Letters vs Email

Bohne

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 02:27 am
Sorry about the lax interpretation of the topic.

In this age of email and sms, how often do you still write letters?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,577 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Francis

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 03:31 am
Everyday (almost)...

But I do even more emails.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:12 am
I used o write letters, but dont really have anyone to write to anymore.
I love emails, the allow me to ask any question or make a passing comment that i have on my mind at the time.
Its usually to the same person, which Im sure annoys her but emails are very positive things re making arrangements.
Things get sorted at the click of a button.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:03 am
Well, since my best friend does not have email, she tried but could not get the hang of it, I have a 'valid' reason to write letters.
My sister-in-law also loves writing letters, and occasionally I write to my niece, my goddaughter and my stepdaughter.

I love getting letters.
It's like christmas every time!

Very Happy
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:57 pm
i write letters to my family everyweek...expecially my grandfather we correspond through letters just about every 3 to 4 days..all depends on how much time i can et to sit down and write to him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 08:00 pm
I write lots and lots of emails -- easily 100 a day, I'd say, though they're not all personal correspondence. Other than that I correspond via letters with one person -- my husband's grandma, who is the only person I know who doesn't have email access. Exclamation (That can't be right -- the only person I regularly correspond with who doesn't have email, anyway.) Other than that I send a lot of cards, especially to family members, which are more or less chatty but usually for an occasion -- birthday, anniversary, whatever.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 03:36 am
I write to our nephews -- regular old snail mail. Our older nephew does have email, but he likes getting letters (we also send him our comics and kids' sections, so he can get an idea of what Boston is like), and we send magazine pictures to the younger one because he doesn't read yet.

I send either electronic or paper cards, depending on who it's to.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 12:30 pm
I have an aunt on my mother's side, an uncle on my father's side and my old Brownie leader who have no access to--or interest in e mail. They get letters.

Everyone else gets e-mail, except for the holiday season when they receive holiday cards.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 02:17 am
I can't believe it, but this will be the first year, I am actually going to send Halloween Cards.
They are not all that common, in Germany (Germans are not big into Cards, anyway), but last Friday I was shopping up on base and I just could not resist.
I try and blame it on my sister-in-law.
She's been sending me Halloween Cards for years.
And St. Patrick's Day Cards
And Easter Cards
And Christmas Cards
And Birthday Cards
And several postcards from every trip she's been on
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 01:01 pm
Bohne--

I should have been more specific. I send end-of-the-year solstice cards to all sorts of people and birthday cards on birthdays.

Halloween cards? Wonderful for the young and enthusiastic!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 01:15 pm
emails all the way.

I can type a lot faster than write, and I'm much more apt to converse with someone that way than to make phone calls, or take the time to find paper, pen, envelope, stamp...going to the mailbox.

I don't feel I showing anyone I care less doing it electronically....I certainly get more emails than I ever got letters. I like that too.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:29 pm
Both. Something about handwritten letter I still love. Getting the right pen, slowing down, picking the right paper, including a little surprise in the envelope or using a seal.

It just feels really special to do, and to get. I tend to go much slower, and somehow it feels like a larger commitment. Once it is sent, it will be days or longer before it reaches, so must think to say something that will still be relevent.

I send love letters in the mail even though I could easily email, and to certain people who I know appreciate a written note more for their own reasons. Some like to keep them.

All that said, I definetly email more than write by hand. Emails are for quick, off the top of your head and current info. Hand written for words of endurance. Smile

goofy, i know.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 02:45 am
[quote="flushd"]goofy, i know.[/quote]

I don't think it's goofy!
I like it!
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:53 pm
This is a nice topic.

I love to receive and send those neat little packages bound in paper envelopes.....but...I must confess....since my typing speed went through the roof, I rarely have the patience to write by hand because my penmanship hit the pits. But, I have found a happy medium......I bought some blank card stock because it was on sale. It has been a great compromise between email and snail mail. Of course it requires the postal service...or pony express..to deliver, but it also allows the use of computer wizardry to accomplish. I sent a nice photo-card with my personal message printed on the card. I chose the graphics and the words.....thus very personal, yet required little of my sloppy penmanship.

Of course it required a publishing software application (which I had anyway)......

I sometimes write a note along with a small gift to surprise special people.

again..nice topic...it brings us back to the basic and real things in life...others who we genuinely care about.

me agapi kai filia
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:26 am
@herema: yes, I think that's a nice compromise!
0 Replies