ink saver

Challie

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:36 am
can anyone give me any advice on a program that makes ink cartridges last 4 times longer, I've seen one advertised in a boogaloo catalogue and as it costs twenty quid I wondered if anyone could advise me if such a thing actualy works before I buy it?
Thanks
Challie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 652 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:13 am
IMO, don't waste your money. If you wish, you can set your printer to use less ink per page via adjusting resolution and color density (dots-per-inch, contrast, hue, tint, and saturation) properties - select "draft" quality as default, for instance - though of course that will impact output quality.

Another personal take - if output quality is important to you, "bargain ink" rarely is - non-OEM cartridges and generic ink cartridge refill kits typically just don't measure up to the real deal in terms of performance, and not infrequently will gum up a printer's works, necessitating a fairly messy, painstaking cleanup which may or may not restore the printer to acceptable performance.

One strategy for extending ink cartridge life is to physically turn off the printer when it is not in use, another is to remove the cartridges from the printer during periods of non-use, storing them in air-tight sealed bags between uses. Color ink being typically more costly than black ink, another economy strategem is to remove and store the color cartridge when plain black&white text printing is all you need; whether you see it or not, color is used in b&w inkjet printing if the color cartidge(s) are mounted.

Finally, depending on what you're printing and why you want to print it, setting the print properties to place multiple pages (typically 2-up or 4-up, though other useful configurations may be available, depending on your printing software) on a single sheet of paper can be an effective cost-cutter.
0 Replies

Challie

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 09:31 am
ink saver
Thanks for the advice Timbo It's much appreciated
Challie
0 Replies