A simple question or two

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:26 pm
Have you ever noticed that in a lot of stories or novels, whenever there is a situation where there is absolute silence the author feels the need to add the words "in the distance a dog barked."

Why is that? I decided to play with that a bit in a recent letter to my sister who lives in Tonga. (temporarily, she's teaching music for a year) My sister had written me a letter describing some of the activities on the island, one of which involved a lady who sells bananas becoming so impressed with my sister that she decided she was to marry her twelve-year old son.

I wrote a letter back and used that theme to start a story of high intrigue in the tropics. (The woven-haired lady who came from the skies in the belly of the silver bird and the unsuspecting skinny twelve year old boy that was soon to be her husband sort of thing)

A friend of my sister ( my sister's name is Chris) picked up on the story and wrote a continuation. She had the young man (kwasi) searching for his bride. He discovered her in the jungle. The fever had struck.

That's when I came back with the next chapter , and where you can find the dog barking in the distance.

Feel free to toss some ideas at me for the continuation of this story on the island. I will also accept verbal harpoons.

Here then, is the story....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kwasi stood hidden in the trees at the edge of the clearing. He was transfixed by the phantasmagorical display which was unfolding before his eyes. Everywhere there was activity. Women with pans of boiling water rushed to and fro from the hut which stood alone in the center of the giant clearing. Men with spears and wearing painted masks raced around in circles and chanted demonic incantations. Children laughed and threw rocks at the multitude of pigs which rutted with a curious intensity into the soft brown earth. Overhead, screaming monkeys raced through the lush canopy of foliage which prevented the silvery light of the moon from penetrating. The drama below was all shadow and movement. Fires burned seemingly everywhere. In the distance the sound of drums reverberated through the air... the populace of the island was being called together as one. They were to witness the "Carnival of Consummation."

Kwasi stared intently at the tent. He knew his bride was within. Suddenly, the flap was thrown open as a woman scurried out, carrying an armful of colorful cloth. In a flash Kwasi caught site of Chris, the banana buyer. She lay in a feverish state on a cot. Standing by her side was Tubungo, the medicine man. Kwasi would recognize Tubungo anywhere -- the large bone which erupted from either side of his nose, the necklace of dried monkey skulls, the demonic eyes which darted to and fro like goldfish in a bowl. What was he doing there?

And then Kwasi noticed the mortar and pestle in Tubugo's hands. He could see the medicine man grinding the greenish foliage into a sort of luminous paste. Kwasi recognized the concoction in an instant -- huatia, the herb of lust.

Soon the clearing had filled with every man, woman, and child on the island. They gathered in circles and talked in excited tones. Men drew logs up near the hut and sat down, eager to have a choice location from which to view the forthcoming display of carnal lust between Kwasi and the mysterious white-skinned creature from the sky.

Kwasi was shocked by the amount of tribal members. There were thousands. A large, writhing ebony mass of humanity. Kwasi cleared his throat and stepped from the foliage. A hush fell over the crowd. Absolute silence. Even the monkeys in the trees stood still. In the distance... a dog barked.

Kwasi began to walk forward, and, like the Red Sea, the crowd parted, leaving an unobstructed aisle to the entrance to the hut. The chief raised his spear in a signal and the walls from the hut fell outward, collapsing onto the ground and raising a storm of dust which momentarily hid the contents of the hut. But the dust settled, and there was Chris, the banana buyer, lying seductively on her cot.

Kwasi noticed something different about her. And then it hit him. Her eyes! Yesterday they were filled with intelligence and humor. Now, only a longing... a longing for the skinny 12 year old who she gazed upon with an animal lust. Chris propped herself up on one elbow and with her free hand made an almost imperceptible gesture. She beckoned Kwasi.

Kwasi froze. His knees shook and beads of perspiration began to form on his forehead. He tried to walk, but was too weak. Chongo, an old man from the village who always seemed to procure the choice seat to view these activities, and who had apparently consumed prodigious amounts of alcohol, sidled up to kwasi, poked him in the ribs with his elbow, and said, "Go get 'er, Kwas."

A disapproving stare from the chief sent Chongo scurrying back into the crowd, where he melted into the ebony mass.

Kwasi remained frozen. Chris continued to beckon -- her desire for the skinny kid with the garish teeth was obvious. From out of the crowd, Elina emerged. She put her arm around Kwasi and said in a soft matronly tone, "Go, my son. Go to her."

Kwasi rushed forward into the waiting arms of Chris.

The Chief's thunderous voice could be heard over the tumult which had started. "And so it begins!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,122 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:30 pm
Gus - I for one would be unable to contribute ideas for a story that appears to be about what I would call child sexual abuse. "Usual" genders being reversed does not make a difference.

Maybe 12 year old boys on Tonga are considered adult - though I doubt it - but they are not in western cultures, and I doubt that the Chris depicted in the story is a child too.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:10 am
ok, Dlowan, I'll change the age of the participants to make it a bit less heinous. How about if I make Kwasi 17, but nearing his 18th birthday, and we'll put Chris at, oh, around 33 or so. Would that be acceptable? That's not my main concern though. What did you think about the part with the dog barking in the distance?

Were you excited? Scared? Was there a good visual image of the silence of the tribe and surroundings, only to be shattered by the lone dog howling his head off at some distant point?

That's the whole point, Dlowan. The barking dog; the ubiquitous barking dog. Let's run with that and forget about the damn kid.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 07:56 am
Age of consent in light entertainment makes me much happier, Gus.

i will have to think about the barking of the dog.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:47 am
To me there's nothing compelling or even significant about the dog barking. That's what they do. Except of course the African Bazenji (sp?) a dog that has no bark. If the dog is meant to represent something why not have the sound growing louder as it approaches. Then it has a portent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:40 am
dlowan, That's a hard one to call. Many in Africa do not live over 40 years, so to determine whether a 12 year old can be considered a adult is not easy for a westerner. c.i.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:11 pm
(Side note: One in seven American men are sexually abused as children. Just because we protect females more than males doesn't mean the "usual gender" is female. Most people don't intend to malign men, but I'd like to encourage people to help both genders equally).

1) I think the dog barking does lend a short moment of suspense. What will happen next? Then the story flows quickly from there, with a bit of drama.

2) "Absolute silence" -- Someone once told me "Don't state the quality itself. State everything around it that helps indicate the quality".

3) The facts of the story don't seem very unusual or exotic to me, so my interest was pulled along by the underlying plot itself -- What was he doing there? How did all this come about? The whole ritual is part of something ... what? What are the implications later?

4) A point about rhythm: the first paragraph contains five sentences in a row with basically the same structure. Describing this, describing that, describing another thing. It started to feel as though the author were just checking off a list.

Perhaps break up the list rhythm by mixing shorter and longer sentences, or embed these items within some of the action, so it's not obvious the author is directly informing the reader outside the story. How did these items relate to what is happening?

5) "skinny 12 year old" could be replaced with "skinny lad" or "very young man". Or indicate that he has already "undergone the Rites of Manhood, though he still has the slight build of a boy". Americans tend to censor these kind of details more than Europeans.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:55 pm
Thanks, CB. Good stuff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 05:21 pm
(CodeBorg said: "Side note: One in seven American men are sexually abused as children. Just because we protect females more than males doesn't mean the "usual gender" is female. Most people don't intend to malign men, but I'd like to encourage people to help both genders equally." Indeed, CB, hence the reason for the inverted commas - but i see how they could have been misunderstood.)
0 Replies