Karakter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 07:30 am
I was browsing through Blockbuster a few days ago. In the pre-viewed tapes, I spotted a film called Karakter (or Character). I had never heard of it, but they wanted 4.99 plus a 20% discount, so I figured I would take a chance on it.

It is about 5 years old, in Dutch with English subtitles. It was about a young man, born to a single mother, and his relationships (or non-relationships) with his parents. It hit me, (and my husband) like a ton of bricks. It was a totally engrossing movie, with great mood and directoral touches.

Have you seen it, and what did you think?

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0119448
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,406 • Replies: 7
No top replies

wintersgm

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:30 am
Thanks Phoenix, sounds like my kind of movie. I'm going to look for it. Many years ago I saw a movie called "The Two of Us" which was a french film about a young jewish boy who is sent to the country to protect him. His relationship with his grandfather is wonderful.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:20 am
Karakter is the kind of film that you don't enjoy much while viewing it, but leaves deep imprints on you.
It reminded me of a short story by Philip K. Dick, "The PReserving Machine", in which a scientist makes insects out of musical compositions. As the insects struggle for survival, the tune changes into horrid sounds.
That's what "making it" in society is, specially in that place and era.
It is sad -it is also common, yet strange- that many parents do similar things to their offspring: they teach them survival, "character", but make sorry, utterly unhappy human beings.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:35 pm
wintersgm- Welcome to Able2Know! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:00 pm
I saw this on the Independent Film Channel but somehow don't remember much about it (maybe I was sleepy or too much St. Francis Vineyard Merlot! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:21 pm
Lightwizard- It is the kind of film that you can watch on many levels. Now that I know the story, I think that I will see it again in a few months, and observe the way the director presented the film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:42 pm
I, too, will revisit it, sans the Merlot! Well, it's definitely a cognac kind of movie anyway.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 01:57 pm
Welcome wintersgm. May you enjoy this site as I do. A lot of bright and helpful people reside here. Enjoy.
0 Replies