"Myth" by Tracey M. Parece

Tr6cey

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 11:34 am
"Myth" by Tracey M. Parece

I killed Georgie. It was 7:09 P.M. on the first Saturday in June. It was raining again and almost unbearably cold, especially for June. I was already in a bad mood because I had just spent $391.77 to have the timing chain replaced in my 2000 Hyundai. Having to deal with someone like Georgie, on a day like that, was more than I could bear.
Lucky for me, everything went smoothly once my plan was in action.
Now, I never liked Georgie anyway. We worked together at
the Reno Frend-Mart, pricing items and putting them on display, the usual retail gig. From the day we met, he was always trying to get involved in my personal business, always coming around with his questions like "So, what did you do this weekend?" and "Where are you going on vacation?"
In addition to his nosiness, he was always trying to avoid doing his fair share of the work. But it wasn't until that damp and dreary day in early June that I finally figured out he was a werewolf.
How could I have missed the signs? The yellow teeth, the callused palms, and the excessive body hair should have caused any reasonable person to wonder. No one else seemed to notice that the day he couldn't work because of "car trouble" happened to fall on the same day as the full moon. It was obvious to me that it was more than coincidence.
I considered the evidence very carefully. I asked myself why a werewolf would be working at Frend-Mart. The answer was simple. Even a werewolf has to pay the rent.
I waited for him that night, with the gun my abusive boyfriend had left behind when he was mysteriously poisoned (and subsequently buried). I was concerned about my lack of silver bullets as I had always heard that they were essential for
executing werewolves. It turned out that my fears were totally unfounded. So, I guess the whole silver bullet thing is just a myth.
The authorities never found out what happened to Georgie, which isn't surprising considering they never figured out he was a werewolf either.

My life was normal for awhile after that. It was quiet, peaceful, just the way I like it. Then I met Samarra. Samarra wasn't a werewolf, of course. Samarra and I both waited tables at the Aluna Bar. Well, not so much waited on tables as danced on them. She was one of the nicest people I had ever met. Unfortunately, she was also a witch. I don't mean she was a witch in the modern new-age-Wiccan way. She was a witch in the traditional sell-your-soul-to-the-devil way. I'm sure of it.
I am getting more adept at spotting these things. Also, she kept candles and incense burning on her dressing table. Once, I saw her with a doll that looked just like me, but she claimed it was just a Barbie doll that one of her regulars had given her. She must think I'm really dumb. I never saw the doll again. Four days later, I slipped on a wet spot while I was entertaining the customers. I sprained my ankle, a victim of one of her evil spells, no doubt.
I still haven't been able to return to work. My ankle is really sore. I was able to stop by one night, after Samarra's shift, just in time to shoot her before she unlocked her car door. Later, I heard on the radio that she was dead, another unsolved crime in the big city. The funny part is that I thought you had to drown a witch, or burn her at the stake. I had no idea, until that night, that bullets worked just as well as the traditional methods. Hmm.
While I wait for my ankle to recover, I spend a lot of time doing research on the internet, watching television, and observing the man next door. He spends his days inside the house with the shades drawn. He only goes out at night. I wonder if he could be a vampire. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 679 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:34 pm
First off, welcome. :-D

Second, interesting, creepy tale. Some details stand out to me and I'm not sure why they're in the piece, such as the bit about the Hyundai. I see you may have intended it as background, but to me it seemed almost like product placement. You don't need it; I'd ditch that line.

I like the opening line but I'm wondering if it's misplaced. After all, the narrator seems to be completely amoral. So why say the narrator killed someone, a word which contains a lot of moral freight. I suggest something more neutral or even inhuman, such as "I exterminated Georgie, the vermin." I realize it's not as much of a grabber as your opening sentence, but do you see where I'm going with this? The narrator doesn't seem to feel remorse, and seems to feel her actions are completely justified. So having her call herself a killer seems to me to strike a note that you don't want to strike.

It gives off a great creepy vibe and the reader begins to wonder if someone like this lives in his/her town. In fact, I'd drop the name Reno - why not make it that the narrator could be anywhere, around any corner?

I hope this is of help to you and I look forward to seeing more great writing from you! :-D
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:51 pm
I liked the tale. What's the score, 4-0? The abusive boyfriend who seems to have started this little series of ridding the world of supernatural pests, should I think have gotten more than a brief mention. All in all, a nice little story. I hope to see more from you.
0 Replies

Tr6cey

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:16 pm
Thank you, jespah. Thank you, Asherman.
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my piece. I found your advice very helpful. I definitely see your point. I will use your advice to make my story stronger and clearer. I am new to this, so I appreciate the help.

Also, I'm not sure how I lost all my indentations. Can I use the "new to this" excuse twice in one day?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:00 pm
Tracy,

Don't try to indent, double space between paragraphs. That has become the most common style in modern writing.

Let me recommend Jespah's Writer's Workshop thread. Long before coming to this site, the Writer's Workshop existed and was a wonderful way to work on our writing and story telling skills.

I look forward to reading more of your work. Short stories are demanding, and not everyone has the "call" to write them. Welcome to the club, and I hope that you will find your skills improving with each piece you write.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 08:09 am
Hey there [email protected]! Sure, use the "new to this" (AKA just hatched) excuse more'n once. We're not particular. :-D

The Writers' Workshop is in the Original Writing forum (just click on the Original Writing link). The first one is a featured topic so it's right at the top. And that reminds me I'm going to write another one (Workshop topic, that is). Hmmm.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 08:39 am
Here you go: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8404
0 Replies