garden walls

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:19 am
I have a small front yard. I'd like to build a small brick retaining wall (only several bricks high). I know it will require a footing. My problem is the footing will mean cutting tree roots which I do not want to do. Can you suggest an alternative wall which is esthetic and practical? Metal? Wood? Anything at all as an altenative wall? Remember the wall has to be sturdy enough to hold in dirt. Railroad ties?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,461 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:25 am
@kornhiser,
Do you want to add soil behind the wall after it is built? That can be a very poor idea for the tree roots.

If it is just one big root you are worried about, you can "bridge" that root.
If it is a lot of roots, it sounds like an unwise place to build a wall... in which case, how about a short fence?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:47 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Do you want to add soil behind the wall after it is built? That can be a very poor idea for the tree roots.

If it is just one big root you are worried about, you can "bridge" that root.
If it is a lot of roots, it sounds like an unwise place to build a wall... in which case, how about a short fence?
a wall which elevates the soil surrounding a tree will most often kill the tree.
0 Replies