Roger Clemens, Others, Accused of Using Drugs

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 01:04 am
L.A. Times': Roger Clemens, Others, Accused of Using Drugs

Published: October 01, 2006 12:20 AM ET

LOS ANGELES Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Miguel Tejada were among the players that Jason Grimsley accused of using performance-enhancing drugs, according to a federal agent's affidavit, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday on its Web site.

The agent for Clemens and Pettitte denied the accusations. Baltimore teammates Brian Roberts, Jay Gibbons and Tejada also were implicated in the sworn statement, the Times said; an Orioles spokeswoman said the team had not seen the report and had no comment.

In June, federal agents searched Grimsley's home in Arizona after the pitcher admitted using human growth hormone, steroids and amphetamines.

In a 20-page search warrant affidavit signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, the Times reported, he said Grimsley identified other players who had used drugs. Those names were blacked out when the document was released.

The Times said an anonymous source with access to the document --inus the crossouts-- let the newspaper see it, but kept the copy. The Times said a second source who had identified the other players provided additional details about the document.

According to the affidavit, the Times said, Grimsley told investigators Clemens and Pettitte "used athletic performance-enhancing drugs."

The affidavit also alleged Grimsley told federal agents that Roberts, Gibbons and Tejada "took anabolic steroids."

Novitzky also was the lead investigator in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative probe. Two BALCO officials and Barry Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, served jail time after guilty pleas in that investigation.

Grimsley has complained to friends, the Times said, that federal agents attributed statements to him that he did not make.

"I'm told he has denied saying all of this," Randy Hendricks, who represents Clemens and Pettitte, told The Associated Press on Saturday night. "It's an agent's recollection about a conversation he had about conjecture."

"I've grown weary of having to defend (Clemens) from innuendo and conjecture about every six months for the last several years when he's complied with all of the rules and regulations," Hendricks said. "Andy is just surprised and stunned, and has no knowledge of any such activity."

Clemens and Pettitte pitch for Houston. The Astros won 5-4 at Atlanta on Saturday night.

Tejada, Gibbons and Roberts had left the clubhouse in Boston after Baltimore's 5-4 victory Saturday night when an AP reporter sought comment.

"We do not have any comment at this time," Orioles spokeswoman Monica Pence said. "We have not seen it, so we do not have anything on it."

Along with the federal probe, baseball hired former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell to investigate the use of steroids. All major league players are tested at least twice a year for banned drugs
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:24 am
Is there any merit here?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:38 am
I am hoping the strory is wrong.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:52 am
So am I. Poor Roger, all that work and to have it end up like this, if the story is correct.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 04:06 am
The accuser isn't exactly the world's most credible person, and ESPN last night said they had close sources who said the mentioning of these players was purely on the investigators' side.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:22 am
i'm beginning to think that quite a few otherwise reputable ball players have taken illegal substances to enhance their performance.

clemens is a perfect example -- how does a 44 year old continue to dominate, when the rest of his contemparies are long retired?
i'm just not buying the "strenuous workout" reasoning.

we'll never know the truth, but i'm having doubts about everybody...

that said, i continue to be a huge baseball fan Smile
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:50 am
Hate to agree with a Sox fan, but I'm with Region P.'s post on all counts.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 08:02 am
Laughing i'm also a mets fan, if that helps...
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 08:18 am
It helps somewhat; however I am both a Yankee and Mets fan (Yankees primary). Having developed my baseball prejudices in the 30's I was not alone in dual loyalties. At that time many Yankee and Giant fans were united in their hatred of the Dodgers. Lacking a National league team to root for after the traitorous departures of the Dodgers and Giants, many of us accepted the Mets as our National league team from the Marv Throneberry days.
0 Replies