Is mind a spiritual (non-material) entity?

coberst

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:29 am
Is mind a spiritual (non-material) entity?

Idealism is a label for the philosophical position that rejects realism. Realism is the view that the world is only matter and that objects are independent of mind and can be known as they really are. Idealism stresses the spiritual (other worldly) characteristic of mind, which is different in kind from body.

Idealism has many definitions but all focus on the assumption that consciousness is detached from its concrete socially situated subjects. Such an assumption leads to the isolation of ideas from the concrete body. Theories, beliefs, human conduct and other products can be understood and analyzed in isolation from the historical subject. A giant unbridgeable gap develops between mind and body.

Idealism holds the twin principles nature or matter on one hand and spirit, God, ego, etc. on the other. Man and woman are creatures harboring two distinctly different realities within one structure. We are bipartite beings. Thought, especially theoretical thought is a substance of the spirit thus intellectual, moral, artistic and such are activities of the spirit.

Consciousness is the property of the spirit and because spirit transcends the world of matter then philosophers surmise consciousness is autonomous and independent, governed by non-material principles.

This tradition of an autonomous reason began long before evolutionary theory and has held strongly since then without consideration, it seems to me, of the theories of Darwin and of biological science. Cognitive science has in the last three decades developed considerable empirical evidence supporting Darwin and not supporting the traditional theories of philosophy and psychology regarding the autonomy of reason. Cognitive science has focused a great deal of empirical science toward discovering the nature of the embodied mind.

The three major findings of cognitive science are:
The mind is inherently embodied.
Thought is mostly unconscious.
Abstract concepts are largely metaphorical.

These findings of cognitive science are profoundly disquieting for traditional thinking in two respects. "First, they tell us that human reason is a form of animal reason, a reason inextricably tied to our bodies and the peculiarities of our brains. Second, these results tell us that our bodies, brains, and interactions with our environment provide the mostly unconscious basis for our everyday metaphysics, that is, our sense of what is real."

I hold the view that there is no body/mind dichotomy (division into two mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities). It seems to me that one must be an idealist to believe that a person has a soul. Do you have a different view and does that view agree with Darwin's view of natural selection?

Quotes from "Philosophy in the Flesh".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 804 • Replies: 14
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:38 am
Re: Is mind a spiritual (non-material) entity?
Coberst - I hope you don't think I'm following you around - but you seem to post a lot of topics on subjects that I find interesting (as I browse through the at a glance option).

Quote:
Idealism has many definitions but all focus on the assumption that consciousness is detached from its concrete socially situated subjects. Such an assumption leads to the isolation of ideas from the concrete body. Theories, beliefs, human conduct and other products can be understood and analyzed in isolation from the historical subject. A giant unbridgeable gap develops between mind and body.

I've never studied philosophy at any great length, formally or informally - so I didn't know the formal definitions of idealism and realism- but I'm surprised that they are each so independent of each other. They each would seem to be incomplete without the other- neither seems to offer an encompassing option (to me anyway). But I have some questions:
1)If someone is an idealist - how do they explain the effect on thought, belief, conduct, intellect, etc. when someone suffers damage to the brain? That is - if all of those things are separate from the physical entity - how can damage to that entity in one form or another have such a devastating effect on them?

Quote:
Consciousness is the property of the spirit and because spirit transcends the world of matter then philosophers surmise consciousness is autonomous and independent, governed by non-material principles.

Not to be too literal - but consciousness is directly dependent on physiological (thus material) principles - isn't it? I don't think one's subconsciousness is to the same degree - but definitely consciousness seems to be. You can't become conscious of something unless you can sense it in some way - and you must have the physical means (a body with at least partially working sensory organs) in order to do that.

Quote:
This tradition of an autonomous reason began long before evolutionary theory and has held strongly since then without consideration, it seems to me, of the theories of Darwin and of biological science. Cognitive science has in the last three decades developed considerable empirical evidence supporting Darwin and not supporting the traditional theories of philosophy and psychology regarding the autonomy of reason. Cognitive science has focused a great deal of empirical science toward discovering the nature of the embodied mind.

The three major findings of cognitive science are:
The mind is inherently embodied.
Thought is mostly unconscious.
Abstract concepts are largely metaphorical.

These findings of cognitive science are profoundly disquieting for traditional thinking in two respects. "First, they tell us that human reason is a form of animal reason, a reason inextricably tied to our bodies and the peculiarities of our brains. Second, these results tell us that our bodies, brains, and interactions with our environment provide the mostly unconscious basis for our everyday metaphysics, that is, our sense of what is real."

Just from a lay-woman's point of view - this seems to make the most sense to me. It seems to me to be a good mix or meeting of the best parts of idealism with the best parts of realism.

Quote:
I hold the view that there is no body/mind dichotomy (division into two mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities).

I agree.
Quote:
It seems to me that one must be an idealist to believe that a person has a soul.

I disagree. If there's no body/mind dichotomy - can't someone be a follower of cognitive theory - as opposed to idealism - and still see evidence for the existence of a soul? When you learn from your experiences with the world around you - you develop strategies with which you then relate to or interpret that input, stimulus, data - whatever you want to call it. One of these is intuition (which is entirely separate from instinct, in my opinon). I think individual interpretation and resulting individualistic intuition is evidence of a unique soul (or consciousness) within each person- or physical body.

Quote:
Do you have a different view and does that view agree with Darwin's view of natural selection?
I think the view above is in agreement with Darwin's view of natural selection. Those who have the most accurate sense of intuition are the ones who not only survive, but thrive.

Just out of curiousity - where does personality fit in with all of this?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 01:18 pm
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 01:43 pm
Aidan, I hope you don't think I'm following YOU around, but Coberst does concoct the most interesting threads.
I havn't read the statements yet--later--but I must say that I consider all dualistic debates--mentalism vs. positivism, mind vs. brain, idealism vs. materialism, absolutism vs. relativism, subjectivism vs. objectivism. etc., etc.--to be founded on false dichtomies. All yings require for their very existence their yangs and vice versa. Dualism is epistemologically useful albeit ontologically delusional.
As the old retort goes, "No matter, never mind".
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 01:47 pm
Coberst - I subscribe to the Atlantic - and I do remember reading that article and finding it really interesting. I'll have to look at it again though -because I don't remember reading and I can't comprehend how psychologists doing research on the minds of infants could have discovered that "human beings come into the world with a predisposition to believe in supernatural phenomena". That just doesn't seem to be something I can imagine is identifiable or measureable in an infant.

And in order for it to be "cognitive functioning gone awry", it would seem that it would have:
a)needed to have been measured at some point as not having been there and
b)have been proved to be some kind of mutation that inhibited or changed cognitive functioning in a negative sense- so again what baseline do they have that they are measuring the change against?

"We see the world of objects as separate from the world of minds, allowing us to envision souls and an afterlife; and our system of social understanding infers goals and desires, where none exist, making us animists and creationists."
At what point in human history have goals and desires not existed? Goals and desires seem to have always been part of the human condition - an impetus for the survival of the species, as a matter of fact.

I'll have to read it again. I am really interested in cognition - so thanks for the reference to the book.
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 04:05 pm
The mind is a spiritual entity. It is located in the pineal gland, near the forehead, but a bit further between the eyes. Nicknamed the "Third Eye".

Once you "open" your Third Eye, the world will completely change for you.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:18 pm
Bawb - are you being serious or silly? I'd really love some specific answers sometime. I don't really sit around thinking about these things, but when they're brought up - it raises interesting questions.

Honestly - I think the only accurate answer is probably - "Noone really knows." So few people are capable of admitting that though.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:39 pm
JL - I missed your response before. Sorry about that - because I found it helpful when I did finally read it.
Quote:
I havn't read the statements yet--later--but I must say that I consider all dualistic debates--mentalism vs. positivism, mind vs. brain, idealism vs. materialism, absolutism vs. relativism, subjectivism vs. objectivism. etc., etc.--to be founded on false dichtomies. All yings require for their very existence their yangs and vice versa.

Yes - exactly. That's why idealism or realism taken on their own each seem so incomplete and easy to find theoretical holes in.
Quote:
Dualism is epistemologically useful albeit ontologically delusional.
Now you're being like Spendius - in that I'll have to use a dictionary to figure out what you mean. Laughing (I don't know what "ontologically" means- that's okay though, I like expanding my vocabulary. Okay - so you mean useful for study - but not realistically valid or valid in the "real" world- right?).
Quote:
As the old retort goes, "No matter, never mind".

Exactly the conclusion I came to - except- that so many of these theories are bandied around and presented almost as fact. And as Coberst pointed out in another topic - a lot of people don't think critically enough to question their veracity. And I think that can lead to a lot of assumptions and wrong conclusions.

*As for following me around-I don't feel that way at all. I'm always interested to read your take on this stuff- and you actually answer questions directly - which is a nice change of pace. Didn't you teach Sociology at some point? It's like having a professor of a subject I'm really interested in on the forum- so I'm happy when you show up and I get to read what you think. I've always enjoyed studying sociology.
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 04:06 pm
aidan wrote:
Bawb - are you being serious or silly? I'd really love some specific answers sometime. I don't really sit around thinking about these things, but when they're brought up - it raises interesting questions.

Honestly - I think the only accurate answer is probably - "Noone really knows." So few people are capable of admitting that though.

I'm totally serious, and I'll sound like a lunatic trying to explain it ( not good at explaining ), but I'll try anyway. Smile

Our mind is a lot more powerful than the normal person would believe. The school slogans that said "Imagination will open a whole new world for you." were all true. I doubt they were talking about it in the sense that I am, but that's not the point..

All these almost-paranormal things people hear about. Such as clairvoyance, astral projection, moving objects with only the mind, etc... They are all true, but to do this you have to have your Third Eye open.

Third Eye is just an expression for your minds non-physical abilitys/brow chakra/whatever you want to call it. A normal person uses his mind only for his physical body, that's all it knows how to do. It is basically in a dormant state. You can think, but you can't DO anything that is not physical.

As a child, your third eye is basically open, because your imagination is running wild ( imagination is very important ), but as you get older and more accustomed to thinking that science knows all, that magic isn't real, that we know "everything" their is to know about our bodys, it begins to close..

Have you ever known something was wrong with a person as they approached, even though they show no signs? Have you ever known something was wrong even when talking on the internet to them..when all they said was "hey"? That's your third eye at work Smile.

Please, try this.. If you truly have an open mind about it ( No, I don't mean force yourself to believe it is happening Razz ), it will most likely happen.. If not, then you can try again later if you please.

First, close your eyes, try to clear your mind for a few minutes..thinking about nothing at all. I like to listen to a clock ticking.

Second, start to focus your attention to your pineal gland ( MENTALLY! Their is no physical involvement in this. ), imagine in your mind it coming out of its dormant state. It doesn't matter how you do this, or if you even know what the pineal gland looks like! But you must be imagining it becoming active.

Third, imagine an eye on your forehead, imagine it slowly opening..

Can you feel a soft ( pleasurable, in my opinion ) sensation around your forehead, a bit between your eyes? You should, that's your third eye moving around. It isn't really doing anything, but you can feel the energy up there, now.

If you CAN feel it, then your third eye is capable of doing things such as clairvoyance, astral projection, so on ( with practice of course ).. If it is not, then you should practice that a bit more.

If you have questions about anything at all, you can ask me, or you can go to this website and ask.

www.astralpulse.com

Have fun with it. Cool

( I'm not good at explaining things, I hope this was sufficient. )
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:37 am
Bawb - You should live in Glastonbury. You'd get into it and fit right in. I work part time there in a crystal shop - I call them rocks and stones- and the other woman who works the days opposite me - gets kind of upset at me that I don't take the healing principals of the stones seriously.

I think I'm just too literal minded. I love the stones because I think they're beautiful - but honestly I'm more interested in the facts behind how they're produced within the earth - the geological facts about how cooling slowly and cooling quickly produces different size crystals - the facts about how the different minerals in the earth at different depths produce more vivid colors, etc., than I am in any healing properties they might have.

In terms of the chakra - I think anything you believe that has a calming effect on you is healing in itself. So if you believe in the chakra - and it gives you confidence and peace of mind - it will have a healing effect on you. Same with meditation.

I'm totally open to other people believing in what they want or need to believe to make it through - I just am not able to adopt a lot of these concepts for my own life. I have my own healers - music, laughter, literature, nature, family, friends, etc. And a residual belief in a god who I believe cares for me- and although logically, I have to admit the concept doesn't make sense to me - I can't quite stand to give it up yet. So it's not that I'm not open to other methods of healing or consciousness - it's more that I haven't felt the need to explore other methods as I've found the ones I've been taught sufficient for me.

*In terms of intuiting that people are dangerous, or that there's something wrong with someone immediately - I seldom experience that. It's usually the opposite - I'm way too accepting and trusting in general. But again, I think that's residual from my conditioning as a child, along with my religious upbringing that taught me to view all people as children of God, and actual experience which has been pretty kind to me in general.
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 04:07 pm
aidan wrote:
Bawb - You should live in Glastonbury. You'd get into it and fit right in. I work part time there in a crystal shop - I call them rocks and stones- and the other woman who works the days opposite me - gets kind of upset at me that I don't take the healing principals of the stones seriously.

I bet I would. I've NEVER seen a shop here that sells crystals. Even though I don't believe they have any type of effect on anything, it's still pretty cool. I don't think anything in the physical helps us in the mental.

Quote:
I think I'm just too literal minded. I love the stones because I think they're beautiful - but honestly I'm more interested in the facts behind how they're produced within the earth - the geological facts about how cooling slowly and cooling quickly produces different size crystals - the facts about how the different minerals in the earth at different depths produce more vivid colors, etc., than I am in any healing properties they might have.

Aahh, that is the type of stuff that is boring to me. Wink

Quote:
In terms of the chakra - I think anything you believe that has a calming effect on you is healing in itself. So if you believe in the chakra - and it gives you confidence and peace of mind - it will have a healing effect on you. Same with meditation.

That is true, actually. Theses things build your chakra subconsciously, while you have to learn to release it.

Quote:
I'm totally open to other people believing in what they want or need to believe to make it through - I just am not able to adopt a lot of these concepts for my own life.

That's totally fine.

Quote:
I have my own healers - music, laughter, literature, nature, family, friends, etc. And a residual belief in a god who I believe cares for me-

These are healers for mostly everybody. Smile

Quote:
and although logically, I have to admit the concept doesn't make sense to me - I can't quite stand to give it up yet. So it's not that I'm not open to other methods of healing or consciousness - it's more that I haven't felt the need to explore other methods as I've found the ones I've been taught sufficient for me.

That's fine. Logically, this doesn't make sense. You just have to do it yourself to prove it, nobody else can prove it to you. If you don't feel like exploring it, that's fine. You might someday, you might not.

Quote:
*In terms of intuiting that people are dangerous, or that there's something wrong with someone immediately - I seldom experience that. It's usually the opposite - I'm way too accepting and trusting in general. But again, I think that's residual from my conditioning as a child, along with my religious upbringing that taught me to view all people as children of God, and actual experience which has been pretty kind to me in general.

It's not that you trust a stranger or do something about what you feel, it's just the feeling that something is wrong. When you walk into an old building and your hair stands on end, etc..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 04:17 pm
To believe in minds/consciousness without brains/bodies is similar to believing in ghosts.
This is so even though brains are themselves conscious thoughts.

I think it was the psychologist, Jung, who opined that the body is merely the visibility of the mind; and the mind is the psychological experience of the body. They are really two aspects of the same thing.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:41 pm
Quote:
I bet I would. I've NEVER seen a shop here that sells crystals. Even though I don't believe they have any type of effect on anything, it's still pretty cool.
I think you'd love Glastonbury.
[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/glastonburytor.jpg[/IMG]
This is looking from across the levels - the thing sticking up on that hill way far in the distance is Glastonbury Tor.

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/tor.jpg[/IMG]
Close up - Glastonbury Tor and the ruins of St. Michael's.

These are images of Glastonbury Tor. It's where the last abbot of Glastonbury, who refused to denounce Catholocism and give the riches of his church and abbey to Henry Vlll, was hung and drawn and quartered. He was dragged up the tor (the hill) and executed in St. Michael's church which was built at the top of the tor, as the levels all around it tended to flood. Anyway - his head was displayed outside of the abbey in Glastonbury, and they took each quarter of his body to display at the four corners of the country, so that any other priests deciding not to acquiesce to Henry's edicts could see what would happen to them.

People make pilgrimages there. But most of them aren't Catholic. They're new agers - I once saw a druid wedding ceremony take place up there. That was pretty cool. I received a druid blessing - and this guy just gave me a heart-shaped piece of pink quartz out of the blue "in the spirit of love" he said, "that he could feel permeating the proceedings".
My friend Antony says that "dark forces" emanate from the Tor - because of the violence that happened there - but I always feel free up there- mostly because it's always very windy and on a clear day you can see five counties from the top (counties in England are like states in US)- so it'd be like standing in New Hampshire and seeing into Maine, Vermont, and Massachusettes.

Where do you live that they don't have crystals? They don't even have geode shops? The shop that I worked in had the cornerstone from the bakery of the abbey from the l4th century. It's pretty amazing to see.

Quote:
I don't think anything in the physical helps us in the mental.

How about our brains? Eyes, ears, etc., etc.

Quote:
Aahh, that is the type of stuff that is boring to me. Wink

That's why I figured you might like Glastonbury.

Quote:
It's not that you trust a stranger or do something about what you feel, it's just the feeling that something is wrong. When you walk into an old building and your hair stands on end, etc..

Interesting...now that you mention it, I get that feeling sometimes- especially on the internet. Not that it makes my hair stand on end or anything - just that there's something just a little bit off- like maybe people aren't entirely credible sometimes or something. You know what I mean? It's not a big deal though.

Anyway Bawb - like I said, you should make a pilgrimage to Glastonbury. I think it'd be right up your alley.
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 02:58 pm
aidan wrote:
Quote:
I bet I would. I've NEVER seen a shop here that sells crystals. Even though I don't believe they have any type of effect on anything, it's still pretty cool.
I think you'd love Glastonbury.
[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/glastonburytor.jpg[/IMG]
This is looking from across the levels - the thing sticking up on that hill way far in the distance is Glastonbury Tor.

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/tor.jpg[/IMG]
Close up - Glastonbury Tor and the ruins of St. Michael's.

These are images of Glastonbury Tor. It's where the last abbot of Glastonbury, who refused to denounce Catholocism and give the riches of his church and abbey to Henry Vlll, was hung and drawn and quartered. He was dragged up the tor (the hill) and executed in St. Michael's church which was built at the top of the tor, as the levels all around it tended to flood. Anyway - his head was displayed outside of the abbey in Glastonbury, and they took each quarter of his body to display at the four corners of the country, so that any other priests deciding not to acquiesce to Henry's edicts could see what would happen to them.

People make pilgrimages there. But most of them aren't Catholic. They're new agers - I once saw a druid wedding ceremony take place up there. That was pretty cool. I received a druid blessing - and this guy just gave me a heart-shaped piece of pink quartz out of the blue "in the spirit of love" he said, "that he could feel permeating the proceedings".
My friend Antony says that "dark forces" emanate from the Tor - because of the violence that happened there - but I always feel free up there- mostly because it's always very windy and on a clear day you can see five counties from the top (counties in England are like states in US)- so it'd be like standing in New Hampshire and seeing into Maine, Vermont, and Massachusettes.

Where do you live that they don't have crystals? They don't even have geode shops? The shop that I worked in had the cornerstone from the bakery of the abbey from the l4th century. It's pretty amazing to see.

In Mississippi their are no geode shops. Everyone here is a die-hard Christian. And that's fine with me, but that means no geode shops.Smile

Quote:
How about our brains? Eyes, ears, etc., etc.

Egh I'm sorry, I should have specified.. I meant things like crystals and ancient relics and whatnot.. I don't think they do anything to help the mental.

Quote:
Interesting...now that you mention it, I get that feeling sometimes- especially on the internet. Not that it makes my hair stand on end or anything - just that there's something just a little bit off- like maybe people aren't entirely credible sometimes or something. You know what I mean? It's not a big deal though.

Yea I get that sometimes too. Not with you, of course.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:39 pm
Quote:
In Mississippi their are no geode shops. Everyone here is a die-hard Christian. And that's fine with me, but that means no geode shops.Smile

Mississippi, huh? Yeah, I can imagine- (or maybe I'm just stereotyping). I lived in Chapel Hill, NC while Jesse Helms was senator (for way too many years) and he used to say they should put a fence around Chapel Hill and call it the state zoo- so I can't even begin to imagine what he'd make of Glastonbury.
Actually, Glastonbury is pretty unique, even here in the UK, where I think there is a little more tolerance for differences or eccentricities than in the US in general. A lot of people think it's just full of crazies and avoid it like the plague - but they still let it exist-they don't feel compelled to shut it down. I like that kind of openness. I have nothing against Christians either - in fact I love a lot of Christians dearly - but I can't take all the judgement and condemnation that they sometimes inflict on the world around them.

Quote:
Egh I'm sorry, I should have specified.. I meant things like crystals and ancient relics and whatnot.. I don't think they do anything to help the mental.

I was just being a smart alec-sorry.

Quote:

Yea I get that sometimes too. Not with you, of course.

Laughing Laughing Really? That's funny, I don't get it with you either :wink: . But even if I did, like I said, it's no big deal. Sometimes I think the more in-credible or fantastical people on this forum are the most fun to read. In some ways - this forum does allow us all to be these disembodied spirits and intellects- separate from our physical entities. As long as noone hurts anyone else - it's kind of freeing to experience each other in that way - at least in my mind- there could be a downside I'm not thinking of though.
0 Replies