. The self is highly fluid, an ongoing transition from one perspective to another, where aspects are included or excluded, changing the content of the self. Another example of this is the distinction of thoughts that we think and thoughts that fall into our heads.

I am sorry Cyracuz, it seems I am a little bit thick.
can you please explain in more simple words? Confused
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 06:53 am
I think we generally agree that emotions and thoughts are something that occur within the self.

But in understanding emotions and thoughts we talk as if they happen to us, not in us. But the truth is that they are not something that is happening to you. They are 'you happening'.

So the self can change it's contents. Because of this, the borders of 'self' can never be completely defined, something that indicates that there are no borders to the self.

Not to try and confuse or anything, but in more poetical terms I would say that spirit is the light of life, and self is the world it shines on.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:49 pm
Cryacuz, Smile

Kim, you ask: "who is the one listening to the thoughts running in my head?"

Only thoughts, including the thought "thoughts running in my head."
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:45 am
Smile
Kind of gives new meaning to the phrase 'doctor I'm hearing voices'.
0 Replies