UN Security council imposes sanctions on North Korea

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 02:55 pm
(Oct. 14) - The U.N. Security Council adopted a resolution unanimously Saturday against North Korea over its claimed nuclear test, expressing "the gravest concern" and calling for all U.N. members to take wide-ranging economic and diplomatic sanctions

Will sanctions against North Korea work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,454 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 03:09 pm
My gorsh, au. We were concerned about you, buddy. Glad you are back.

Frankly, I don't think sanctions will work; I think things will just become worse.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 03:15 pm
Thanks for your concern. I just thought it was time to take a summer break.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 02:50 am
Dictators like Kim Jong Il have a fixed income. Sanctions will not affect the temperature of his jacuzzi.

The sanctions will further depress the quality of life of North Koreans. They will be told by the government that the US/UN are responsible for their hardships.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 03:06 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Dictators like Kim Jong Il have a fixed income. Sanctions will not affect the temperature of his jacuzzi.

The sanctions will further depress the quality of life of North Koreans. They will be told by the government that the US/UN are responsible for their hardships.

Spot on. I heard our foreign minister commenting about how hard things like this are. He commented on the fact that you end up starving the ordinary people, without having any effect on the government.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 03:07 am
Just waiting now for some far right arsehole to call for them to be nuked. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 04:27 am
You mean something along these lines?

cjhsa wrote:
What we have here at A2K is a bunch of folks unwilling to accept any military strategy or anything to do with guns and killing as acceptable.

Screw that. If 9/11 and other atrocities didn't change your mind then nothing will. Please, move to the middle east or north Korea, the nukes are coming.

Shocked
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:09 am
Sanctions, if strong enough, might work, but are these particular sanctions strong enough?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:51 am
lezzles wrote:
You mean something along these lines?

cjhsa wrote:
What we have here at A2K is a bunch of folks unwilling to accept any military strategy or anything to do with guns and killing as acceptable.

Screw that. If 9/11 and other atrocities didn't change your mind then nothing will. Please, move to the middle east or north Korea, the nukes are coming.

Shocked

If his ilk had their way, the whole world would die under a nuclear winter. It might still anyway, if NK decide to use theirs, prompting retaliation in kind.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 09:39 am
cjhsa wrote:
Quote:

It would appear that as you infer some never learn from events. I must comment that cjhsa seems to have learned nothing from the failed adventure in Iraq.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 05:50 pm
That lot are living in a bubble. They think that Iraq is a SUCCESS Shocked
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:00 pm
People like cjhsa think that if Iraq is less than a resounding success, it's only because we didn't use nukes right at the outset. With an electorate like that, is it any wonder we get the 'leadership' we have?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:06 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
People like cjhsa think that if Iraq is less than a resounding success, it's only because we didn't use nukes right at the outset. With an electorate like that, is it any wonder we get the 'leadership' we have?

Well, to be fair, you barely got him.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:44 pm
au1929 wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Quote:

It would appear that as you infer some never learn from events. I must comment that cjhsa seems to have learned nothing from the failed adventure in Iraq.

President Bush invaded Iraq, because after years of diplomacy, he felt, and many people felt, that the probability that Saddam Hussein was continuing to develop WMD secretly posed an unacceptable possibility of a madman with doomsday weapons, each of which could kill half a million people. Your reference to it as an adventure is simply a mischaracterization, paricularly in comparison to the motives behind many wars historically, i.e. the possibility of some gain. The prospect of a madman with nukes or bioweapons is something that only an absolute fool would take lightly. You can impugn the president's motives if it amuses you, but, as he stated over and over, his motive was fear for the safety of American citizens.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:05 pm
And you're a naive fool for believing that garbage. The shrub always intended to invade Iraq. WMD's had nothing to do with it, as is evidenced by the fact that they are never mentioned now. Once it became clear that there were none, it suddenly morphed into the 'war on terror'.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:22 pm
I dunno. After Iraq, not to mention various incursions into South America, if I were a small country that America didn't like I would consider nukes as fast and as secretly as possible.

This when I wish nobody had the damn things, and I think it quite terrifying, in practice, that North Korea has, or will soon have, the things...even if it can't send them far.

As to the ACTUAL QUESTION (do we have to re-fight the Iraq issue in every ******* thread?) I do not know if sanctions will work.

In my utter naivete re North Korea, I would guess that the attitude of China would be extremely relevant...if even China still has any influence.

It seems China is perturbed by the chances of a nuclear NK. However, the leadership of NK seem unperturbed by the sufferings of their unfortunate populace, and, unlike South Africa, which still wanted to to maintain ties with the outside world, this does not seem an influence in NK.

I do wonder if there are people in the military in NK who may be driven to stage a coup if the costs of the policies of their loony leader become too great?

What do people who know something about the country think?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:40 pm
dlowan wrote:

In my utter naivete re North Korea, I would guess that the attitude of China would be extremely relevant...if even China still has any influence.

It seems China is perturbed by the chances of a nuclear NK. However, the leadership of NK seem unperturbed by the sufferings of their unfortunate populace, and, unlike South Africa, which still wanted to to maintain ties with the outside world, this does not seem an influence in NK.

I do wonder if there are people in the military in NK who may be driven to stage a coup if the costs of the policies of their loony leader become too great?

What do people who know something about the country think?

China's problem with NKorea is twofold, as I've pointed out before. On the one hand, it doesn't want the PDRK to have nukes and it's mightily chagrined at Pres. Kim. On the other hand, it can't wholeheartedly support the UN sanctions because the North Korean people are largely dependent on China for even minimal creature comforts (e.g. food) and the last thing China wants to see is for the PDRK to collapse. If it did, the flow of refugees into China would become nightmarish.

Your suggestion that the military might be considering a coup is intriguing, dlowan, but I see no evidence of such a possibility. Beloved Leader is as much in control of the military as of everything else. Any general or other high-ranking officer who had the temerity to be contemplating such a plan would have been executed immediately on mere suspicion. His comrades would have betrayed him because they want to be on Kim's good side. The situation was quite similar in Iraq under Saddam Hussein.

The sanctions won't work for the simple reason that they are unenforceable, given the sizeable border that the DPRK has with China. What China does to stifle Kim Jong-Il's ambitions in the coming months is crucial -- whether it's the stick or the carrot approach.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 03:21 am
ie. the outlook is bad, no matter who you agree with.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 06:10 am
wilso

The operation in Iraq has been a resounding success.

FOR THE TERRORISTS
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 07:34 am
How did I get to be part of this thread? You chicken-chimps might want to let me know the next time you decide to quote me.
0 Replies