Polytheism within Monotheism

fishin

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:49 am
agrote wrote:
Identity is a transitive relation. If A = B, and B = C, then A = C. A must equal C. If it didn't, then either A doesn't equal B or B doesn't equal C. Let's make A = Ice, B = H20, and C = Water vapour...

If Ice = H20, and Water vapour = H20, then Ice must equal Water vapour. But as you rightly pointed out, it doesn't. So we must either reject Ice = H20 or Water vapour = H20. We can actually reject both, because both are made up of H20 molecules, but neither equals H20. Saying "Ice = H20" is like saying "house = brick". Houses are made of brick, but brick is not made of houses, so clearly house =/= brick. H20 is not made of Ice, so Ice =/= H20.

So your analogy fails. H20 is not equal to three different things.

You are either being intentionally obtuse or you are ignorant. Do you propose that ice somehow became calcium carbonate? iron? sulpher? Ice most certianly is H2O.

A (H2O) = B (Ice)
A = C (Water)
A = D (Steam)

But B =/= C=/= D because there is an additional factor involved - temperature. By changing the temperature we change the state of the H2O.

But since you seem to have difficulty with that analogy let's try another.

John is a 40 year old banker. He's married and has 4 children.

John = Son, Father, Husband and Banker.

John is 4 different things in this scenario yet he is also still John in all of them.

Son =/= father =/= husband =/= banker yet John is all of them.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:52 pm
fishin wrote:
You are either being intentionally obtuse or you are ignorant. Do you propose that ice somehow became calcium carbonate? iron? sulpher? Ice most certianly is H2O.

Well put it this way. A single atom of H20 is neither liquid water, ice, nor steam - it is just an atom of water, if you like. Water, Ice and Steam refer to collections of more than one atom of H20. For example, Ice is a collection of more than one atom of H20 packed tightly together (for want of a better description).

If Ice = H20, then whatever we can say of Ice, we can also say of H20. That is what '=' means - it's not something you can really disagree about.

Ice must consist of more than one atom of H20. But we can't say that "H20 must consist of more than one atom of H20". That just isn't true, because we could call just one single atom of H20, "H20".

So Ice =/= H20. The same applies to steam and liquid water.

Quote:
A (H2O) = B (Ice)
A = C (Water)
A = D (Steam)

But B =/= C=/= D because there is an additional factor involved - temperature. By changing the temperature we change the state of the H2O.

Even if what I've said is a load of rubbish, and H20 does equal ice, water and steam, you've got a major problem here. You seem happy to accept that A = B, A = C, A = D, and B =/= C=/= D. But don't you realise that this is equivalent to saying that A does not equal itself?!

If H20 = Ice, and H20 = Steam, but Steam =/= Ice, then it follows that H20 =/= H20. You're trying to tell me that water isn't water!

Quote:
John is a 40 year old banker. He's married and has 4 children.

John = Son, Father, Husband and Banker.

John is 4 different things in this scenario yet he is also still John in all of them.

Son =/= father =/= husband =/= banker yet John is all of them.

Son, Father, Husband and Banker are four different roles that John plays. If you believe that God plays three different roles, but only has one form, then I see no problem with that.

But some Christians (perhaps you are one of them?) believe that Jesus is God in human form. They seem to imply that God the Father is not in human form, unlike Jesus. This is the sort of belief that I am objecting to.

In your example, John has different roles, but he doesn't take different physical forms or anything strange like that.

Edited due to a typo.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:34 am
agrote wrote:
fishin wrote:

Well put it this way. A single atom of H20 is neither liquid water, ice, nor steam - it is just an atom of water, if you like. Water, Ice and Steam refer to collections of more than one atom of H20. For example, Ice is a collection of more than one atom of H20 packed tightly together (for want of a better description).

H2O would be a molecule - not an atom. Since you propose that a single molecule would be neither steam, ice or water I'd ask what it would be. It most certianly would be one of them depending on the temperature.

Quote:
If Ice = H20, then whatever we can say of Ice, we can also say of H20. That is what '=' means - it's not something you can really disagree about.

This is true - AS LONG AS the discussion is limited to what occurs below 32F.

Quote:
Ice must consist of more than one atom of H20. But we can't say that "H20 must consist of more than one atom of H20". That just isn't true, because we could call just one single atom of H20, "H20".

While you could just call it "H2O", the common term applied to it is ice. This idea that ice (or steam or water) must consist of multiple molecules is some garbage rule that you are attempting to make but holds no premise in science or language. If a molecule of H2O exists in solid form it IS ice. That's what the definition of the word Ice is - H2O in it's solid form.

Quote:

Even if what I've said is a load of rubbish, and H20 does equal ice, water and steam, you've got a major problem here. You seem happy to accept that A = B, A = C, A = D, and B =/= C=/= D. But don't you realise that this is equivalent to saying that A does not equal itself?!

If H20 = Ice, and H20 = Steam, but Steam =/= Ice, then it follows that H20 =/= H20. You're trying to tell me that water isn't water!

I'm not trying to tell you any such thing. Once again, you are being obtuse.

H2O = Steam WHEN THE TEMPERATURE IS ABOVE 212F.
H2O = Water WHEN THE TERMERATURE IS BETWEEN 33F AND 211F
H2O = Ice WHEN THE TEMPERATURE IS BELOW 32F
(All at sea level)

If you take steam at 215F and cool it to 97F you will have water. If you continue to cool it to 20F you will have ice. Water is only water in the temperature range where H2O exists as a liquid. Don't attribute your inability to comprehend 2nd grade science as me making things up.

Quote:
Son, Father, Husband and Banker are four different roles that John plays. If you believe that God plays three different roles, but only has one form, then I see no problem with that.

But some Christians (perhaps you are one of them?) believe that Jesus is God in human form. They seem to imply that God the Father is not in human form, unlike Jesus. This is the sort of belief that I am objecting to.

You can object all you'd like - that doesn't change the fact that the Trinity concept doesn't push Christianity into the polytheism realm. The belief is that there is 1 "God" in 3 forms - not that there are 3 seperate deities.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 12:51 pm
Molecules do not exist in a free state in nature as van der Waals forces of cohesion comes into play.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:37 am
fishin wrote:
H2O would be a molecule - not an atom.

Sorry, you're right - my mistake.

Quote:
Since you propose that a single molecule would be neither steam, ice or water I'd ask what it would be. It most certianly would be one of them depending on the temperature.

Solids consist of molecules packed tightly together; gases consist of molecules moving around freely; and liquids are somewhere in between. A single molecule cannot be a solid, because it cannot consist of molecules packed tightly together. It is just one molecule on its own. And I don't think it can be a liquid or a gas, for similar reasons.

Buildings and bridges are made of bricks, but a brick on its own is neither a bridge or a building. Solids, liquids and gases are like bridges and buildings, with molecules as their bricks.

A single molecule of H20 is not ice, liquid or steam. Only a collection of H20 molecules could be one of those things.

Quote:
Quote:

This is true - AS LONG AS the discussion is limited to what occurs below 32F.

Surely the definition of "=" is the same at all temperatures?

Quote:
This idea that ice (or steam or water) must consist of multiple molecules is some garbage rule that you are attempting to make but holds no premise in science or language. If a molecule of H2O exists in solid form it IS ice. That's what the definition of the word Ice is - H2O in it's solid form.

I'm just going by the definition of solid, liquid and gas that I was taught at school. A molecule of H20 cannot have solid form, because solid form involves multiple molecules packed tightly together. An H20 molecule on its own has no other molecules to be packed together with.

You seem to think that temperature alters the individual molecules of water. But temperature affects the relationships of the molecules to each other. If water is boiled, the molecules move further away from each other. If water is frozen, the molecules move closer together.

What you are saying implies that a single molecule of water could be frozen, or melted, or boiled. This isn't true. Molecules are just molecules.

Quote:
H2O = Steam WHEN THE TEMPERATURE IS ABOVE 212F.
H2O = Water WHEN THE TERMERATURE IS BETWEEN 33F AND 211F
H2O = Ice WHEN THE TEMPERATURE IS BELOW 32F
(All at sea level)

I see what you're saying, but I still object to your use of "=".

The temperature is different in different places, at the same time. So in my freezer there is ice, and in my water tank there is liquid water. According to you, at this very moment in time the ice in my freezer = H20, and the water in my tank = H20. This still leads to the same problem.

If the ice in my freezer = H20,
and the water in my tank = H20,
then the ice in my freezer = the water in my tank.

But the ice in my freezer is not the water in my tank. To avoid this conclusion, we can reject "Ice in freezer = H20" and "water in tank = H20" by saying that the ice in my freezer and the water in my tank are both made of H20 molecules, but that this does not mean that they equal H20.

As I said earlier, House =/= brick.

Quote:
You can object all you'd like - that doesn't change the fact that the Trinity concept doesn't push Christianity into the polytheism realm. The belief is that there is 1 "God" in 3 forms - not that there are 3 seperate deities.

I'm not accusing Christians of polytheism. Polytheism is only one of the possible solutions to the illogicality of believing that God takes three forms at the same time.

Alternatively, you could say that God plays three different roles, like John does. Or you could say there are three entities (not Gods) called the Son, the Father and the Holy Ghost, and the name of this team of entities is God. Or something like that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:49 am
Can we talk about Christianity's ritual cannibalism yet?
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 07:34 pm
Quote:
Can we talk about Christianity's ritual cannibalism yet?

which denomination does that?? remind me not to visit them on any given sunday.....around lunch..... Laughing

seriously though.....are you speaking about views on transubstantiation?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:35 pm
Don't you just hate it when Jesus gets stuck to the roof of your mouth?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 09:05 pm
nothin' a little blood won't wash down
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 09:11 pm
Are you being obtuse?

Code:Solids consist of molecules [B][color=red]packed tightly together[/color]; gases consist of molecules moving around freely; and liquids are somewhere in between

Van der Waals forces make water molecules form into water droplets and that 'packed tightly together' is exactly those forces.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:32 pm
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
No.

Monotheism is one god. Polytheism is multiple gods.

If you're actually asking if Christianty is monotheistic or polytheistic, then it depends on who you're asking.

True. It does indeed.

One will give you the correct answer, the other will not.

OK I'll bite.

Who do you think has the definitive answer?

The Bible.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:40 pm
LOL ... and only when you don't misinterpret it, of course!

(btw, which bible?)
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:22 am
drew i think only catholics believe in transubstantiation....most protestant churches believe that communion is symbolic and done in remembrance of Christ...........
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:08 am
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
No.

Monotheism is one god. Polytheism is multiple gods.

If you're actually asking if Christianty is monotheistic or polytheistic, then it depends on who you're asking.

True. It does indeed.

One will give you the correct answer, the other will not.

OK I'll bite.

Who do you think has the definitive answer?

The Bible.

LOL ... and only when you don't misinterpret it, of course!

So are you claiming that you have the correct interpretation and thus can determine whether I've misinterpreted it?

Eorl wrote:
(btw, which bible?)

Since you are apparently the new expert, which one should it be?

Which one is the most representative of the original writings (whether or not you agree with the content of the original writings) and why?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 05:18 pm
rl, absolutely not.

I'm saying that the answer to the question "Is Christianity monotheistic or polytheistic?" depends on who you ask.

(I haven't the faintest idea)

You are the one claiming to have the right answer, and to know where it is to be found. The bible.

Now, if only everyone who'd read the bible (even the same actual bible)came away with same answer as you !

Like I said, the answer depends on WHO you ask.
0 Replies