ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:42 pm
Don't let that bamboo run away!!!

Missing my Cornus capitata...

Dag wood...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:42 pm
Wow, that's quite a website. When I was a child we went West for a family vacation and one of the things we saw were the great redwoods. I've come to learn that we have several much closer to home. In Boston, there is a large and old arboreatum and there are some metasequoias there that are more than 100 years old (I think, don't quote me!). They aren't more than knee-high to an old growth redwood tree, but they're still pretty magnificent!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:55 am
Eucalypts exahlt the sky.

And they're all different colours shapes and sizes.

Photos dont do justice.
0 Replies

Bpjea

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 05:03 pm
littlek wrote:
[...] In Boston [...] there are some metasequoias there that are more than 100 years old [...]

You're wrong I'm affraid. Metasequoia is called a Dawn Redwood and it was discovered in the 40's of the 20th century in China. It simply cannot be that old in US.
If You say redwoods (native to US) I'll agree.
I have five metasequoias in my garden but they're rather young. Metasequoia is hardy in my zone but sequoias (Sequoia sp. and Sequoiadendron sp.) unfortunately are not hardy.

Greetings,
Bpjea
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:00 pm
You're absolutely right - I don't know what I remembering. The Arnold Arboretum (where I saw the trees) list them as being acquired in 1948, collected wild in China.
0 Replies