a place in the Koran that is specifically anti-murder?

dov1953

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Laughing Isn't there a place in the Koran that is specifically anti-violence and murder? I mean something like the commandment that says, "thou shalt not kill". I'm hardly pro-Christian but you've got to admit it's clear cut. The commandant doesn't say, "Thou shalt not kill except for Communists and Islamic believers", but that's another discussion. I ask this because I wonder why the Muslim clerics aren't thumping their Koran's and condemning the killings. They may be doing so and the American media is just not covering it. That is possible. Generally I would like to be more familiar with the Koran.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,214 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Terry

I don't have access to a Qu'ran right now, bt I do know that the Bible does not contain any prohibition aganst killing. Along with the commandment against murder, Moses was given laws that required people to be stoned to death for sexual offenses, witchcraft, and heresy. And soon after issuing the commandments, God ordered the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of men, women and children in a masive campaign of genocide so that the Israelites could take over their Promised Land.
0 Replies

Monger

This site has 3 English translations of the Quran. . .
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

Murder, suicide, euthanasia, and abortion are all forbidden in Islam. By the way, the word Islam means "peace" in Arabic. The Quran and Muhammed's Sayings (Sunnah) are the only two main references for Muslims. One of these might be what you're looking for, dov:

"Do not kill or take human life which God has declared to be sacred." (al-Anaam: 151)

"Do not kill your children for fear of poverty: it is We who shall provide sustenance for them as well as you. Killing them is certainly a great sin." (al-Isra: 31)

"Whoever kills another person, unless it be for murder or corruption in the earth, it is as if he had murdered all mankind. And whoever saves the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. Our Messengers came to them with Clear Signs but even after that many of them committed outrages in the earth." (Surat al-Ma'ida: 32)

You who believe! Enter absolutely into peace (Islam). Do not follow in the footsteps of Satan. He is an outright enemy to you. (al-Baqara: 208)
0 Replies

Setanta

You might go on-line for a copy of the text of theQuran . . . but beware, most of the URL's you will get will take you to Christian sponsored sites . . . some Muslim clerics have condemned fundamentalist killers--and yes, there's not copy in it for the western press, so it is not much referred to. However, consider both that clerics are oppotunists like everyone else, and may play to the house on this issue, and others with a more stringent personal code might have reasonable fears for their own health and saftety if they speak out. Finally, "muslim clerics" is a misleading term. Quadis are students of Islamic theological minutia (sp?) who apply their studies to the sharia, islamic law; mullahs are students of the Quran who counsel the faithful on those texts, Imams are teachers of Islamic belief and the hadith (the sayings and actions of the Prophet and the Companions)--"muslim clerics" do not equate to christian priests or ministers. Within Islam, each man or woman can be considered to be as competent as anyone else about the meaning and nature of their relationship with Allah. An Imam or Mullah only attains ascendancy over others on the strength of the public's perception of their righteousness. Additionally, morality is judged in the Islamic community by the Alim, or Alima--an Ullama is a righteous man, so recognized by his community, and the Alim, or Alima are the aggregate of the righteous men within any particular community. In the face of a united Alima, no particular cleric is going to have much influence if his teaching is in opposition to the beliefe of the Alima.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Awesome answer as usual Monger.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:51 pm
Now that we have seen where it says not to kill, are there passages that permits its followers to kill?

Like the bible I suspect one can selectively pick what passages suits them and use them to justify their beliefs or behavior.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:52 pm
No bout adoubt it, Xingu, that form of flexibilty seems never to have been lacking in any organized religion . . .
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:28 am
I believe Setanta added the perfect caveat.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:02 am
Onward Christian Soldiers
Onward Buddhist priests
Onwards, fruits of Islam
Fight till you're deceased. .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:09 am
Nuke a gay arab whale fer Jesus
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
You might go on-line for a copy of the text of theQuran . . . but beware, most of the URL's you will get will take you to Christian sponsored sites . . . some Muslim clerics have condemned fundamentalist killers--and yes, there's not copy in it for the western press, so it is not much referred to. However, consider both that clerics are oppotunists like everyone else, and may play to the house on this issue, and others with a more stringent personal code might have reasonable fears for their own health and saftety if they speak out. Finally, "muslim clerics" is a misleading term. Quadis are students of Islamic theological minutia (sp?) who apply their studies to the sharia, islamic law; mullahs are students of the Quran who counsel the faithful on those texts, Imams are teachers of Islamic belief and the hadith (the sayings and actions of the Prophet and the Companions)--"muslim clerics" do not equate to christian priests or ministers. Within Islam, each man or woman can be considered to be as competent as anyone else about the meaning and nature of their relationship with Allah. An Imam or Mullah only attains ascendancy over others on the strength of the public's perception of their righteousness. Additionally, morality is judged in the Islamic community by the Alim, or Alima--an Ullama is a righteous man, so recognized by his community, and the Alim, or Alima are the aggregate of the righteous men within any particular community. In the face of a united Alima, no particular cleric is going to have much influence if his teaching is in opposition to the beliefe of the Alima.

Is your knowledge from experience, or from quick study?

And, when I saw Monger's definition of Islam as Peace, I flashed back to a time when I used to hang out with some real live black muslims in DC years ago. They told me that Islam means submission to the will of Allah. and sure enough, when I googled a couple of sites, that's the exact definition I found. It's really a pretty simple thing to find out. But it doesn't mean peace. It means absolute submission to the will of Allah (God).
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 05:58 am
Snood, many Muslims say Islam means submitting to Allah; many say it means peace.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:01 am
It's easy to find web sites that support either definition.

Here are a couple that say it means both. . .
Quote:
http://islam.about.com/blintroa.htm?PM=ss12_islam

What is Islam?
The name of the religion is Islam, which comes from an Arabic root word meaning "peace" and "submission." Islam teaches that one can only find peace in one's life by submitting to Almighty God (Allah) in heart, soul and deed. The same Arabic root word gives us "Salaam alaykum," ("Peace be with you"), the universal Muslim greeting.

Quote:
http://rehmanalone.topcities.com/

1. Definition of Islam
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:36 am
Thanks, Monger. That makes sense.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:07 am
Rolling Eyes Will and Ariel Durant, the famous historians of that voluminous history of the world, who had managed to "liberate" themselves from the more cumbersome aspects of Christianity, said, near the ends of their long lives, that the only real impact that Christianity has had on western civilization has been it's restraining influence. I almost agree. There are other considerable dribs and drabs but generally I am in sympathy with their views except for the one explanation they applied to every declining civilization; that it was because it was of moral degeneracy. Anyway, I suspect that that is probably true with Islam (the restraining influence). If it has no more or less clear prohibition against violence and murder, then it will not have that restraining influence. Perhaps the prohibitions that it does have are not sufficiently revered or accentuated to order to have that restraining influence. Early Islam does not seem to have been restrained, but I must admit that I learned that in 4th grade in a Catholic school. If I remember correctly, Islam spread like fire within a decade or two, and call me cynical but I don't think that was because of it's overpowering spiritual message. As for a decent copy of the Koran, I have downloaded a fantastic, wonderful, beautiful version (without advertising or commentary). I don't have the URL on me so if anyone wants me to give it to them, email me at [email protected] and I'll send it right away. The copy even has music which I'm assuming is authentic in some way. Ciao, Dov Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:11 am
Monger wrote:
This site has 3 English translations of the Quran. . .
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

Murder, suicide, euthanasia, and abortion are all forbidden in Islam.

Where is the prohibition against abortion?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 01:04 pm
Monger wrote:
the word Islam means "peace" in Arabic

Sorry, but the word Islam means "Submission to God", peace will be Salaam. Source: http://www.bartleby.com/65/is/Islam.html
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:45 pm
Alright
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:14 pm
Yeah - peace, already.
0 Replies

Mamahani

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:57 am
5:33, The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter; [Anyone who disbeliefs in Islam and speaks against it is considered to be waging war against Allah and his messenger]

http://www.faithfreedom.org/gallery.htm

Need I say more?
0 Replies