Feel good films

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:18 am
Good one, DP.

I forgot the classic "La Cage Au Folles".(subtitled, of course) MARVELLOUS!

...and the "Jean De Florette" trilogy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:20 am
BBB
I loved Anthony Hopkins in "The World's Fastest Indian." The movie biography of Kiwi motorcycle racer and New Zealand national hero Burt Munro concluded its location shooting at Bonneville, Utah.

http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/features/munro/movie.htm

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:22 am
"Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Wererabbit."

I know it's old news by now but I only just saw it on DVD and I was amazed at how it managed to exceed my very high expectations. Great fun! Gromit's eyebrows are the 8th wonder of the world.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:24 am
Uncle Buck
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:25 am
Trilogy? WTF? Of course, there were only two films in the JDF thingy....

Jean De Florette and Manon Des Source. Both were brilliant. French, but brilliant.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:51 pm
The minute I saw "feelgood movie," my mind instantly went to Breaking Away. Insiders vs. outsiders. Haves vs. havenots. When I think of the race at the end, I can't help but smile. Also, I loved Paul Dooley's performance as the father.

I also feel good when I watch any of the movies in the Thin Man series. Nick, Nora, and Asta. Loved those people.

I also found Shrek and Babe to be major feelgood movies. Especially Babe. That'll do Pig, that'll do.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:52 pm
Oops. Asta wasn't a people.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:07 pm
"My big fat Greek wedding" was wonderful feel good movie.
"Bridget Jones" was another one.
"Sleepless in Seattle" oh so romantic, but it felt soo good.
"Amelie" also a feel good movie.
"Tortilla Soup" very feel good movie - left me hungry though...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:53 pm
"When Harry Met Sally" is pretty good. And definately, "Bridget Jones Diary." I love that one. In fact, I love anything with Hugh Grant (including "Four Weddings and A Funreal").
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:08 am
Jean de Florette did not exactly end on a positive note, but closure (and revenge) came in Manon des Sources (and Emanuelle Béart is always a plus; I'm sure his lordship wouldn't mind finding her bathing on his property).

Feel good as in sweet revenge makes me think of Once were Warriors, a great film that left me feeling terrible, but it was almost made up for by the scene in which Temuera Morrisson finally turns his fists against a guilty person. Dirty Pretty Things (with Audrey "Amélie" Tautou) does not exactly have a happy ending either, but the way the evildoer is paid back in kind is nonetheless kind of satisfactory.

The biggest catharsis in film must be the Bolero at the end of Les Uns et Les Autres when all the story lines come together. That was great cinema!
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:02 am
Betsy's Wedding
0 Replies

Marco Lazzeri

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:26 am
surprised nobody said.....Forrest Gump Surprised
others like Amelie,Men of Honor,Cast away were feel good too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:36 am
BBB
I just saw "Off The Map", a wonderful movie filmed in New Mexico. An unusual story line, beautifully adapted from Fergus Fleming's book,
Off the Map: Tales of Endurance and Exploration.

Off the Map avoids conventional drama (hardly any event leads to an outcome you could expect) but the lean, sharp dialogue and superb performances make this movie a rich, human comedy. A young girl named Bo, living in the New Mexico desert, rebels against her bohemian parents by reading Forbes magazine and applying for credit cards. Her father Charley (Sam Elliott, Tombstone) has sunk deep into a paralyzing depression; her resilient, industrious mother Arlene (Joan Allen, The Upside of Anger) alternates between gently supporting Charley and railing against his zombie-like state. Into this off-balance family comes a tax auditor (Jim True-Frost, Singles), who--after being stung by a bee and lapsing into a sudden fever--becomes an accidental catalyst for change. In her movie debut as Bo, Valentina de Angelis gives a wonderful performance, head and shoulders above most actors her age. Campbell Scott's direction, as with his first film Big Night, is warm but not sappy; he has a gift for letting a story wander without it ever getting lost. The New Mexico landscape glows in the sun and helps give Off the Map a quiet but mysterious vision of life.

Product Description

Bo (Valentina de Angelis) is eleven years old and lives in a remote desert area of New Mexico with her mother (Joan Allen), a free spirit who tends to the garden in the nude, and her father (Sam Elliott), who is losing a battle with his inner demons. One day they receive a visit from an IRS agent (Jim True-Frost) who is there to audit the family even though they make a very modest income. Realizing the simple yet profound way that Bo and her family are living, the IRS agent abandons his work to live with the family and surrender to the mystique of the desert landscape. Eventually he becomes the catalyst for major changes and discoveries by every member of the family. Off the Map is a story of self-discovery that reveals unexpected moments of grace and the unpredictable enduring nature of love.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
"The Shawshank Redemption" and "About a Boy" are two movies that always make me feel happy in very different ways.
0 Replies

Marco Lazzeri

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:51 am
yeah boomerang thanks for reminding...forgot that one..The Shawshank Redemption. Smile
0 Replies

malek

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:39 pm
A matter of life and death (David Niven)
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:31 am
"Punch". A funny and heartwarming tale.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:57 am
I watched a film called "Sixteen Blocks" a month or so ago. It features Bruce Willis and I think Ludakris if I'm remembering correctly. I just got it because there was nothing else I hadn't seen- I wasn't really into either of those people as actorsand didn't expect to like it, but I really, really liked it- and appreciated their acting in this movie. Nice message about redemption and not judging books by their cover.

(I might be wrong about it being Ludakris - but it was a rapper turned actor who I thought did an excellent job in this movie.
Sorry just looked it up - it was Mos Def).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:54 am
Hook
Patch Adams
Mr. Holland's Opus
Milo & Otis
Music of the Heart
The Banger Sisters
Mission to Mars
Step Mom
Big
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 01:50 pm
aidan wrote:
I watched a film called "Sixteen Blocks" a month or so ago. It features Bruce Willis and I think Ludakris if I'm remembering correctly. I just got it because there was nothing else I hadn't seen- I wasn't really into either of those people as actorsand didn't expect to like it, but I really, really liked it- and appreciated their acting in this movie. Nice message about redemption and not judging books by their cover.

(I might be wrong about it being Ludakris - but it was a rapper turned actor who I thought did an excellent job in this movie.
Sorry just looked it up - it was Mos Def).

Likely the best Willis performance since "Pulp Fiction" and a heartfelt ending with a total absence of sentimentality. The alternate ending on DVD sucks.
0 Replies