Who gets to go to heaven?

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:26 am
neologist wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
We also have to consider that the 144,000 could be a symbolic number.

Symbolic of what intrepid?

Symbolic of the fact that only the Lord knows the true number that will comprise the mulitude.

Are we to believe that He wants all the world to be saved, but we are to take the 144,00 as a literal number?

Something like when Setanta starts to call people names like clown etc. It is probably symbolic of the fact that he cannot refute what is being said in a coherent and cohesive manner. A compliment really.
Whoa! What would be so bad about living on earth? Aren't those folks also saved?

It also says that the earth will be no more.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:29 am
Intrepid wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Think about this though intrepid... it states the 144,000, how many from each tribe, and then it says the a multitude that can't be numbered from every tribe, tongue, and nation. So if those people in that multitude are not "saved" what are they doing at God's throne?

I am not sure if I understand what you are saying. I think you are saying the same as I am. Correct me if I am wrong.... It is more than the 144,00 number that will counted among those who abide with God in heaven.

Sorry intrepid. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really see why that number would have be symbolic. There's a distinction made between the tribes of israel that are seen in heaven and everyone else.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:31 am
It either has to be symbolic or literal. I think symbolic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:43 am
Intrepid wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Symbolic of the fact that only the Lord knows the true number that will comprise the mulitude.

Are we to believe that He wants all the world to be saved, but we are to take the 144,00 as a literal number?

Something like when Setanta starts to call people names like clown etc. It is probably symbolic of the fact that he cannot refute what is being said in a coherent and cohesive manner. A compliment really.

You can believe that you have something which i cannot refute if you wish, but that is not the fact. I was pointing out that you are made ridiculous by claiming that those who do not share your supersition are closed-minded. Those of us who are raised in "christian" societies have rejected christianity becuase we have open minds, and having examined the horsie poop being peddled, have refused to continue to believe or even to pay lip service.

You, on the other hand, want to make claims such as that the 144,000 figure is symbolic, becuase you are so wedded to the inerrancy of the scripture you worship as surely as you worship your imaginary friend, that you will go through all manner of ludicrous mental gymnastics to continue to assert that said scripture does not chronically contradict itself either directly or inferentially. People thousands of years ago must have thought that 144,000 is a big number--but now it is a ridiculously small number of people to assert would be "saved" by your imaginary friend. So you come up with silly statements such as your symbolism dodge, rather that have an open mind, and admit that your vaunted scripture may be flawed. You completely have failed to address my original criticism of a comic book god who would create being with a free will, and then condemn them for the choices they make in exercising that will. Your mind is closed to any possibility that your creed may be flawed or contradictory.

Clown . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:48 am
Intrepids words are so contradictory and self serving, they refute themselves.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:45 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepids words are so contradictory and self serving, they refute themselves.

Perhaps rather than just making your usual snide remarks, you could provide information as to what words are contradictory and what it is that you see as self serving. I really doubt that you can answer.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:50 am
Setanta wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

You can believe that you have something which i cannot refute if you wish, but that is not the fact. I was pointing out that you are made ridiculous by claiming that those who do not share your supersition are closed-minded. Those of us who are raised in "christian" societies have rejected christianity becuase we have open minds, and having examined the horsie poop being peddled, have refused to continue to believe or even to pay lip service.

You, on the other hand, want to make claims such as that the 144,000 figure is symbolic, becuase you are so wedded to the inerrancy of the scripture you worship as surely as you worship your imaginary friend, that you will go through all manner of ludicrous mental gymnastics to continue to assert that said scripture does not chronically contradict itself either directly or inferentially. People thousands of years ago must have thought that 144,000 is a big number--but now it is a ridiculously small number of people to assert would be "saved" by your imaginary friend. So you come up with silly statements such as your symbolism dodge, rather that have an open mind, and admit that your vaunted scripture may be flawed. You completely have failed to address my original criticism of a comic book god who would create being with a free will, and then condemn them for the choices they make in exercising that will. Your mind is closed to any possibility that your creed may be flawed or contradictory.

Clown . . .

I don't really care what you think. I was replying to hephzibah and you do not have to agree with me. You could simply say you don't agree, but NOOO you have to do your usual childish ranting. Just like a child, you start to call God a clown etc. trying to elicit a response. Then you call me a clown, again. You should really try to grow up Setanta. Many people have told you that, but like a spoiled child you continue to seek attention.

How could anyone of intelligence accuse someone of having a closed mind and not even entertain the possibilty that their own mind could be stuck in the closed position.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 08:55 am
hephzibah wrote:
neologist wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Hmmm... interesting point neo. So what's the point of the "rapture" then? Do you believe in the rapture?
The fact that the word does not appear in the bible should give us one clue. . .

Or how about Solomon's words at Proverbs 2:21, 22: . . . "For the upright are the ones that will reside in the earth, and the blameless are the ones that will be left over in it. 22 As regards the wicked, they will be cut off from the very earth; and as for the treacherous, they will be torn away from it."
Solomon was not the only one who wrote about God's purpose for us to inhabit the earth.

"For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
[10] For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
[11] But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace." (Psalm 37: 9-11)

There's more, of course; but why belabor the point?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:47 am
Looks like I have a buncha stuff to sell.

Any buyers?

(Oh, wait. Am I suppose to sell it or give it away?)
0 Replies