Offshore Oil Drilling Platforms

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:37 pm
Does anyone know anything about oil drilling platforms? In the Gulf of Mexico for instance? My grandson stumped me with a question. I tried to research it on the net but couldn't find an answer.

Question: Do the drilling platforms float around like enormous barges or something? Are they anchored to the ocean floor to stabilize and hold them in place? The ocean is very deep in places, I doubt that any of them are attached to legs like a table top.

I know it's a dumb question. Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,826 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:41 pm
I think they are towed from one site to another, and really do put down legs, kind of like the legs on a table top. Please notice that there may be a difference between what I think and what is really done.

As you note, the ocean can get really deep in places, but I'm not sure there are exploitable hydrocarbons at those depths.

Maybe farmerman knows.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:47 pm
It depends on the type of rig. Most are tethered or anchored but some are free floating.

http://offshoreguides.com/BOOK/04_types_of_rigs.htm
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 01:56 pm
I'd like to work on one of them Submersibles or semi-Submersibles. I think it would be cool to look out the window and see sharks!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 04:14 pm
Hey, nice signature line.
0 Replies