Goodbye Atticus.... Gregory Peck dies...

caramel

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/91785p-83405c.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,551 • Replies: 13
No top replies

mac11

Oh, how sad... Sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Little by little, the great era of moviemaking is ending. Sorry to see him go! Sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

It's really strange; while my wife was watching t.v. yesterday, I said "Atticus" out of the blue. She asked, what does that have to do with anything? I answered, "To Kill a Mockingbird." Strange. c.i.
0 Replies

Equus

Just last week, the American Film Institute recognized Atticus Finch as #1 on their list of the top 100 film heroes of all time. I hope Peck was aware of that honor before he passed.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 03:41 pm
this really is so sad Crying or Very sad I also remember him for 'Gentlemen's Agreement" Crying or Very sad and I'm sure you all know of his tremendous work in support of the arts and liberal causes Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 06:37 pm
To me, the best actor of The Golden Age of Hollywood. Just nobody compares. Even in an action/adventure like "The Guns of Navarone," his scene where it's imparative to kill the female spy sends shivers down my spine. Only low point was playing Ahab in "Moby Dick" as Abraham Lincoln. Otherwise, "The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" is an electrifying performance and he deserved more Oscars than he received.

Thanks for posting this and welcome to A2K Film Forum, caramel.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 07:16 pm
Welcome here at a2k, Caramel! On Gregory Peck, I have never heard anything negative about him; I think he was a gentleman offscreen as well as on, in the best sense.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 07:37 pm
great artists teach us about ourselves.

http://home.mindspring.com/~fcalaja/_uimages/gpeck2.gif

"He established his persona, ….and it was that of a father for all seasons. His visage, voice and frame came to signal home ground, to shelter whole litters of lost sons and daughters, and to foster faith in just, though sometimes controversial, causes."
Kathleen Murphy, in Film Comment (1992)

Rest in peace.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 08:06 pm
Oh, I will miss him. A few years ago, I taped a broadcast of one of his stage appearances in which he showed scenes from his trip to Ireland, and family life, and answered questions from the audience and he was grand. He spoke tearfully of his oldest son who commited suicide in 1975 and glowingly of his son Tony and daughter Cecelia who are also actors. Who wouldn't recognize that beautiful voice!

Thank you for the post, Caramel.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 08:48 pm
The Alliance Theatre in Atlanta, where I worked for several years, featured Mr. Peck as the guest of honor for our annual gala of 1995. His stage show, where he talked and showed clips from his illustrious career, was mesmerizing but what struck me most was how gracious he was with the dozens and dozens of people requesting photos with him afterwards. He was charming and quite the gentleman thruout the evening and it was fun watching the old girls wet their pants being that close to him.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 10:16 pm
One of a handful of truly intelligent actors. No matter what role he played, you always were aware of something sensitive and profound going on behind those eyes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 10:21 pm
A gentleman's gentleman. c.i.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 11:36 pm
I guess he'll never play football with the Methodists now....
0 Replies