Affected by avatars (among other things)

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:32 am
Avatars affect the way I respond to a participant -- how about you? Favorite avatars? Avatars which are closest to a person's online personality? Who has the best avatar? If you could find an avatar which best represents you, what would it be?

Let's keep it polite, please!! Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,378 • Replies: 165
No top replies

cobalt

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:47 am
I find it interesting and it doesn't necessarily affect my response to the poster when I see the avatar. I've had quite a variety of them and use them to suit my mood. At present, still waters with just a little rippling in the cobalt shimmer is me. But when I get political, watch out - who knows what comes up then? I get a chuckle especially when I see an online friend has changed their avatar. And to know some folks and see the obvious discrpancy towards their online demeaner and then their chose avatar is intriguing!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:52 am
I believe that we choose an avatar because it strikes an emotional "chord" within us. I think that a well chosen avatar says something about a person. I had a couple of others before I settled on this one. The other two just weren't right!

There are a few avatars on A2K that DO turn me off, but they shall remain nameless. I don't let it affect my interactions with those people. My two favorites though, are EhBeth's & Roger's. Every time I see them, they put a smile on my face.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:29 pm
my avatar is just me, on or off line, and its a recent pict.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:49 pm
I don't think that the avatar affects the way I respond to people. It does make me wonder why someone chose it and what it says about them. I'm interested in the eye-ball avatars -- Phoenix and a couple of others have them -- always watching! Smile I like yours, Tartarin -- is that you? I like Fishin's avatar, too. I'm not sure how long mine will represent my personality, but it's a good representation of my mischeviousness and light-heartedness (okay, except in political threads, maybe Wink )
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 01:08 pm
My avatar is also of me. It is a partial view because I don't want folks uncomfortable with it to have to look into my eyes each time we engage.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 01:27 pm
I really think most avatars speak to something about the member.

I imagine I get an enhanced feel of the personalities of the following peeps due to their avatar:

The Bunny
Slappy
Timber
blatham
pueo
snood
sozobe
Letty
Lola
BillW
steissd
I love the ones mamaj chooses, but I can't process them into my ideal of her.

The people who choose reality...Craven, dys, Rae, edgarblythe, Ash. Wish I had a bead on what this may mean--

Only don't like so much the circly, rohrshack art. But I don't really dislike it--just can't do anything with it as a 'representation' of a person.

Tartarin-- I like this topic. (Hard to be mad at a cute little girl--and I find it incongruous with her content.)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 01:49 pm
I liked my first avatar -- a red flower from a picture I took in my garden (more accurately, "yarden"!)

When I set this discussion up, I was going to include that skewed vision reaction to the titles of discussions -- thus: "Let's talk about replacing Bush in 2004" always evokes for me a snarly response "Let's quit talking about it and DO something about it"!! Anyone else have similar reactions to any titles?

I like Lola's legs and love Blatham's clerk. Too jealous of Mamaj's animation to give her the heart-felt compliment she deserves! Crazy about Dys but that's because I think he's really Willy Nelson.

Sofia -- I was already a muckraker at that age...! Nuthin' but trubble.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 02:09 pm
Harrumpf! I cannot think of Willy Nelson without seeing the picture captioned "Would you let this person use your bathroom?" Dyslexia does not evoke a similar reaction.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 02:15 pm
If I walked into my bathroom right now and found both Willy and Dys there, I'd be a very happy camper
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 02:16 pm
I fell in love. Isn't that silly?
But when I saw the understanding eye, the pensive look
and the fingers on the cheek, how could I not?
It was immediate.

The sensitivity, quietly pausing in the moment,
examining each other as we are, just an instant
holding our breath, seeing.
I still look for her whenever I'm online.

It's only an icon! A silly avatar!
There's hardly any pixels to the image at all, no color or resolution,
and how can I love somebody's image, when it's clearly not even them?
How can I have a crush on a computer glyph?

It doesn't make sense. Not at all.
It wasn't the facts or the actual truth that I love,
or even their posts and ideas. Or the person (fancy that!)
It was the smile.

The spirit of the thing. It's the notion, the perfect companion,
the ideal conversation, discovery and mutual understanding.
A Lightness of Being from just that part of the screen,
the awareness suggested by a look. That someone is there.

It's not real. It could not be. I let the dream go its way.
No one could possibly live up to their avatar.
And besides, she'd never go for me anyways because
I'm just a little green guy.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 02:27 pm
TELL, you one-eyed martian!

Who was it?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
I think the avatars are cool and I believe they do reflect at least a part of that persons personality. If I could find an avatar of a cowgirl on a horse I'd change mine in a heartbeat and it would reflect on who I am. When I was Gezzy my avatar was of myself for awhile.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:12 pm
hey Montana, is Shades restaurant in Fredericton still open. The best Prager Schnitzel and Schpatzle in the New World.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:16 pm
Sorry Farmer, I couldn't tell ya. I'm almost 3 hours from Fredericton and I never go there. Sounds good though ;-)
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:21 pm
Sofia --
Whence, the icon that launched a thousand dreams? :wink:
The wistful torture of impossible hope and sweet memory?
You ask me ... what pixels tug at the soul of being
and thrill to my veins the sweet nectar of love?

How can I share what has shattered my bereft heart?
How can anyone see what is real from what is a dream?
Would you be to judge with scorn or approval, what no mortal can
infinitely see? What no one can acheive, grasp or believe.

(sigh) I am resigned. My countenance is woe,
even as I gaze with bliss upon a dream.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/gallery/female/girlface.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:45 pm
Here ya go, Montana. If you need help resizing them to fit the avatar size limits, let me know and I'll do it for you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:34 pm
Butterflynet
Those are so cool. Thanks :-) I really like the one in the middle and I could use help resizing it if you don't mind.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:40 pm
Montana--
A great one (the middle).

Codeborg-
Thanks.
I am way too curious. Guessing would've driven me over the deep end. It is pretty.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:50 pm
http://pf.dusty.tripod.com/images/VPDesignCowgirls/PFCG18.gif

Thanks Sofia ;-) I actually just found this one that I really love, but it's too big as well and I don't know how to size it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Affected by avatars (among other things)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 04:47:49