US v. Rodriguez: Defective Death Penalty Instructions?

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:05 am
Rodriguez was convicted of the federal crime of "kidnapping resulting in death" in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/15462573.htm

The punishment is life imprisonment or death. However, before the greater punishment (death) may be imposed, the jury is required to undergo additional fact finding. The government is required to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the existence of an additional element--the existence of at least one or more aggravating factors. If the jury finds the government didn't meet its burden, then the court must impose a life sentence. But even if the government does prove the existence of one or more aggravating factors, the decision is still in the hands of the jury to determine whether those aggravating factors are sufficient to justify imposing the death sentence.

When I was reading the articles and the jury instructions for the death penalty phase in the Rodriguez case, I learned that the court instructed the jury with respect to four aggravating factors that the government claimed applied to the case. "The first statutory aggravating factor alleged by the government is that the defendant caused the death of Dru Sjodin during the commission of a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201 (kidnapping)."

WAIT A MINUTE! The defendant was already convicted of kidnapping resulting in death in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201. The conviction on the underlying offense cannot serve as an aggravating factor. The conviction on the underlying offense means that the court must impose a life sentence--but the court cannot impose a death sentence unless an additional element (the existence of one or more aggravating factors) is proved and a jury conducts a weighing process and finds that aggravating factors are sufficient to justify the death penalty.

Not surprising, the jury found the existence of this first "aggravating factor" beyond a reasonable doubt--and why not? The jury had already convicted him of the offense. This finding of an improper aggravating factor TAINTS the jury's deliberations in the death penalty phase and how can one claim this to be harmless error when a man's life is at stake?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,026 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 04:08 am
Agreed. So an appeal on the grounds of judicial misfeasance should result in -- what? A finding of mistrial?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 12:19 pm
Here's a link to Justice Scalia's January 11, 2006, majority opinion in Brown v. Sanders:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/04-980.ZO.html

Quote:
We consider the circumstances in which an invalidated sentencing factor will render a death sentence unconstitutional by reason of its adding an improper element to the aggravation scale in the jury's weighing process....

...due process requires a defendant's death sentence to be set aside if the reason for the invalidity of the eligibility factor is that it ... attache[s] the "aggravating" label to factors that are constitutionally impermissible or totally irrelevant to the sentencing process....

Kidnapping is a criminal offense prescribed by 18 U.S.C. § 1201. Under the grading provision of this statute, kidnapping is punished by a term of years or life. If the kidnapping results in the death of any person, the crime is punished by life imprisonment (the mandatory sentence if no aggravating factors are found) or death (the greater punishment that may be imposed if an ADDITIONAL aggravating factor is found beyond a reasonable doubt).

Using the defendant's conviction on the underlying offense as an aggravating factor in the death penalty phase violates the double jeopardy clause that protects a defendant from MULTIPLE punishments for the same offense. "Kidnapping resulting in death" is already an aggravated offense that mandates a life sentence. The government cannot use that same aggravated offense, kidnapping resulting in death, to impose a greater punishment (death) than what the law allows for the same offense. To do so is constitutionally impermissible under the DJ clause.

If Rodriguez is sentenced to death, I believe the use of an invalid aggravating factor will require the sentence to be set aside as unconstitutional. If so, the case would be remanded back to the trial court for resentencing--and a new jury could possibly still sentence him to death--but how many YEARS and taxpayer dollars will be wasted in the process?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:00 pm
18 U.S.C. § 1201 doesn't define "kidnapping resulting in death" as an offense. Someone convicted under 18 U.S.C. § 1201 would be convicted of "kidnapping". There is no crime of "kidnapping resulting in death".

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/ts_search.pl?title=18&sec=1201

If someone is convicted under that section of law they "shall be punished by imprisonment for any term of years or for life and, if the death of any person results, shall be punished by death or life imprisonment."

Now it seems to me that, once the individual is convicted of kidnapping, it would be necessary to prove at sentencing that they killed the kidnapped person during the commision of their crime for them to get the death penalty. The death of the kidnapped person plays ONLY into the sentencing - not the original crime charged.

The conviction was for kidnapping, the additional aggravating factor was the death of the kidnapped person.

You also ignored another portion of Brown v. Sanders decision that appears to invalidate your own claim here.

"Since Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238 (1972) (per curiam), we have required States to limit the class of murderers to which the death penalty may be applied. This narrowing requirement is usually met when the trier of fact finds at least one statutorily defined eligibility factor at either the guilt or penalty phase.sometimes identical to the eligibility factors) that are to be weighed against mitigating considerations. The issue in the line of cases we confront here is what happens when the sentencer imposes the death penalty after at least one valid eligibility factor has been found, but under a scheme in which an eligibility factor or a specified aggravating factor is later held to be invalid."

(Emphasis mine...)

It appears that the USSC recognizes that there are occassions where the eligibility and aggravating factors are one in the same.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:14 pm
fishin wrote:
18 U.S.C. § 1201 doesn't define "kidnapping resulting in death" as an offense. Someone convicted under 18 U.S.C. § 1201 would be convicted of "kidnapping". There is no crime of "kidnapping resulting in death".

If someone is convicted under that section of law they "shall be punished by imprisonment for any term of years or for life and, if the death of any person results, shall be punished by death or life imprisonment."

18 U.S.C. § 1201 clearly and unambiguously defines two kidnapping offenses. The lesser crime is kidnapping. The greater (aggravated) crime is kidnapping resulting in death.

fishin wrote:
Now it seems to me that, once the individual is convicted of kidnapping, it would be necessary to prove at sentencing that they killed the kidnapped person during the commision of their crime for them to get the death penalty. The death of the kidnapped person plays ONLY into the sentencing - not the original crime charged.

You're wrong.

fishin wrote:
The conviction was for kidnapping, the additional aggravating factor was the death of the kidnapped person.

You're wrong. The Rodriguez conviction was for kidnapping resulting in death. The penalty is life imprisonment or death as set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 1201.

Before the death penalty may be imposed, the government must comply with the requirements of the death penalty statutory scheme. See 18 U.S.C. § 3591 et seq.

fishin wrote:
You also ignored another portion of Brown v. Sanders decision that appears to invalidate your own claim here.

I didn't ignore any portion of the cited case. I copied and pasted the relevant portion of the case wherein the court told us the circumstances in which an invalidated sentencing factor will render a death sentence unconstitutional.

Quoting Brown v. Sanders, fishin wrote:
"Since Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238 (1972) (per curiam), we have required States to limit the class of murderers to which the death penalty may be applied. This narrowing requirement is usually met when the trier of fact finds at least one statutorily defined eligibility factor at either the guilt or penalty phase.sometimes identical to the eligibility factors) that are to be weighed against mitigating considerations. The issue in the line of cases we confront here is what happens when the sentencer imposes the death penalty after at least one valid eligibility factor has been found, but under a scheme in which an eligibility factor or a specified aggravating factor is later held to be invalid."

(Emphasis mine...)

You are assuming that the conviction of kidnapping resulting in death is an "eligibility" factor. It is not. The eligibility factors in the federal code are set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 3591:

Quote:

fishin wrote:
It appears that the USSC recognizes that there are occassions where the eligibility and aggravating factors are one in the same.

Under our federal code, kidnapping resulting in death is an offense for which a sentence of life imprisonment or death is provided. However, the defendant is not eligible for the death penalty unless an "intent" element is proved beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't see any "overlapping" problem with eligibility factors and aggravating factors in the case we're discussing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:27 am
Debra_Law wrote:
fishin wrote:

18 U.S.C. § 1201 clearly and unambiguously defines two kidnapping offenses. The lesser crime is kidnapping. The greater (aggravated) crime is kidnapping resulting in death.

For something that, as you say, is "clearly and unambiguously" defined, it doesn't appear to be there at all. I posted the link to the section of law you referenced. There is NO mention of aggravated kidnapping at all (as there are in many state statutes). There is ONE offense listed - kidnapping.

Quote:
fishin wrote:

I didn't ignore any portion of the cited case. I copied and pasted the relevant portion of the case wherein the court told us the circumstances in which an invalidated sentencing factor will render a death sentence unconstitutional.

You ignored plenty of it. Even if all of your other claims were true - which they aren't - you ignored the entire premise of the ruling.

From your 1st post:
Quote:
WAIT A MINUTE! The defendant was already convicted of kidnapping resulting in death in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201. The conviction on the underlying offense cannot serve as an aggravating factor. The conviction on the underlying offense means that the court must impose a life sentence--but the court cannot impose a death sentence unless an additional element (the existence of one or more aggravating factors) is proved and a jury conducts a weighing process and finds that aggravating factors are sufficient to justify the death penalty.

Not surprising, the jury found the existence of this first "aggravating factor" beyond a reasonable doubt--and why not? The jury had already convicted him of the offense. This finding of an improper aggravating factor TAINTS the jury's deliberations in the death penalty phase and how can one claim this to be harmless error when a man's life is at stake?

So where is the error here? The court and jury, operating under Sattazahn v Pennsylvania (Which is just a continuation of rulings that began with Bullington) must treat the sentencing phase as a seperate trial (hence the double jeopardy issue) and, to impose the death penalty, the state (or Federal gov in this case) must prove murder +1 (at least 1 additional aggravating factor).

How can proving a murder was committed during the penalty phase be considered double jeopardy when it is required to be proved (under Sattazahn) during that phase? Under your concept anyone convincted of murder would automatically be exempted from the possibility of the death penatly. In Ring v. Arizona the element of the basic crime (murder) was also submitted in the penalty phase and upheld by the USSC. (In Ring the sentencing decision was rendered by a lone judge as allowed under AZ law, not a jury as in this case.)

In this case they found murder + 2 additional aggravating factors. (3 factors in total out of the 4 presented). That appears to comply with both Sattazahn and Ring.

Which takes us back to the basic premise of Brown v. Sanders where you quoted only part of Scalia's statement. "An invalidated sentencing factor (whether an eligibility factor or not) will render the sentence unconstitutional by reason of its adding an improper element to the aggravation scale in the weighing process unless one of the other sentencing factors enables the sentencer to give aggravating weight to the same facts and circumstances.[/b]".

In determining whether or not the murder was premeditated how was the jury NOT supposed to consider whether there was a murder?

(I still can't find a link to the jury directions you claim to have read so if you have one I'd appreciate you posting it.)
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 03:19 am
fishin:

The Double Jeopardy Clause protects persons from multiple punishments for the same offense.

Example of typical double jeopardy claim:

Your state has a sentence enhancement statute that doubles the maximum sentence upon conviction of an offense if you use a dangerous weapon in the commission of the crime.

CRIME + Aggravating Factor = Enhanced Punishment

Hypothetical statute: Assault--Whoever shall willfully cause bodily injury to another person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished with a maximum term of one year imprisonment and, if a dangerous weapon is used in the commission of the assault, he shall be guilty of a felony and punished with a maximum term of five years imprisonment.

ASSAULT = 1 year maximum

ASSAULT + USE of DANGEROUS WEAPON = 5 years maximum imprisonment

Application of the sentencing enhancement statute:

ASSAULT + USE of DANGEROUS WEAPON + (SAME) USE of DANGEROUS WEAPON = 10 years maximum imprisonment.

When the weapon enhancement statute is applied to an offender's felony assault conviction, the offender is subjected to double punishment for use of a weapon. The double jeopardy clause was designed to prohibit this form of multiple punishment.

The same holds true under the federal kidnapping statute:

KIDNAPPING = Term of Years

KIDNAPPING + RESULTING IN DEATH = Life Imprisonment

KIDNAPPING + RESULTING IN DEATH + AGGRAVATING FACTOR = Death Penalty

SO, here's the error:

KIDNAPPING + RESULTING IN DEATH + (SAME) KIDNAPPING (resulting in death) = Death Penalty

This formulation is unconstitutional under the Double Jeopardy Clause. The underlying offense that carries a maximum penalty of life in the absence of aggravating factors cannot be used again and labeled as an aggravating factor in the death penalty phase.

This takes us back to the passage I originally quoted from Brown v. Sanders:

Quote:
We consider the circumstances in which an invalidated sentencing factor will render a death sentence unconstitutional by reason of its adding an improper element to the aggravation scale in the jury's weighing process....

...due process requires a defendant's death sentence to be set aside if the reason for the invalidity of the eligibility factor is that it ... attache[s] the "aggravating" label to factors that are constitutionally impermissible or totally irrelevant to the sentencing process....

I'm sorry that you don't understand, but I tried my best to explain it to you.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 03:59 am
fishin wrote:

(I still can't find a link to the jury directions you claim to have read so if you have one I'd appreciate you posting it.)

You have to look in the "news" section at this court website and click on the links provided.

Guilt Phase
Instructions to the Jury
Final Instructions
August News: http://www.ndcourts.com/court/new.htm

Page 6:

Quote:
Instruction No. 4

KIDNAPPING RESULTING IN DEATH - ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS

The offense of kidnapping resulting in death as charged in the Indictment has four essential elements, which are:

One: Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr., knowingly acting contrary to law, kidnapped, seized, confined, inveigled, decoyed, abducted or otherwise carried away Dru Katrina Sjodin;

Two: Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr. held Dru Katrina Sjodin for some purpose or benefit;

Three: Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr. willfully, knowingly, and unlawfully transported Dru Katrina Sjodin in interstate commerce while she was so kidnapped, seized, confined, inveigled, decoyed, abducted or otherwise carried away; and

Four: the death of Dru Katrina Sjodin resulted from the conduct.

For you to find Mr. Rodriguez guilty of this offense, the government must prove each of these essential elements beyond a reasonable doubt; otherwise you must find him not guilty.

Death Penalty Phase
Instructions to the Jury
Final Eligibility Phase Instructions
September News: http://www.ndcourts.com/court/new.htm

page 6:

Quote:
The first statutory aggravating factor alleged by the government is that the defendant caused the death of Dru Sjodin during the commission of a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201 (kidnapping).

Death Penalty Phase
Special Verdict Form
http://www.ndcourts.com/court/new.htm

Quote:
II. SECTION TWO
STATUTORY AGGRAVATING FACTORS

1. Do you, the jury, unanimously find that the United States has established beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr., caused Dru Katrina Sjodin's death during the commission of the offense of kidnapping by the defendant?

YES _____ NO _____

Again:

CRIME + AGGRAVATING FACTOR = Death Penalty

CRIME (kidnapping + resulting in death) + AGGRAVATING FACTOR (same kidnapping resulting in death) = Death Penalty = Violation of Double Jeopardy Clause
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:46 am
fishin wrote:
For something that, as you say, is "clearly and unambiguously" defined, it doesn't appear to be there at all. I posted the link to the section of law you referenced. There is NO mention of aggravated kidnapping at all (as there are in many state statutes). There is ONE offense listed - kidnapping.

Since I'm not a jurist, I don't know the relevant court precedences. But Debra's point emerges clearly from the plain language of the statute:
    Whoever unlawfully seizes, confines, inveigles, decoys, kidnaps, abducts, or carries away and holds for ransom or reward or otherwise any person [...] shall be punished by imprisonment for any term of years or for life and, if the death of any person results, shall be punished by death or life imprisonment.

(I omitted an exception that isn't relevant to your disagreement. It deals with parents 'kidnapping' their own children.)

The statute clearly distinguishes between kidnapping that results in death and kidnapping that doesn't. It also says that life imprisonment is a possible punishment for kidnapping resulting in death. In this case the jury found that Rodriguez kidnapped Sjodin, resulting in her death. The next decision for the jury is to choose between capital punishment or life imprisonment. At this point, it's old news for the jury that Sjodin died as a result of the kidnapping. To justify a death sentence, the jury would have to find new news -- aggravating factors beyond the mere kidnapping and the mere death of the victim.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:08 am
It certainly looks like bootstrapping to me. I think Debra's interpretation is correct: even though the government may contend that there is only one crime (kidnapping), in truth there are effectively two distinct crimes here -- kidnapping and kidnapping resulting in death. The death of the kidnapping victim is not an element of aggravation, it is an essential element of the crime that the prosecution had to prove in order to move to the sentencing phase, where the only options are life imprisonment or the death penalty. Had the government not proven the death, it would not have been able to seek the death penalty at the sentencing phase. So counting the death of the victim as an aggravating factor in the sentencing phase is tantamount to saying that the defendant should be punished more severely for the death of the victim because the victim died. And that ain't right.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 10:17 am
joefromchicago wrote:
The death of the kidnapping victim is not an element of aggravation, it is an essential element of the crime that the prosecution had to prove in order to move to the sentencing phase, where the only options are life imprisonment or the death penalty. Had the government not proven the death, it would not have been able to seek the death penalty at the sentencing phase. So counting the death of the victim as an aggravating factor in the sentencing phase is tantamount to saying that the defendant should be punished more severely for the death of the victim because the victim died. And that ain't right.

Then how do you explain Ring?

The complete instruction in the Rodriguez case was "The first statutory aggravating factor alleged by the government is that the defendant caused the death of Dru Sjodin during the commission of a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201 (kidnapping). In order for this statutory aggravating factor to exist you must unanimously find that the government has proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Alfonso Rodriguez caused Dru Sjodin's death, or caused an injury resulting in her death, during the commission of, or attempted commission of, or during his immediate flight from the commission of, the crime of kidnapping."

And from Ring we have: "The death sentence may be imposed only if the judge finds at least one aggravating circumstance and no mitigating circumstances sufficiently substantial to call for leniency. Following such a hearing, Ring's trial judge sentenced him to death. Because the jury had convicted Ring of felony murder, not premeditated murder, Ring would be eligible for the death penalty only if he was, inter alia, the victim's actual killer. See Enmund v. Florida, 458 U. S. 782. Citing accomplice testimony at the sentencing hearing, the judge found that Ring was the killer."

Doesn't the jury in this case also have to find that the victim not only died - but died due to action by the defendant just as they did in Ring? Rodriguez hasn't been convicted of murder. He was convicted of kidnapping resulting in death.

Let me clarify this for a second here. Let's say Person A is kidnapped by person B. Person A is then taken to some location where there may or may not be additional individuals. Person A dies.

At this point person B can be found guilty of kidnapping resulting in death.

But who killed person A? For person B to get the death penalty doesn't it have to be proven that they were the actual killer?

Does a guilty verdict for "kidnapping resulting in death" automatically presume that the kidnapper was also the killer? If so, what happens if a 3rd party actually kills person A?

If you'll reread the 1st aggravating factor as listed they weren't instructed to find whether or not a kidnapping resulting in death happened or not. They were asked to find wherther or not Rodriguez was the person responsible for that death - just as the judge did in Ring. That doesn't sound like double jeopardy to me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 10:38 am
Debra_Law wrote:
Instruction No. 4

KIDNAPPING RESULTING IN DEATH - ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS

The offense of kidnapping resulting in death as charged in the Indictment has four essential elements, which are:

One: Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr., knowingly acting contrary to law, kidnapped, seized, confined, inveigled, decoyed, abducted or otherwise carried away Dru Katrina Sjodin;

Two: Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr. held Dru Katrina Sjodin for some purpose or benefit;

Three: Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr. willfully, knowingly, and unlawfully transported Dru Katrina Sjodin in interstate commerce while she was so kidnapped, seized, confined, inveigled, decoyed, abducted or otherwise carried away; and

Four: the death of Dru Katrina Sjodin resulted from the conduct.

For you to find Mr. Rodriguez guilty of this offense, the government must prove each of these essential elements beyond a reasonable doubt; otherwise you must find him not guilty.

So where is the fact the Rodriguez was the person that killed the victim here as an essential element? It isn't in that list. While it says that there was a death, there is no element listed indicating that Rodriguez actually caused the death. Based on the listed elements someone else could have done the actual killing and he'd still be found guilty.

Quote:

page 6:

Quote:
The first statutory aggravating factor alleged by the government is that the defendant caused the death of Dru Sjodin during the commission of a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201 (kidnapping).

Death Penalty Phase
Special Verdict Form
http://www.ndcourts.com/court/new.htm

Quote:
II. SECTION TWO
STATUTORY AGGRAVATING FACTORS

1. Do you, the jury, unanimously find that the United States has established beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr., caused Dru Katrina Sjodin's death during the commission of the offense of kidnapping by the defendant?

YES _____ NO _____

But it is listed as an aggravating factor....

Quote:
Again:

CRIME + AGGRAVATING FACTOR = Death Penalty

CRIME (kidnapping + resulting in death) + AGGRAVATING FACTOR (same kidnapping resulting in death) = Death Penalty = Violation of Double Jeopardy Clause

CRIME (kidnapping + resulting in death) + AGGRAVATING FACTOR (finding that the kidnapper was the actual perpetrator of the act resulting in the death) = Death Penalty = No Violation of Double Jeopardy Clause
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:07 pm
fishin wrote:
CRIME (kidnapping + resulting in death) + AGGRAVATING FACTOR (finding that the kidnapper was the actual perpetrator of the act resulting in the death) = Death Penalty = No Violation of Double Jeopardy Clause

Fishin --

Please help me understand your logic here. How, in your opinion, would the facts of this case have to be different so the jury could have found that:

(1) Rodriguez was guilty of having committed a kidnapping resulting in death, but

(2) Rodriguez wasn't the actual perpetrator of the act resulting in the death.

Kidnapping is certainly an act, and we all agree that Rodriguez perpetrated it. Hence I don't see how, under your interpretation of the law, a jury could logically reach both verdicts at the same time.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 04:36 pm
Thomas wrote:
fishin wrote:

Fishin --

Please help me understand your logic here. How, in your opinion, would the facts of this case have to be different so the jury could have found that:

(1) Rodriguez was guilty of having committed a kidnapping resulting in death, but

(2) Rodriguez wasn't the actual perpetrator of the act resulting in the death.

Kidnapping is certainly an act, and we all agree that Rodriguez perpetrated it. Hence I don't see how, under your interpretation of the law, a jury could logically reach both verdicts at the same time.

There were two acts. The kidnapping resulted in death but it didn't cause the death. If I kidnap you by forcing you into a car and then detain you in an apartment do you automatically die? No! Kidnapping doesn't cause death.

In the original trial (guilt phase) the jury was asked to decide if Rodriquez was guilty of kidnapping resulting in death and they found him guilty. In the penalty phase they were asked to decide if he had also committed the second act that caused the death. They had to decide if she died at his hand. In this case, the second act was committed during the commission of the first.

Let's say a person is abducted (kidnapped). In the days following, while they are being held against their will, they have a heart attack and die. The coroner rules that the victim would have had the heart attack and died even if they hadn't been kidnapped.

Then we have a second kidnapping where the kidnapper beats the victim to death with a baseball bat.

Then we have a thrid case where a person is kidnapped and an associate of the kidnapper and the kidnapper get into a fight. The assocaite knocks the kidnapper unconcious and, 2 hours later, shoots the victim - killing them.

In all 3 cases someone is kidnapped and all 3 resulted in a death. All 3 kidnappers could be charged with kidnapping resulting in death.

Only one of them (the 2nd) could have the act causing death used as an aggravating factor though. The kidnapping didn't cause the death in any of them. One was a natural heart attack, one was a beating and the 3rd was a shooting.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 04:38 pm
fishin wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
The death of the kidnapping victim is not an element of aggravation, it is an essential element of the crime that the prosecution had to prove in order to move to the sentencing phase, where the only options are life imprisonment or the death penalty. Had the government not proven the death, it would not have been able to seek the death penalty at the sentencing phase. So counting the death of the victim as an aggravating factor in the sentencing phase is tantamount to saying that the defendant should be punished more severely for the death of the victim because the victim died. And that ain't right.

Then how do you explain Ring?

The complete instruction in the Rodriguez case was "The first statutory aggravating factor alleged by the government is that the defendant caused the death of Dru Sjodin during the commission of a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201 (kidnapping). In order for this statutory aggravating factor to exist you must unanimously find that the government has proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Alfonso Rodriguez caused Dru Sjodin's death, or caused an injury resulting in her death, during the commission of, or attempted commission of, or during his immediate flight from the commission of, the crime of kidnapping."

And from Ring we have: "The death sentence may be imposed only if the judge finds at least one aggravating circumstance and no mitigating circumstances sufficiently substantial to call for leniency. Following such a hearing, Ring's trial judge sentenced him to death. Because the jury had convicted Ring of felony murder, not premeditated murder, Ring would be eligible for the death penalty only if he was, inter alia, the victim's actual killer. See Enmund v. Florida, 458 U. S. 782. Citing accomplice testimony at the sentencing hearing, the judge found that Ring was the killer."

Doesn't the jury in this case also have to find that the victim not only died - but died due to action by the defendant just as they did in Ring? Rodriguez hasn't been convicted of murder. He was convicted of kidnapping resulting in death.

There are two parts of a death penalty analysis. The first part is the determination is whether the defendant is ELIGIBILE for the death penalty. This eligibility determination NARROWS the field of convicted felons who may be subject to the death penalty. Under Arizona law, one of the eligibility factors, among other eligibility factors, is a determination of whether the defendant is the victim's actual killer. Even if Ring wasn't the "actual killer," Ring still might have been found eligible for the death penalty under some other eligibilty factor set forth in the state death penalty statute. Under federal law, the eligibility factors are set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 3591.

If the defendant is found "eligible," then the factfinder moves on to the second part of the determination. The jury must consider the mitigating and aggravating factors set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 3592, weigh those factors, and determine whether the imposition of a sentence of death is justified. This is the weighing process referred to in Justice Scalia's majority opinion in Brown v. Sanders: "We consider the circumstances in which an invalidated sentencing factor will render a death sentence unconstitutional by reason of its adding an improper element to the aggravation scale in the jury's weighing process."

In Ring v. Arizona, AFTER Ring was found eligible, then the Court considered whether any aggravating factors existed: "Citing accomplice testimony at the sentencing hearing, the judge found that Ring was the killer. The judge then found two aggravating factors, one of them, that the offense was committed for pecuniary gain, as well as one mitigating factor, Ring's minimal criminal record, and ruled that the latter did not call for leniency." Ring wasn't sentenced to death because he was the "actual killer." Ring was sentenced to death because the offense was committed for pecuniary gain. The eligibility factors do not trigger the death penalty. It's the aggravating factors that are the key.

Under federal law, 18 U.S.C. § 3593 (d), "If no aggravating factor set forth in section 3592 is found to exist, the court shall impose a sentence other than death authorized by law." Thus, the finding of at least one aggravating factor is essential before a court may impose the death penalty.

In the guilt phase, the jury found, as an essential element of the crime charged, that the victim's death was the result of the defendant's unlawful conduct engaged in during the course of the kidnapping. There is no difference between this finding of an essential element of the crime charged in the guilt phase and the aggravating factor that the jury was asked to find in the penalty phase: "Do you, the jury, unanimously find that the United States has established beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr., caused Dru Katrina Sjodin's death during the commission of the offense of kidnapping by the defendant?"

Quote:
Let me clarify this for a second here. Let's say Person A is kidnapped by person B. Person A is then taken to some location where there may or may not be additional individuals. Person A dies.

At this point person B can be found guilty of kidnapping resulting in death.

But who killed person A? For person B to get the death penalty doesn't it have to be proven that they were the actual killer?

No. For B to be ELIGIBLE for the death penalty, the government doesn't have to prove that he was the actual killer. Under the federal eligibility factors, 18 U.S.C. § 3593 (C) & (D), some person other than B may be the actual killer, but B would still be eligible for the death penalty.

Quote:
Does a guilty verdict for "kidnapping resulting in death" automatically presume that the kidnapper was also the killer? If so, what happens if a 3rd party actually kills person A?

There may be more than one offender participating in a kidnapping resulting in death and all participants could be charged and convicted and all participants could be eligible for the death penalty under 18 U.S.C. § 3593 (C) & (D) regardless of the identity of the participant who actually applied the lethal force.

Quote:
If you'll reread the 1st aggravating factor as listed they weren't instructed to find whether or not a kidnapping resulting in death happened or not. They were asked to find wherther or not Rodriguez was the person responsible for that death - just as the judge did in Ring. That doesn't sound like double jeopardy to me.

You're trying to make a distinction that doesn't exist.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 12:06 am
Jurors left with mixed emotions

September 24, 2006

Quote:
"Life in prison wasn't punishing him because he got along fine in prison."

Carter said she understood the pleas by Rodriguez's family, but "everybody has family."

The sentencing verdict, which recorded how many jurors voted for each of the defense's 30 mitigating factors, showed the jury found the crime outweighed the trauma and circumstances in Rodriguez's life.

"We live in an area that's almost protected from such extreme violence," Heuer said. "It weighs on each and every one of us. I think it was the right decision in this case."

Both Heuer and Carter said they struggled with a death verdict, but the jury, including four alternates, came to see themselves as a family.

"We leaned on each other for life experiences," Heuer said. "I really didn't expect as much closeness."

Carter struggled to sign her name on the verdict form authorizing Rodriguez's death because of her faith and belief that in North Dakota "it's not really our way of doing things."

Still, she's comfortable with the decision.

"The magnitude of this crime, the terribleness of it, I think it was a shock to the people of this community," Carter said.

With the trial behind them, jurors said they must find a way to deal with emotions they've bottled up inside. The court offered jurors counseling if they choose.

"There were some days I would come home and have a hard time," Carter said. "The next week or two will be rather difficult."

She thinks of the grief felt by the Sjodin family.

"I feel like the right thing was done, but it really doesn't help them a lot," she said.

The foreman said he might struggle, too, as he shifts attention back to work.

"I did lots of crying last night (Friday)," Heuer said. "You break down. How can you not?"

Those tears, he said, came for a number of reasons. "The easiest to put your finger on is the compassion for Dru," Heuer said. "The other part is struggling with that decision. … It's one day at a time. Hopefully, my faith and good Lord will support me and help me go forward."

Link
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 12:14 am
Quote:
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - The foreman of the jury that handed down North Dakota's first death sentence in nearly 100 years says it came down to three votes and a question of punishment for a horrific crime.

"As a Christian person I didn't know if I could agree to the death penalty," said Terry Heuer, 51, of Leonard, the foreman of the jury that sentenced Alfonso Rodriguez to death for killing University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin.

"But it came down to, 'Was life in prison really a punishment for this particular case?"' Heuer said Sunday.

Rodriguez, 53, of Crookston, Minn., was found guilty late last month in federal court in Fargo of a charge of kidnapping resulting in the death of Sjodin, 22, of Pequot Lakes, Minn. She disappeared from a Grand Forks shopping mall parking lot on Nov. 22, 2003, and her body was found the following April in a ravine near Crookston. Authorities said she was beaten, raped and stabbed.

Evidence including the knife Rodriguez used to cut Sjodin's throat and the rope that bound her arms were present in the jury room. Heuer, his voice wavering, said Sunday that those images and the memories of the trial - and the ultimate decision - will stay with him.

"I don't know that I have an opinion one way or the other on the death penalty," he said. "I made this decision personally just on this case. It comes down to - we end up having to deal with that for the rest of our lives."

The death penalty sentence on Friday came after six weeks of testimony in three separate phases of the trial. The jury of seven women and five men had to determine whether Rodriguez was guilty, whether he was eligible for the death penalty, and whether he should get that punishment. They answered yes all three times.

The final time, it took three votes to reach a unanimous decision, said Heuer and Arlys Carter, 71, of Lisbon, another jury member. Each of the first two votes came back 11-1 for death, with the one holdout juror finally deciding to change his mind, they said.

Heuer said the final juror, whom he did not name, was not pressured.

"Everybody had to make up their own mind on this," he said. "It's a traumatic thing to go through."

After the first 11-1 vote on Thursday afternoon, jurors left for the day early because "everybody just needed to come back fresh," Heuer said.

A vote early Friday again was 11-1, but the unanimous decision was reached after a little more discussion, he said.

"We were a very conscientious bunch of people," Heuer said. "We were very, very careful with each" of the 30 factors offered by defence lawyers to support life in prison instead of death.

In the end, those factors, including a childhood of poverty, sexual abuse and possible brain damage from exposure to farm chemicals, were not enough to warrant mercy, Carter said.

"He didn't show (Sjodin) mercy, and neither did he show any remorse that we could see," Carter said. "He was very expressionless through the whole procedure. He did smile when his niece and nephew came into the courtroom. I have no doubt he was fond of his family, and they of him, and that didn't make our decision any easier.

"I think we all felt that the evidence was so overwhelming to one side," Carter said. "There was very little defence for his side. It was just not enough to hold on to."

Carter said the four alternate jurors said they also would have voted for death, "which made us feel good."

Heuer said jurors "looked and looked and looked" for remorse and did not find it. Neither did they believe that Rodriguez was accepting responsibility for Sjodin's death, as his lawyers claimed, when he offered in March to plead guilty in return for a life sentence.

"I have very strong faith," Carter said, "and I think (Rodriguez) still has his chance for mercy like all the rest of us do."

Carter and Heuer said the jurors did not believe prison was a fitting punishment for Rodriguez.

"From all we heard he adjusted very well to prison life, that he behaved very well, and did not seem unhappy there," Carter said.

Rodriguez had gotten out of prison about six months before Sjodin's killing, after serving 23 years for earlier assaults against women.

North Dakota's last execution was in 1905 and the last person sentenced to death in the state was spared 10 years later. The state eventually abolished its death penalty law. Rodriguez was prosecuted in federal court, where a death sentence is allowed.

Carter said she hopes the issue does not arise for another 100 years, though she felt honoured and privileged to serve in this case.

"I would never want to do it again, but I would not have wanted to miss the opportunity to do it once," she said.

LINK

As long as this man is in prison, he's not a threat to society. He's not a threat to the prison guards or staff. The fact that he adjusted well to prison life should have been a factor in favor of a life sentence. The jury, however, considered this a factor that warranted the death penalty.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 04:10 pm
I read this entire thread. I am sure that Justice Scalia is happy that he does not have the enormous legal intellect of Joe from Chicago opposed to him. Judge Scalia also does not have to face the incredibly legal erudition of Debra LAW. I am going to write to Judge Scalia and tell him to beware of Joe from Chicago and Debra Law that despite their current unjust and unfortunate placements in the legal bureaucracy( alas, they haven't been elected to the Supreme Court as yet--due, no doubt to the fear they strike in the hearts of the poorly informed judges Scalia, Roberts, Alito and Thomas.

Perhaps, soon this can be remedied and we can get justice.

How could the Supreme Court Justices have missed Joe from Chicago and Debra Law's incredible talent? These people should have been at the very least, clerks for someone on the Supreme Court like the malignant dwarf--Bader or the superannuated Liberal--John Paul Stevens.

I look for the inevitable triumph of Justice and the ascencion of Debra LAW and Joe from Chicago to the higher reaches of the court system.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 02:44 am
MarionT wrote:
I read this entire thread. I am sure that Justice Scalia is happy that he does not have the enormous legal intellect of Joe from Chicago opposed to him. Judge Scalia also does not have to face the incredibly legal erudition of Debra LAW. I am going to write to Judge Scalia and tell him to beware of Joe from Chicago and Debra Law that despite their current unjust and unfortunate placements in the legal bureaucracy( alas, they haven't been elected to the Supreme Court as yet--due, no doubt to the fear they strike in the hearts of the poorly informed judges Scalia, Roberts, Alito and Thomas.

Perhaps, soon this can be remedied and we can get justice.

How could the Supreme Court Justices have missed Joe from Chicago and Debra Law's incredible talent? These people should have been at the very least, clerks for someone on the Supreme Court like the malignant dwarf--Bader or the superannuated Liberal--John Paul Stevens.

I look for the inevitable triumph of Justice and the ascencion of Debra LAW and Joe from Chicago to the higher reaches of the court system.

MarionT: You write in exactly the same manner as MortBat & Bernard, et al. You use his/her/its exact style, almost word for word. In other words, you aren't fooling anyone. If you wish to reinvent yourself, you should try to be a little more original. Maybe next time?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 04:23 am
From time to time our multiple personality afflicted friend forgets which persona he's modeling, Debra.
0 Replies