cursors and Ghost

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:39 am
I have a couple of issues, unrelated I think, going on right now. I need help (please!) with both. I use windows XP.

The first problem is this: my cursor is showing up where it shouldn't. On webpages that are not interactive/read only, I have a flashing cursor (like in a program where you are writing text). Wen I try to scroll down, the cursor moves down line-by-line as I go. I have run virus scans and run ad-aware, both have come back fine. Should I do the highjack this thing agian? Or is this a hardware issue?

Problem 2 has todo with Norton Ghost (10.0). I have had ridciulous issue with activation. I activate one day, when I rebbot the next day they tell me I have to re-activate. Then they wouldn't let me reactivate. I spent one frustrating morning on the phone with symantec, being shunted from department to department and back again. It was almost comical. I got the activation to work once in the last month or so, but it no longer does. When I try to activate, it stalls on the window where they are trying to connect to symantec.

So, I decided to re-install ghost. I uninstalled, kept my previous images and reinstalled. What I ended up with was totally unfamiliar. I wasn't asked to activate anything for one thing. I have tried to create a new image to no avail and am at sea with how to fix it. I don't know enough about terms and actions to even follow the user guide. When I try to create a new image (to a USB device), windows shuts down and reboots in dos. From there, ghost is supposed to take over and create a backup image and then restart windows. But, the process gets hung up in dos after the words "mouse found" or something.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. If I can't fix it with your help, I'll try my b-in-l and then I'll try calling symantec aain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 714 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 11:59 am
For the mouse issue you might wanna try going to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Mouse; there, review your pointing device's configurations under the Settings tab, Settings button, and under the Pointer Options tab - you should be able to adjust your settings to your liking.

For your Norton Ghost problem, I suspect the issue you report has to do with your trying to save previous images; to my experience, that just plain ain't gonna work. I suggest you try a full uninstall of ALL Norton product on your machine using Symantec/Norton's removal utility - see Symantec Support: Using the Norton Removal Utility

A useful little free utility for cleaning up unwanted OEM-installed junk from any XP computer is PC De-crapifier - though aimed primarily at Dell machines, I've found it works on any XP system.

Whichever you use (using both won't hurt a thing, btw), then use Windows Explorer, configured to Show All Files to search-for-and-delete (or, if you're chicken, just rename) all files/folders named or containing the words "Norton" and "Symantec". Some files/folders may resist removal or renaming; for any that do, you can try Gibinsoft's MoveOnBoot, which should bypass file/folder protection by conducting the removal or renaming (your choice) operation(s) as a "first step" on reboot, before the protection is loaded.

Follow that with a full cleanup via CCleaner, defrag your system, reboot, then attempt to re-install such Norton/Symantec product as you wish.

Edit to add: all that said, IMO the most reliable, effective way to resolve problems with Norton Ghost is to format and reinstall Windows and everything else from scratch ... the way Ghost works, once its screwed up, it tends to stay that way no matter what else you try.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 06:24 pm
Geezus! Reinstall wondows and everything else? Ok, then, is there a more reliable replacement for Norton ghost?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 06:43 pm
Well, the wipe-and-reload remedy is extreme ... but it'll work. Try the other stuff first ... you could get lucky.

As for replacing Ghost with something else, there are many drive imaging apps out there - you might wanna do some research to see if anything appeals to you. Read lotsa reviews. None of 'em are perfect, and for all its flaws and foibles, Ghost is among the better ones. If you decide to go with something else, be sure there is absolutely nothing left of Ghost before installing an alternative.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 06:59 pm
<sigh>
0 Replies