Gardening - Helping Plants Recover From Freeze Damage

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 04:22 pm
I've never lived in a region that has had sustained freezing temperatures like we've had this winter in Albuquerque.

For those of you that have such experience, what is your advice for all the freeze-damaged plants around our house this Spring? Should they be given the usual Spring feeding formula of fertilizer to aid their recovery? Should specific nutrients be boosted/reduced while the plants try to recover? Should I prune them back and hope they'll recover, or leave them alone to see if they show signs of recovery, or admit they're gone and replace them?

I'm referring to such plants as climbing roses, hybrid roses, junipers, nandina shrubs, pomegranate shrub, strawberry plants, butterfly bushes, dwarf crape myrtle, Russian sage, lavenders, hollyhocks, hydrangea vine, and a few others I can't recall the names of at the moment. (We've had a lot of freeze damage.)

Also, if I have to just replace some of them, I'm thinking I should select plants with a wider range of USDA Hardiness zone. Do you think something with a growing range of zone 6 to zone 8 would suffice to accommodate the ever changing moods of ABQ's arid weather and high winds or should I expand it even further?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,268 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 04:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
strawberry plants, butterfly bushes, and holly hocks will be fine.

trim the brown stuff and go...
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 04:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
None of these will be killed due to freezing temps. Watch out for severe spring winds, though. That burns buds.

These are all zone 5's:

climbing roses, hybrid roses - prune when forsythia blooms

junipers - don't worry, take off brown stuff,

strawberry plants - don't worry

butterfly bushes - prune in spring,

dwarf crape myrtle - will be OK,

Russian sage - perennial - look for new growth
lavenders - prune 1/3 in spring
hollyhocks - perennial
hydrangea vine - will be OK.

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thanks for the detailed info.

And thanks to Rocky too.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:40 pm
Every plant differs a little. B-net, it might be more useful for you to ask about specific plants.
0 Replies