Referencing: American Psychological Association (APA) style

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 09:37 pm
I have a referencing question. In the APA style, books with edited, previously published articles or chapters are supposed to be referenced as such:

Author of article/chapter. (date). Title of author's work. In editor's name (ed.), edited book title (pp article/chapter resides on these pages). Publishing city: Pulishing company.

My question is this: which date to I use? Do I use the date of the original text's publication? Or do I use the date of the edited book's publication? I have the APA manual, but I can't find anything that tells this factoid.

Another Question, this is so basic they don't cover it in the manual (that I could find). When you are referencing a book, do you use the original copyright date or the latest copyright date?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,253 • Replies: 17
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 09:40 pm
from online:

Quote:
Basic Format
Essay Author's Last Name, First Initial. (Year). Essay title. In Editor's Last Name, First Initial (Ed.), Book title. Place: Publisher.

Specific Example
Wilsher, C.R. (1994). Unconventional treatments for dyslexia. In Hales, G. (Ed.), Dyslexia matters: A celebratory volume to honour Professor T.R. Miles. San Diego, CA: Singular Publishing Group.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 09:44 pm
Also - the latest copyright in one book I am referencing is 2007! How can that be? Is it a typo?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 11:21 pm
Anyone? (bump)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 12:23 am
Always use the book you're working with, as the page numbers will differ. So if it's the 27th edition, you'll reference the 27th edition, not the first one. Muy importante.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 12:24 am
PS: APA rules. I use it for everything.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 04:51 am
Keys for Writers.
I really have to recommend getting Keys for Writers. I tutor writing and as far as handbooks for citation style that's great!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 05:38 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Always use the book you're working with, as the page numbers will differ. So if it's the 27th edition, you'll reference the 27th edition, not the first one. Muy importante.

Right. And don't switch between various citation forms like switching from MLA to APA.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 03:09 am
Re: Referencing: American Psychological Association (APA) st
littlek wrote:
My question is this: which date to I use? Do I use the date of the original text's publication?

The writer's workshop, published by the English faculty of the University of Illionis at Urbana-Champaign, recommends the following format in APA style:
    Clark, G., & Zimmerman, E. (1988). Professional roles and activities as models for art education. In S. Dobbs (Ed.), [i]Research readings for discipline-based art education[/i]. Reston, VA: NAEA. (Reprinted from Studies in Art Education, 19 (1986), 34-39.)
So: Newest publication date first, original publication date in an extra parenthesis.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 05:15 am
Heh - I do so since more than 20 years.

(And recommended that in my "skript" [whatever that is in English - 'unpublished broschure'?] about "How to write a thesis" as well :wink: )
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:23 pm
It must be in APA style. Which I like. Thanks Dag for the edition help. Now.....what about that other pesky question? I think I may have to just pass it in and see what happens when she corrects it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:32 pm
Which other pesky question?

The one about the year- it's always the year of the edition you're using. You don't need an exact date of copyright for anything.

Or the one about 2007? Yeah, they do that all the time. Just go by what the book says. I don't know why they do that, but it's not uncommon. Perhaps it makes the book more attractive that way, dunno.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:00 pm
The sticky question is not about editions. It's about previously published articles republished in an edited collection. For example, Sonia Nieto wrote a book (many really) and one of her books or chapters was edited down by Zanzi Bar and put into a new book as an independent chapter among other chapters. The original book has a date, the edited book has a date. You list the reference under the original author's name, then put the date - which date?...... might be easier to explain at home.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 12:09 am
littlek wrote:
The sticky question is not about editions. It's about previously published articles republished in an edited collection. For example, Sonia Nieto wrote a book (many really) and one of her books or chapters was edited down by Zanzi Bar and put into a new book as an independent chapter among other chapters. The original book has a date, the edited book has a date. You list the reference under the original author's name, then put the date - which date?...... might be easier to explain at home.

You put in the date of the edited book, then add a paranthesis: "(republished from [reference to previously published book, with original date])". See my earlier suggestion. This APA citation rule makes sense to me: You talk about two publications, so you give a reference to each.

If you're asking about the date in the in-text citation -- "Nieto (1988) makes the following point ..." -- you insert the publication date of the edited book, because that's the source you're working with, giving page numbers for, and so forth.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:12 pm
Thomas, by your reference structure, I know you're not using APA. So, while that makes sense to me too, I have to be sure I am doing what the APA manual asks of me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:52 am
It's true that as a physicist I don't use APA style citations in my daily work. But what I suggested to you is not my reference structure. It's the University of Illinois' reference structure, specifically for APA style citations, and specifically for the kind of book you are citing. What is the inconsistency between the APA manual and what the English faculty at Urbana-Champaign is saying? (Please don't feel any pressure to answer this. Your pre-submission stress level must be bad enough as it is, and I don't mean to add to it.)

If you absolutely must leave out the "reprinted from:" part -- which I doubt -- the direct answer to your question in the initial post is that you use the later date: That's the edition you're quoting from. That's what you want your readers to check your publication against. This is especially important here, where the editor changed the article before including it in the book. If you cited Author (old date) instead, your readers would end up checking your publication against a text you weren't working with.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 08:37 pm
In the end, according to this professor, I needed to put the date of the original work in the reference (which I did).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:57 pm
Interesting. Good luck to your thesis!
0 Replies