Is internet the new God?

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 04:27 pm
Is internet the new God? (For a debate.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,569 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:15 pm
Depends on what you mean when you say god.

Frankly, this is even sillier than your earlier thread.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:54 pm
Yeah but he's black, give him some slack.
0 Replies

A black man

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:34 pm
its not my fault.....i got given it for a debate.....I think that society has incorporated internet so much into our everyday lifestyles that it is now more important to our lives than God....God may help us a bit but maybe the internet helps us more......
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:45 pm
God? Nah, it's more like the Tooth Fairy.

That, or Grendel.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:15 am
A black man wrote:
its not my fault.....i got given it for a debate.....I think that society has incorporated internet so much into our everyday lifestyles that it is now more important to our lives than God....God may help us a bit but maybe the internet helps us more......

Only because God doesn't exist.

Anyway, just because the internet is more important to us than God, that doesn't mean that it is God. We don't worship the internet, or claim that the internet created the universe and loves us all.

Weird question.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:16 am
Gods never helped me when Ive needed to know the phone number of a local takeaway
that delivers.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:20 am
stuh505 wrote:
Yeah but he's black, give him some slack.

huh? Please, tell me more about that......
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:21 am
Snood, I don't have anything against black people. I just didn't like the fact that he used his race as his name, it was a sort of invitation and I took him up on it because it rubbed me the wrong way. If his name were "a X person" where X is any race I would have responded the same way.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:44 am
Is the Internet a new god?

Well, there's no religion based around it. There's no people worshipping it. The Internet itself isn't omnipotent or sentient in anyway. So the answer is no.

There is nothing to debate here. Go up to the person that assigned you this inane task and tell them there is nothing to debate.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:11 am
Well, two things...

I can see where a discussion could be formed around traditional christian ideas about "idolatry" re: the internet.

But,
if you were assigned this as homework, you need to do some research on your own, come up with your own ideas, and stop trying to find an easy way out of doing the work.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:46 am
snood wrote:
if you were assigned this as homework, you need to do some research on your own, come up with your own ideas, and stop trying to find an easy way out of doing the work.

Yes indeed...too many people trying to get a2k to do their hw.
0 Replies

A black man

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:07 pm
Ive done my research and im here to prove you all wrong....the internet didnt create the universe and wont take us to heaven but neither will God. In modern culture religion is becoming stamped out by technology, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that religion is becoming less and less important to us. religion isn't as important as it was in the past, it has been on a steady decline ever since socrates laid down the foundations for modern society. In our world religion is becoming less and less convenient science and technology is explaining many of the things religion cant, science is proving religion wrong. As our society advances religion is becoming less needed. These days we don't need God as much as we need the internet and technology.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
None of which is plausibly addresses the question of whether or not the internet is "the new god."

I see no good reason to say that it is.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:04 pm
A black man wrote:
Ive done my research and im here to prove you all wrong....the internet didnt create the universe and wont take us to heaven but neither will God. In modern culture religion is becoming stamped out by technology, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that religion is becoming less and less important to us. religion isn't as important as it was in the past, it has been on a steady decline ever since socrates laid down the foundations for modern society. In our world religion is becoming less and less convenient science and technology is explaining many of the things religion cant, science is proving religion wrong. As our society advances religion is becoming less needed. These days we don't need God as much as we need the internet and technology.

I think you make a little sense here - the most you've made to me since you've been posting.
Chris Rock had a whole routine on his HBO show "Never Scared", where he says that the biggest church in the US is the "church of the ATM". He was making the comedic point that people tend to give their time to what they treasure most. I think you're on to something when you talk about man worshipping technology. I think there is a fanatical zeal in some about the power of man to invent, and about the potential of the computer. So don't let the mighty, endlessly blowing fartwind discourage you from posting what you think.

Oh, and by the way - a belated welcome to A2K...
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 11:04 am
Food has always been more important to us than mythology. More people eat than believe in mythology. Therefore, food must be god.
What an inane topic.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 11:36 am
Thanks for scoffing by.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 05:40 pm
Food is a factor of some significance snood.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:09 pm
To all you unbelievers, I'd like to point out the fact that there are Daemons out there on the internet... And Spam can be nothing else but the latest torture method designed by the devil to torment our poor internetting souls.
0 Replies

A black man

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:19 pm
The internet is just like Christianity and religion.....the internet has a Pope (Bill Gates), a church (www.able2know.com) and Jesus-peripherals such as the mouse and keyboard which sit at the right hand of the father. The internet is just like God, the internet has a church,pope and Jesus therefore the intenet can be God, it is just like God. The internet is the new modernised version of God!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies