Favorite Arboretums and Botanical Gardens

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 10:56 pm
ehBeth, I think I ran across Mt. Pleasant Cemetary on my recent run through on Mt. Auburn....these cemetaries were more than they seem to be to us, in that they were among the first parks.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 01:09 am
I know about quite some interesting Arboretums and Botanical Gardens here in Germany.

But I'm not that sure about the general interest. And mostly, their sites (if they are online!), show only few pics and are in "foreing tongues".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:00 am
Well, nobodys mentioned the two premier arboreta of the US, namely Longwood Gardens , west of Philadelphia(1500 acres of evry kind of tree and plant arranged in forests , swamps, high deserts etc) and the National Arboretum off NY Avenue in DC. Both take multi days to take in.
Longwood has some neat programs for summer attractions.
1They have a Gilbert and Sullivan Festival wherein you can see some of the best interpretations by the Savoy Company and you can also get coached on some of the great G/S lines for use in cocktail banter and typical yupster "oneuppity talk"

2They show really neat fireworks at Longwood and nearby HAgley Gardens and Museum. The fireworks are choreographed to music and are mixed in with fountain displays, also choreographed to music. Last year they did an all HAndel ( not a great challenge) but still very impressive.

3 There are huge research facilities at Longwood and the Nat Arboretum. So if your a budding arborist, you can get tips , help, directions, criticism, and pity from really savvy people. Longwood and Winterthur are combined as a conservation, art prep, arbo-sciences, etc graduate school under the programs of the University of Delaware. They offer advanced degree programs in all sorts of arcane plantology and art and antique conservation and restoration.

I dont know anything else about these places except the websites

and unfortunately Ive used the quick reply so I dont think these will show up as a hot link, Well here goes anyway.

http://www.longwoodgardens.org

http://www.usna.usda.gov

WHOA DUDE_IT WORKED (Im easily impressed by gadgets that do things without being told)
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:32 pm
farmerman wrote:
Well, nobodys mentioned the two premier arboreta of the US...

"Arboreta"??

'Arboreta, well could you help me place this call
Cause I can't read the number that you just gave me
There's something in my eyes
You know it happens every time
I think about the love that I thought would save me...' Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:36 pm
<snort> Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:40 pm
chortle (wheeze) chortle,

Well, I ask you, is the plural of an ARBORETUM not ARBORETA ? I take critcism , but not well..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:41 pm
uh oh Shocked
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:01 pm
Anybody with a dictionary? Wink c .i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:24 pm
I didn't look it up in a dictionary, but remembering my Latin lessons ...

Actually, this link says the same: Botanical Gardens and Arboreta
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:28 pm
farmerman wrote:
chortle (wheeze) chortle,

Well, I ask you, is the plural of an ARBORETUM not ARBORETA ? I take critcism , but not well..

farmerman

You are absolutely correct and your post was very interesting.
My response was whimsical only and probably illustrative of the way my mind works (ie. loose associations). I am also addicted to word-play and especially homophones* eg. lessen/lesson, heroin/heroine, etc.

Incidentally I would love to see a 'budding arborist'....... That must be someone who REALLY 'gets into' his work!

*No, gays don't have special communicating devices, although I suspect some paranoids probably THINK they do.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:43 pm
gardens
farmerman: i agree that longwood gardens is one of the most beautiful ones in eastern u.s. - there are several other beautiful gardens in the wilmington, delaware area. another beautiful garden that we have visited frequently is brookgreen gardens(just south of myrtle beach) - but i guess it is mainly known for its large collection of sculptures in a garden setting. when we go to myrtle beach in march (coming from the coooold of eastern canada) we always get our first fix of spring there. royal botanical gardens in hamilton, ontario is another beauty. i would also say that the niagara river parkway - strictly speaking not a garden - is a wonderful and colourful site to visit from late spring to early fall. hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:56 pm
Ok, ok, when I started this topic I had to force myself to say arboretums since I took Latin long ago and knew that arboreta was the likely plural. I looked it up and my dictionary said either is ok. I thought more people might answer if I said arboretums....heh, heh.

Walter, I am interested in places everywhere all the time. No borders for moi.

Many of these places specialize in presenting areas of exotic plants from around the world. Some specialize in plants native to the immediate area.
One I used to like in Claremont, California, was called Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden.
Back with a link.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:06 pm
Well, the Rancho Santa Ana botanic garden links are a little dreary, photo wise.
Even I had better ones, but I gave them to my school program's library.
Here is the most interesting link on it I ran across - http://www.wemweb.com/traveler/towns/24clarem/24places/botanic.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:39 am
One of my favourite arboreta is the one of Berlin Free University (not only, because the website is rather informative in English as well!)
Arboretum Berlin-Dahlem

A really nearly complete list of all (online) important arboreta is to be found here:
Gardens & Collections Directory - ARBORETA
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:18 am
The Eden Project in Cornwall

http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/attractions/eden/edenproject.htm

sadly I haven't been yet but friends and family who have been raved about it.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:41 am
SMOOTH Arboreta

------------

"...No need to ask.
He's a smooth arboreta ,
smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta.

Coast to coast, LA to Chicago, western male.
Across the north and south, to Key Largo, love for sale.

Face to face, each classic case.
We shadow box and double cross,
Yet need the chase.

A license to love, insurance to hold.
Melts all your memories and change into gold.
His eyes are like angels but his heart is cold.

No need to ask.
He's a smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta.

Coast to coast, LA to Chicago, western male.
Across the north and south, to Key Largo, love for sale.

smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta,
smooth arboreta..."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:40 am
OH GREAT__NOW thanks to jjorge I got that stupid ass song crammed in my head and it wont leave.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:50 am
<snort>
<honk>

i'm starting to (ok, i always did) see farmerman's sensitive side

<giggle>

i never realized you had such a delicate ear :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:23 am
<g>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:39 am
Smooth arboreta, smooth arboreta, and thus I'll go to work where this'll crop up all day.
0 Replies