NOT_SO_INTELLIGENT DESIGN, A Tally

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:54 am
U TEXAS BIOSPELEOLOGY CREEPIES PAGE

Heres a page with all the cave critters that U Texas has catalogued, for your enjoyment. Look at the Texas blind salamander, its definately a "sprinter"' rather than a dragger. The cave cricket I was talking about is a different family from the ground dwelling cricket. They are called "Camel Crickets' but you can see the antennae for sensing.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:21 am
Certainly there's a lot of discussion about metabolic expense as an impediment to increasing complexity and size. But yer right, ros, I don't think I've heard a lot about it moving in the other direction.

Except in parasites. In flukes, for example, the early life stages are basically just a ball of loosely differentiated cells. The adults aren't all that much more complex. The thought is that time is the greatest limiting factor for the early (cercarial and metacercarial) stages of the fluke: when the rains come or you happen to fall in standing water, you've got to move through morphological stages as fast as you can to get into a snail. There's no point in growing big, metabolically expensive apparatus, because by the time you do all of the snails will already be occupied by other baby flukes (high levels of infestation are not tolerated) or the rains will have dried up.

Okay, not the best example, but I'm not going to get rid of all that typing. Parasites in general tend to have much-reduced morphologies and genomes as compared to their free-living relatives, and the prevailing assumption is that the reduced models expend less energy on growth and so can expend more energy on reproduction -- which, biologically speaking, is what it's all about.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:41 pm
Anaphylactic shock. Anyone mentioned that yet?

It's nice to have an immune system that responds to being bitten by a bee...but is God some kinda sick drama queen or what?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:14 pm
A lot of "not so intellegent design" features didnt count on our ability to cure diseases that would have made us tiger bait in the Pleistocene. Like the increasing occurence of myopia.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:03 pm
I wonder why he designed a being with the ability to split an atom? What was he thinkin' ??
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:49 am
Eorl wrote:
I wonder why he designed a being with the ability to split an atom? What was he thinkin' ??

God works in mysterious ways (ya gotta love that answer, it covers everything, and basically translates to: "God is smarter than we are, he has his reasons, we'll never understand them, so don't even bother asking" .... and by the way, please put $10 into the collection plate.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:15 am
We've all heard that ros.

Thousands of times.

You have used it before.

You are dead scared of the thought of being led by the nose by your betters aren't you. It might have been that you were traumatised by finding that there was no Father Christmas or that something else you had previously believed, being brought by a stork say, was a load of bullshit and they were jolly well not going to pull the wool over your eyes no more not ever. It could be, of course, that you are gifted with a piercing intelligence but I'm here to tell you that it will never pierce this irreducible complexity problem whilever you have a hole in your waste disposal feature of such stunning evolutionary perfection.

Hence rhetorical competitions for the attention of the public and-yes- a contribution for those supplying a self-evident need and -yes- a please. If one has nothing the Church expects nothing and still welcomes you. The Real Church I mean. And provides other more secular services.

No everybody wishes to live by bread alone.

I know the feeling. I found women are not like they are in the adverts and I had thought they were. Wasn't I a silly billy.

It was good fun really. You take it too seriously.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:35 am
spendi
Quote:
I know the feeling. I found women are not like they are in the adverts and I had thought they were. Wasn't I a silly billy.

Most of us dont use the "personals" spendi so i guess we are unemcumbered with your world-view on that subject.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:05 am
I have often wondered who does use them. They are certainly a growth industry and that's for sure.

The psychologists reckon that those in denial are the obvious suspects.

But I used "adverts" in the widest sense. Ironically. Twas a little joke. The Anne of Green Gables type of thing which Cary Grant, WC Fields and a few others have worked so tirelessly to contradict. Make-up and fashion were included.

Nobody better than Laurel and Hardy who pulled few punches. Why did you pick out the narrower interpretation when all it does is flag up your awareness of them?

Anyway- the subject was why are anti-IDers so determined to never be caught having been had on a bit that they wish to take away from others the luxury of it. Most of them know anyway which is the reason for the grand ceremonial and the incense and the after service chat on the lawns where the contracts are stitched up and sons and daughters traded.

Stick to the topic. Faults in ID isn't it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:09 am
spendius wrote:
We've all heard that ros.

Of course you have. That was the point.
spendius wrote:
Thousands of times.

Duh.
spendius wrote:
You have used it before.

No I haven't.
spendius wrote:
You are dead scared of the thought of being led by the nose by your betters aren't you. It might have been that you were traumatised by finding that there was no Father Christmas or that something else you had previously believed, being brought by a stork say, was a load of bullshit and they were jolly well not going to pull the wool over your eyes no more not ever. It could be, of course, that you are gifted with a piercing intelligence but I'm here to tell you that it will never pierce this irreducible complexity problem whilever you have a hole in your waste disposal feature of such stunning evolutionary perfection.

Where the hell did that come from? Did your medication run out?
spendius wrote:
Hence rhetorical competitions for the attention of the public and-yes- a contribution for those supplying a self-evident need and -yes- a please. If one has nothing the Church expects nothing and still welcomes you. The Real Church I mean. And provides other more secular services.

No everybody wishes to live by bread alone.

Pull yourself together Spendi. Have a nice long talk with your imaginary girlfriend and I'm sure you'll feel better.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:12 am
Yeh, just whip out your credit card and your girl is there for you.

ROS STARTED IT!! YELL AT HIM FOR THE CHEAP SHOTS!!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:25 am
I haven't got a credit card.

Do they not take cash?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:33 am
spendius wrote:

Ah ha, that explains a lot.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:39 am
fm wrote-

Quote:

ros is of no account. You are a big-shot in education as I understand it. You're worth a bit of trouble. You have influence.

He just asserted that I'm on medication and have an imaginary girlfriend.

Bliss such as those two I have been denied. If I was on medication I wouldn't run out.

ros has just granted me permission to **** all over him unless he's claiming a one-way **** sprayer and if he is it's likely he's like that the rest of the time. Which is not the route to happiness.

It's when the argument itself does the spraying that counts.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:46 am
ros wrote-

Quote:
spendius wrote:

Not to me. What do I want a credit card for. The bank owes me a sodding fortune. I presume they lend it out to people who have credit cards.

If I thought a credit card was any use to me I would get one straight away. I've never had one. What joys have I missed ros? Am I being deprived of something.

Explain something, a bit even, of this "lot" of your's. Even a possible would be better than the bald assertion.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:59 am
spendius wrote:
fm wrote-

Quote:

ros is of no account. You are a big-shot in education as I understand it. You're worth a bit of trouble. You have influence.

He just asserted that I'm on medication and have an imaginary girlfriend.

In all fairness, you're the one who launched into this, without provocation. What did you expect?
Quote:
spendius wrote:

Where the hell did that come from? Did your medication run out?

If ya can't stand the heat...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:03 am
spendius wrote:
ros wrote-

Quote:
spendius wrote:

Not to me. What do I want a credit card for. The bank owes me a sodding fortune. I presume they lend it out to people who have credit cards.

If I thought a credit card was any use to me I would get one straight away. I've never had one. What joys have I missed ros? Am I being deprived of something.

Explain something, a bit even, of this "lot" of your's. Even a possible would be better than the bald assertion.

It was a joke. I'm sorry if you don't understand it, but you don't understand a lot of things, and your online personality is so distasteful that I don't really feel like explaining it to you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:50 am
Well ros- the NCOs in Full Metal Jacket were not to everybody's taste. And I've had a belly full of that sort of thing.

You can kill people with kindness.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 02:46 pm
An interesting article.Not sure if it relates or not, but there it is anyway.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:10 pm
ros directed us to-

Quote:
And the only way they could have provided that gift would have been by interbreeding, the team at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the University of Chicago said.

Obviously there are a good few cute doxies at the U of C. Or vice versa. Even an uppity feminist wouldn't decline a gift such as has been suggested here.

Although such teams are difficult to imagine as having "said" anything. Sounds a bit too Jungian for my taste. The Collective Assertion.
0 Replies