Greek film 1953

Donob

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:44 am
Please can you advise where we might find information on Virginia Petmezaki.

VIRGINIA PETMEZAKI

Film Information

Titles
ONIRA KORITSION
GIRL DREAMS

Main Director
KOSTAS ANDRITSOS

Year

Length
88 Minutes

Country
Greece

Director Of Photography
JOSEF HEPP

Composer
ARGYRIS KOUNADIS

Companies
ZEUS FILM

Actors
VIRGINIA PETMEZAKI

Sincere thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,729 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:15 pm
What specific information are you looking for? The imdb site probably has all you need. www.imdb.com
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 12:35 pm
I have never heard of this film so I had to make a search in the Greek internet to find out that Virginia Petimezaki (not Petmezaki) was a model and actress of the 50s.

All I could find is that she participated in the films "Oneira Koritsion" and "Phryne" and that in 1952 she won the title in the -Miss Hellas- beauty competition.
0 Replies

Donob

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:19 am
Greek film 1953
Hello Merry Andrew, thank you for your suggestion but I'm afraid I had no luck.

We are trying to trace our family name Petmezaki & as it is not too common a name, we try to follow all leads. Google Alert notified me of the imdb site. I did in fact give to you all the information I was able to get from that site. If by chance you come across any news, we certainly would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks again.

Thank you so much Ellinas for your reply. Please would you mind telling me, which "Greek Internet" did you find your information on? I have spent most of the day searching & was never able to find out as much as you did, especially the Petmezaki name with the "I". If that is the case, then I doubt she would be related to us in any way. Neither did I have any luck with searching the Greek beauty contest, 1952 site.

The only Petmezaki we were able to find was a Dr. Sophia Petmezaki, & extended family members living in & around Athens. My family did visit them a few years back but was assured there is no link.

Please if you do hear any more on this subject we would be so very pleased to receive it, thank you again.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 08:09 am
We call "Greek internet" the web-sites written in Greek language, the ones that have a .gr ending.

With Petmezaki (Πετμεζάκη) I could not find anything either, so I entered the Greek movie database CINE.gr and found the movie you said. Then I found that her name is Petimezaki (Πετιμεζάκη) and I made an internet search with this name. All I could find is what I told you.

I don't think you can find something in web-sites written in English.
0 Replies

Donob

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 12:40 am
Greek film 1953
Ellinas, thank you for replying. I realize the fact that we do not speak or understand Greek, has been a great problem. If in the future you come upon anything you feel would be a help to us, we would very much appreciate hearing from you. Thanks again for all your consideration.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:55 pm
If I come upon anything could be helpful for you I am going to post it here.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:05 pm
Donob, it may be the case that your ancestors last name was actually Petimezaki, and the "i" got lost when the first migrant arrived to America. I say so only because it has happened with people for other descent.
0 Replies

Donob

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 04:01 am
Greeks in Africa
Actually, it has been suggested we look into Petmezaki (S) with an s on the end & then someone said the "s" depended on the gender. All very confusing & we are getting desperate now, but we feel his days ended either in Africa or perhaps he returned to Europe. I wonder if we ever will find out. Thanks for replying.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 04:29 am
Re: Greeks in Africa
Donob wrote:
Actually, it has been suggested we look into Petmezaki (S) with an s on the end & then someone said the "s" depended on the gender. All very confusing & we are getting desperate now, but we feel his days ended either in Africa or perhaps he returned to Europe. I wonder if we ever will find out. Thanks for replying.

Yes, Petimezakis is the male last name and Petimezaki the female.

Example: Virginia Petimezaki, Demetrios Petimezakis

These two forms are the only ones, it is not confusing.
0 Replies

Donob

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 02:28 am
Greeks in Africa
Hello Ellinas, sorry, I AM easily confused, but all documentation pertaining to Demetri as well as his only son Denis, do not end with an "S". Are there circumstances when a male does not have the "S" on the end of his name, & how would I recognize if that is the case? I realize I could find this info on the net but you are so capable & willing to explain it to me, we appreciate that. Thanks again.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:37 am
ALL Greek male last names end with -s or -u. They are no other circumstances.

The only exception is if they have the name changed, something which happens sometimes with Greeks who left Greece generations ago.
0 Replies

Virginia Bain

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 08:34 am
@Donob,
Virginia Petimezakis before the movie Girls Dreams was Miss Hellas 1952
When she was representing Greece in Italy for Miss World was offered a contract with an Italian Producer. She had the leading roll in "Frine cortigiana de Oriente" under the name ELENA CLEUS.
After that she worked in Caravana de Canzoni, Palco al Opera and La Gioconda.
She married in South America and had 3 children.
Today she lives in Canada re-married and have 4 grandchildren.She is 82.
0 Replies