What should we do about Halloween?

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:39 pm
Ok ok, this scrooge has candy....... and is waiting for the kiddos to arrive as well.

Smile

Not after having a proper halloween for myself that is..

ahhhhh

the smell of white sage

BB
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:06 pm
Just got a compliment on our jack-o-lantern.

"I like your pumpkin. It's very abstract," says this tiny little fairy.

I just said "Thanks" instead of telling her that when I asked my son to carve the scariest thing he could think of, he cut out the silhouette of an oil refinery.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:26 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I envy the Ozzians: they don't have to put up with this hocus-pocus crap.

I was under the impression that the holloween festival was originally an end of summer harvest type festival with celtic origins.
When Aust was first colonised the population found that the dates oct 31/nov 1 did not correspond with end of summer/harvest. ergo no need for a celebrations

The trick or treat thing is struggling to gain a toehold here in some areas.

I think what I object to most is the Americanisation of our culture.
What I do like is anything that puts you in touch with your neighbours. It helps to create a real sense of community. And of course any excuse for a party!
Last year we had one lot of kids at the door all dressed up but no callers this year.

Quote:
I asked my son to carve the scariest thing he could think of, he cut out the silhouette of an oil refinery.

He obviously hasnt seen a "nooclear" reactor.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:19 am
Besides the fear factor of Halloween I think the thing that stands out in my mind as the the worst part of Halloween is the waste of pumpkins.

I was taught NEVER to waste food. I think of all of the starving people and children in the world that could live on a single pumpkin for a week and it sickens me. People are in the local park near where I live trying to beat world records on who can carve, light and waste the most pumpkins.

I know they have good intentions but it is all wrong. This trend should shift to sending these pumpkins to countries with the worst hunger problems and then the humble pumpkin would become a symbol of hope not hell.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:26 am
Tai Chi wrote:
Just got a compliment on our jack-o-lantern.

"I like your pumpkin. It's very abstract," says this tiny little fairy.

I just said "Thanks" instead of telling her that when I asked my son to carve the scariest thing he could think of, he cut out the silhouette of an oil refinery.

My pumpkin reply was not directed at you. There is a big difference between a single pumpkin on the porch and thousands of them in the park.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
RexRed wrote:
Besides the fear factor of Halloween I think the thing that stands out in my mind as the the worst part of Halloween is the waste of pumpkins.

I was taught NEVER to waste food. I think of all of the starving people and children in the world that could live on a single pumpkin for a week and it sickens me. People are in the local park near where I live trying to beat world records on who can carve, light and waste the most pumpkins.

I know they have good intentions but it is all wrong. This trend should shift to sending these pumpkins to countries with the worst hunger problems and then the humble pumpkin would become a symbol of hope not hell.

I wonder if some displays use the pumpkins for something afterwards. I know in RI, they have a display with many pumpkins and I can't imagine they don't make use of them afterwards - seeing this is a zoo - any similar type thing they always reuse. I know they collect Christmas trees after the Christmas season to use for example.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:48 pm
Linkat wrote:
RexRed wrote:

I wonder if some displays use the pumpkins for something afterwards. I know in RI, they have a display with many pumpkins and I can't imagine they don't make use of them afterwards - seeing this is a zoo - any similar type thing they always reuse. I know they collect Christmas trees after the Christmas season to use for example.

Maybe they do recycle them it is just the way my mind works in seeing all the wasted food. Then you see them smashed here and there in the city over the roads and the flagrant disregard for food and keeping the city clean.

We never made pumpkin pies out of the caved pumpkin of halloween in our family but we did take thes seeds out of the pumpkin and my mother used to bake them and the seeds were quite edible.

I had an aversion to squash as a child but I have since grown to like it very much.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:50 pm
RexRed wrote:
We never made pumpkin pies out of the caved pumpkin of halloween in our family but we did take thes seeds out of the pumpkin and my mother used to bake them and the seeds were quite edible.

We used to roast and salt the seeds too. That was part of the fun. We didn't cook the pumpkin because of the soot inside from the candle. We did compost it though.
0 Replies